Looking at a 2017, have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of course they can be swapped.... talk to your salesman.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just custom order the truck the way you want so you get the alpine system & your little mirrors and 3.92 gears.

Shouldn't be an issue.

I would not sacrifice for such things....you're paying for it, get what YOU want.

Course it shouldn't be an issue to get them swapped either if the dealer actually knew what service meant.

You are buying, and they are making a sale...tell them if they want the sale do it, if not, walk.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the newer rams have to have the computer programmed to match the mirrors it has on the truck, otherwise the mirrors may act alittle crazy (mirrors adjustments may not be correct when folded up) groing from tows to regular mirrors im not sure since thats not a very common thing for most to do. on the 3rd gen and lower rams it was literally a bolt on swap.

and how they look is all in opinion, i think some rams look off with em and some rams they look right at home on, it all just depends on the vibe of the truck, on my show truck they look goofy folded up so that only happens when i wana troll someone lol, my red truck is the only one which they run up 24/7 thats because its a hauler and flipping my mirrors between tows to appease someone is dumb and why re-adjust your mirrors all the time honestly, but also i have 4th gen tow mirrors on my 3/4 ton so that i have clearance lights so people can watch out lol

yes & no.....the memory has to be programmed so the computer knows if it is flipped up or not and to put it back after tilting in reverse (if set up to do so)....that can be an issue with putting tows ON since you are adding features (the up stuff).............but taking tows off and putting normal mirrors on, that feature will never be used, so it should not be a problem.

Yes it was easier in the old days to do stuff like this

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea, for the most part. I dont want to battle with a dealer trying to figure out sales codes and messing with multiple trips to the dealer I buy from or to one that actually knows how to use Chryslers software to get the mirrors figured out. I think im just going to forget about the Alpine setup and get a truck that has the all the other options I want, including the regular mirrors and 3.92 gears.

You do not need any programming if you swap. Our shop truck which is a 17 did the exact same thing, no issues at all. You simply just unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new ones; no programming, no nothing. If youre going the opposite direction, then yes. You need programming for the Vehicle to detect that the mirrors at flipped up so it remaps the switch buttons for moving the glass.

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
You do not need any programming if you swap. Our shop truck which is a 17 did the exact same thing, no issues at all. You simply just unbolt the old ones and bolt on the new ones; no programming, no nothing. If youre going the opposite direction, then yes. You need programming for the Vehicle to detect that the mirrors at flipped up so it remaps the switch buttons for moving the glass.

Really? So I can swap those trailer mirrors for ones with puddle lamps and turn signals and all will function? I really dont care about the power fold, just the other stuff.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
yes & no.....the memory has to be programmed so the computer knows if it is flipped up or not and to put it back after tilting in reverse (if set up to do so)....that can be an issue with putting tows ON since you are adding features (the up stuff).............but taking tows off and putting normal mirrors on, that feature will never be used, so it should not be a problem.

Yes it was easier in the old days to do stuff like this

where is the no, i see pretty much a yes, you basically reworded what i just said?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
where is the no, i see pretty much a yes, you basically reworded what i just said?

You would, as that's what you want to see......................I did not reword, I explained the differences and why there is a yes & no

the newer rams have to have the computer programmed to match the mirrors it has on the truck, otherwise the mirrors may act alittle crazy (mirrors adjustments may not be correct when folded up) groing from tows to regular mirrors im not sure since thats not a very common thing for most to do. on the 3rd gen and lower rams it was literally a bolt on swap.

You had said programming was required for the mirrors to act right.

I said yes & no.

yes, programming for the memory part of the mirrors to work when installing tows on a truck that came with normal mirrors because you are adding features

no, to put normal mirrors on in place of tows, you are not adding any features, but some existing features in the programming will no longer be used.

kinda like using 1 wiring harness for all model trucks....just cuz the wiring is there for cruise control in the harness on a truck without cruise control, doesn't mean it is used, or that it will get any signal.......therefore it does no harm and stops no function...but it's still there.

Programming is needed when adding features so the computer knows what is there and when to activate it, but should not be required to remove features because since the part that uses that feature no longer exists, it will never be called for in any function.

Last edited:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
You would, as that's what you want to see......................I did not reword, I explained the differences and why there is a yes & no

I would? Thats what i want to see?

interesting that you seem to think you know me or can assume things about me :flipthebird:

You had said programming was required for the mirrors to act right.

