Looking at a 2012 with 192K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I looking at a 2012 Ram 4x4. It has the 5.7 hemi with the 6speed trans. The truck has 192K. It drove out good with no issues, but I'm worried about the trans. The fluid was bright pink and smelled good. Just not sure on how long the trans will last.

Should I pass or go for it. The price was real good.

satxwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I think you have to weigh cost vs anticipated years of service out of it. Obviously at that mileage it's far from a new truck anymore. If it were me I'd consider how many miles I drive per year, how reliable of a vehicle I NEED, and then how long until that puts me into super high mileage territory. With that many miles on such a young vehicle though, you can bet a lot were highway miles.

BigHornDan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would look for something else. Even if the transfer is good to go, the rest of the truck is still wore out--suspension components, heat/air, electronics, etc.. I'd look for something with far less miles

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would look for something else. Even if the transfer is good to go, the rest of the truck is still wore out--suspension components, heat/air, electronics, etc.. I'd look for something with far less miles

I'm with this dude.

That's a lot of seat time and there's no telling when things will start failing.

I'd keep looking around.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What these fellas said.

I'm only at 40ish k and I still expect to see **** flyin off goin down the road, lol.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Depends on cost honestly. I recently bought a 2010 with 147k I have put about 3k into it to catch up maintance so far I have had it for 7k miles and almost 6 months. I had 1 real issue the solinoids in the trans went out. I fully expect to have to put a trans in this truck but a trans is only 4 months worth of payments If the truck will be paid for. I think they are very reliable trucks and with 200k on a 4 year old truck that's 50k a year that's some serious highway miles so unless they have all been pulling a trailer it should still be in good shape.

OP
OP
X

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So why'd you sell it?

I'll make this short. I traded the 11 quad cab for a 14 crew cab. I lost my 60K year job in Feb., company closed it's doors. My son decided he wanted to go to college this fall and my daughter will be going to college next fall. So I sold it back to the dealership. My job now pays half of what I was making, so a newer low mileage ram is not in the budget. I have been looking at Gen 2 Rams and paying cash or Gen 3 Rams with a small short loan. This was a way to get into a Gen 4 Ram at Gen 3 prices as we are in the 12K price range ( still negotiating ).

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I'll make this short. I traded the 11 quad cab for a 14 crew cab. I lost my 60K year job in Feb., company closed it's doors. My son decided he wanted to go to college this fall and my daughter will be going to college next fall. So I sold it back to the dealership. My job now pays half of what I was making, so a newer low mileage ram is not in the budget. I have been looking at Gen 2 Rams and paying cash or Gen 3 Rams with a small short loan. This was a way to get into a Gen 4 Ram at Gen 3 prices as we are in the 12K price range ( still negotiating ).

For what it's worth I bought a 2010 crew cab 2wd lone star for 10500.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

If he wants 12k for a 2012 with 192k miles on it...then my 2012 Laramie should be worth 136k....seeing as how it only has 17,018 miles on it.

That's crazy for those miles

OP
OP
X

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If he wants 12k for a 2012 with 192k miles on it...then my 2012 Laramie should be worth 136k....seeing as how it only has 17,018 miles on it.

That's crazy for those miles

It books for 17,700 NADA, 18,500 Black Book, and 15,900 KBB with those miles. It needs a few things fixed on it like new tires, brakes, etc.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
is this a private sale or dealer. Have the dealer (if this is the case) throw in new tires, brakes etc and settle on 12k. If these were mostly easy going highway miles the truck will just be broken in so I say get'er done.

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been in your shoes man, I would look for any brand of truck with the lowest miles possible so I could get the best bang for my buck.

OP
OP
X

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
is this a private sale or dealer. Have the dealer (if this is the case) throw in new tires, brakes etc and settle on 12k. If these were mostly easy going highway miles the truck will just be broken in so I say get'er done.

This is a dealer. They are not going to put any money into the truck, its "as is". After looking on Autotrader, I'm done at the 11K. For 2K more I can get into Gen 4 trucks with around 130K on them and 5K gets me into 80K trucks.

I have a set of tires and rims that were on my old Rams with only 15K miles. So I would just take the truck as is and do the little repairs it needs myself.

I don't plan on this deal working out as they feel they can get more at auction. I say good luck as they have tried it once already.

We'll see what happens. :popcorn:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, per KBB....mine does book out at more than I paid for it for private sale.

Trade in value is only 1250 less than I paid......

That just seems like a lot of $$ for so many so many miles.......last used dodge I bought was a 97 3500 cummins 4x4 and it had 135k on it back in 2005...I paid 13.5k for it, and it came with a 5k gooseneck deckover trailer that was only 1 yr old.