Looking at moving into a 1500 from a F-150.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saber123316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First and foremost im new. Second I have no brand loyalty. I base purchases off facts. And lastly I'm not a troll.

I'm currently looking at getting into a RAM 1500. Local dealers have 2016s on the lot discounted 30 percent. I would be able to get in one and owe less pay less in interest and have a lower payment.

My current truck is a 2015 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost 3.5
Test drove 2 1500s both expresses.

Firstly. I really like the seats. Great seats. The console is also nice. The truck feels solid and rides nice. However I have some qualms.

For those who have driven one they will know the Ecoboost has diesel like low end torque combined with the weight savings the truck is just faster. ( you can debate this all you want, stock I went 14.2 in the 1/4 with crappy 60 foot times.)

one ram had a 6 speed the other the 8 speed.
The six speed reg cab. 3.55 gearing felt slow. Like I stepped on it and nothing there. The 8 speed had 3.21s and felt more lively. The 6 speed was just... Awful. Its slow shifting very delayed down shifting and needs 3.92's.

The 8 speed is remarkable the dial is unique. But its shifts were smooth but firm it downshifted quickly. Even with the highway gearing it was quick and accelerated with confidence.

The hemi engine itself, the low end does not compare but it definitely has better top end.

Overall... I'm intrigued going to go look at a 1500 Silverado tomorrow and an SLT with the 8 speed and 3.92's

Reason for this post, what options and features would you recommend for a potential buyer and points of trouble?

Main reason for getting one is day to day do it all vehicle and the general utility of owning a pickup.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Must haves -
3:92 gears
8 speed tranny
5.7L hemi
10 k back of msrp all day long-
I get a discount with ford and after my discount the ecoboost I wanted was 44k before tax and license. I got my 6.4 2500 ram otd for 39k. For me it was purely a smart financial move. There is a big list of naturally aspirated ram 1500"s on this site that are in the 12"s if I'm not mistaken. I like chevy"s - I just personally think they want way to much $$ like ford does. Best of luck with ur decision.

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
depending on your budget, i would go for a higher trim than express, i'd explore Sport's used if they were over your budget at this point.

you get better seats (IMO), the 3.92 and 8 speed mentioned above (i would never order a ram that didn't have these), the 7" cluster and 8.4" screen are good to have.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I owned a 14 Sport with hemi, 8spd and 3.21s and now own a 17 Laramie with hemi, 8spd and 3.92s. If you're not going to tow heavy or add a lift and bigger tires the 3.21s with hemi and 8spd are just fine. I personally would get at least the Bighorn trim with 7" cluster and 8.4" radio touch screen. I would also get the 8spd and not the 6spd. If you do tow check out the towing section and see what people are towing with the 3.21s and 8spd. It does pretty good.

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
After owning an 8 speed with both 3.92s and 3.21s they are night and day. Any savings you may get on MPGs are completely negated by the seeming lack of power in the 3.21s. You will severely regret buying a six speed, the eight speed is superior in every single way except for the silly shifter knob, but the trade off is worth it.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
8 speed
3.92's

Sport or Big Horn - Great option packages for very little money.

Hemi

Another one, 3.92 is a my have IMO

Comfort packages are great to :favorites13:

barbosa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a bone stock 2WD ecoboost will not run a 14.2 1/4 mile even with a phenomenal 60' time, much less a 4WD. Hell, the Lightning barely ran faster than 14.2 bone stock. I am in no way debating those trucks are faster than a Ram, btw.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
welcome.. good luck with your choice

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run a Ford dealer, so if anyone has a bias it would be me.

The Ecoboost is an amazing motor, now with the new 10 speed its an animal. That being said I have a Hemi with 3.21's and 8 speed and wouldn't change over.

They both have advantages, the Ecoboost is torque and lots of it, he Hemi even though they say its different, loves to rev out. Pair it with the 8 speed and its a beautiful combination. I will disagree with the 3.92 gears. I still want them, but for towing capacity. On the highway Ive driven both and once you are over 40 miles per hour the transmission makes up 100% of the gearing difference. Debate it all you want, but get 2 guys with that only difference on the highway and you will see its true.

If I were able to afford a new truck today I would have a very hard time. It will come down to price and your preference. I would get the Ford for the Motor and interior ( 3.5 ecoboost with 10 speed) As the same time I would get the Ram with the Hemi and 8 Speed for style as from the outside, the Ram just looks like a truck to me. Again my personal opinion.

The Chevy I assume you put in there as a joke. Tired 5.3 and old 6 speed, and by far the worst interior fit and finish. Drive a 1 year old Chevy and just listen to all the pops, squeaks, and creaks.

You are in a hard spot my friend as they are both very good trucks. It depends on 2 things, what you like for style, and engine. I know the ecoboost is better on paper, but that Hemi is sweet music to my ears at any speed and time.