I said yes & no.

yes, programming for the memory part of the mirrors to work when installing tows on a truck that came with normal mirrors because you are adding features

no, to put normal mirrors on in place of tows, you are not adding any features, but some existing features in the programming will no longer be used.

kinda like using 1 wiring harness for all model trucks....just cuz the wiring is there for cruise control in the harness on a truck without cruise control, doesn't mean it is used, or that it will get any signal.......therefore it does no harm and stops no function...but it's still there.

Programming is needed when adding features so the computer knows what is there and when to activate it, but should not be required to remove features because since the part that uses that feature no longer exists, it will never be called for in any function.

again as i said in my orig post, just worded differently, the truck is programmed for the mirrors that are on it, i didn't say it would mess up, i said things may act funny, as in maybe, i dont know the inner workings of these trucks computer software to know for sure what it will do in different situations, i do know that these trucks computers are extremely sensitive and will often give the owners some fight when it comes to changing parts out, all i said was "the newer rams have to have the computer programmed to match the mirrors it has on the truck, otherwise the mirrors may act alittle crazy" i never said it would cause any negative problems or that he would see symptoms of the mirror swap, so what i said was 100% factual

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would? Thats what i want to see?

interesting that you seem to think you know me or can assume things about me :flipthebird:

Well, did flipping me off make ya feel any more like a man ??

I don't have to know you or anything about you or assume anything about you......but your response above tells me all I need to know and that I don't care to know any more about you than I already do.

Have you ever edited anything in your life ?? If so, you would know, if you wrote it, you can't edit it and do a good job...because you KNOW what it is supposed to say, and if words are spelled wrong, or used wrong, or even missing, your brain still sees it as you want it to be, so things get missed.

Same case here....I said something that was similar to what you said, but went farther into the explanation than you did, and your brain sees it as the same, when in fact it is not.

That is what was meant by 'you would see it that way'.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, really didn't mean it that way.........but hey, go ahead, flip me off again.......it won't bother me at all..............

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
All things aside, my mirrors with just heat and power should go right on the OPs truck but putting the tow mirrors on my truck will require a flash to work properly. ?

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^ I would think as much as when I put my tow mirrors on a Ram that didn't have the added features. Now of those worked. He contacted the dealership and was told that he needed to bring his vin in and see if that could be activated.

F.O.F

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Well, did flipping me off make ya feel any more like a man ??

I don't have to know you or anything about you or assume anything about you......but your response above tells me all I need to know and that I don't care to know any more about you than I already do.

Have you ever edited anything in your life ?? If so, you would know, if you wrote it, you can't edit it and do a good job...because you KNOW what it is supposed to say, and if words are spelled wrong, or used wrong, or even missing, your brain still sees it as you want it to be, so things get missed.

Same case here....I said something that was similar to what you said, but went farther into the explanation than you did, and your brain sees it as the same, when in fact it is not.

That is what was meant by 'you would see it that way'.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, really didn't mean it that way.........but hey, go ahead, flip me off again.......it won't bother me at all..............

im sorry that a playful bird flipping smiley upset you, again you seem to assume something about me but over an internet smiley this time, and for the record, nope a smiley does nothing for manhood, but thanks for the laugh. There is some truth that people see what they want to see, but in this case that is not it.

you can assume things about me, i can assume things about you, in the end this is a pointless internet exchange by two people who will never meet each other and wouldn't even know it if they did, so instead of continuing this discussion about something absolutely pointless how about we just agree to disagree?

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my tow mirrors....they are great for everyday driving whether towing or not....it did take a while to get used to them, however.

Be careful if you swap mirrors....be absolutely sure new ones are specific for the newest Ram series. My son swapped his mirrors for some off of an older model. The fit fine, but the newer Rams have the the outside temperature sender in the driver's mirror and the older ones had it under the hood by the front grill.

He didn't realize that the sensor was missing and the truck went crazy....started shifting erratically, would not always start, check engine light came on, etc. He took it to the dealer and it cost him a $95 diagnostic fee when they told him to switch the mirrors back....then, all was well....ugh

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to troll with your mirrors, run with one up and one down lol

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I love my tow mirrors....they are great for everyday driving whether towing or not....it did take a while to get used to them, however.

Be careful if you swap mirrors....be absolutely sure new ones are specific for the newest Ram series. My son swapped his mirrors for some off of an older model. The fit fine, but the newer Rams have the the outside temperature sender in the driver's mirror and the older ones had it under the hood by the front grill.

He didn't realize that the sensor was missing and the truck went crazy....started shifting erratically, would not always start, check engine light came on, etc. He took it to the dealer and it cost him a $95 diagnostic fee when they told him to switch the mirrors back....then, all was well....ugh

I wondered what the heck that was

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's crazy that one missing piece can send a vehicle into cardiac arrest.