OP
OP
S

Saber123316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
a bone stock 2WD ecoboost will not run a 14.2 1/4 mile even with a phenomenal 60' time, much less a 4WD. Hell, the Lightning barely ran faster than 14.2 bone stock. I am in no way debating those trucks are faster than a Ram, btw.

I can post my timeslips. I made four passes that night. Ran three 14.2's and one 14.4 being heatsoaked with the intercooler seeing 160 degrees. Truck is 4x4 extended cab short box.

It's really not out of the norm for being that quick. Crew cabs tested in magazines get 14.4 14.5 and I am 300 pounds lighter give or take.

Back to the ram talk. Looking forward to test driving a 3.92 8speed truck today. Thanks for all your input thus far.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Your just going to haft to drive the Hemi, 8sp, 3:92s to see if it will make you happy, everyone is different in what they want out of a truck.
Mine has the 3:21s and will flat light the back tires up at will and even do it at 15/20 mph roll so I would think the 3:92s would be plenty peppy.
This 8sp makes a huge difference in how the truck preforms .

I went with the basic Express because I did not want all the other crap, just wanted the normal add ons.

My next step are new wheels and tires, 35s.

Attachments

• 20170709_152550.jpg
    20170709_152550.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 64

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Such a personal choice with trucks.......I think you will be disappointed with the 5.3 Chevy/GMC. I drove one first before choosing my Ram Sport. Just no oomph out of the 5.3. Drove an Eco Lariat 150 and that flat out flew, but so did the price tag. Favorite things: The uConnect 8.4 is fabulous and easy to use, Alpine stereo is nice for a factory setup, and the 3.92 gears with the 8 speed are a lot of fun and effortless to move at any speed. ParkSense front and rear is also extremely handy.......my other car is a MINI Cooper, so trucks are yachts in comparison. Good luck in the hunt.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Like others have stated:
-get 3.92's
-definitely the 8 speed
-Hemi
-Choose a trim level at Big Horn or above

I too came from an F150 3.5 ecoboost, and have never looked back. The 3.5 is a great running package, but fit and finish, ride quality and interior comfort are all better in the Ram. Good luck with your decision.

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm currently driving a Tahoe with the 5.3L engine and it's gutless. It feels amazingly under powered and I don't even tow. Saying that the acceleration is sluggish would be an understatement. Something to keep in mind for the Silverado. I've heard good things about the 6.2L in the Sierra's.

Last edited:

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Welcome to the forum.

Fyi,

On the 13-17 trucks you can retrofit several of the upgraded options from higher trims into lower model trucks if you can find a great deal on the truck and the parts later. It also helps if you are into that kind of thing, but it's still easier to just get it the way you want up front. There are several threads on the forum about it.

Possible upgrades:
7" EVIC cluster
Overhead module (w/compass & garage door opener)
8.4 radio (w/nav)
Backup camera (front, sides, & phone casting also possible, ie w/LockPick)
Remote start
Foglights
Heated/vented seats & wheel
Bench to center console swap
Projector Headlights/LED tails
Replace upper dash cubby w/2nd glove box
Add AutoDim rear view mirror

And it goes on...

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought my second ram, went from a 15 ecodiesel to a 15 hemi.

When shopping my MUST haves were.

8 speed
7" dash cluster
8.4 center screen
Power folding mirrors
Backup camera (tested quite a few that had the 8.4 and NO backup camera)

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my suggestion:
3.92/ 8 speed
Hemi
Sport package
and get the Pedal Commander look it up here in the forum :favorites13:

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the black express edition. 8 speed. Hemi and 3:21 as I do mostly highway and tow boats. It's a people carrier and daily driver. The fit and finish is decent on the lower end trims but I noticed my 2016 with basic cloth it was fraying and looked unsightly where I sat. Hence why I got seat covers for my 2017.

I can't compare to fords but I am happy with my Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The Ecoboosts in the older body style were not faster, despite what all the magazines claimed for times. Not knocking the engine, just saying. My father owned one.

However, with the weight reduction on the newer body style... yeah, they are faster, OP is right. And now with the 10-speed, they'll probably even be faster.

From a transmission standpoint, 10-speed Ford vs 8-speed Ram is a wash. From what I've seen of the 10-speed, they took a lot of design/tech (and even licensed some, I've heard) from ZF, who makes our Ram 8-speeds (at least, for the Hemi/EcoD). However, even ZF said once you get over 8 or 9 speeds, you are getting very little to nothing in terms of bang-for-your-buck. As long as Ford builds it nicely, quality wise, I'm sure the 10-speed will be quite nice. Our 8-speeds definitely are.

The GMC/Chevrolet can't compete with Ram's or Ford's interior, in my opinion. They have gotten better recently, but I still think their interiors are cheap looking compared to Ram/Ford.

They have an 8-speed available, but I have heard its not as nice as the ZF one in the Rams. They will supposedly share the 10-speed that Ford developed, as they developed (or are developing) a 9-speed for SUVs/cars that they will share with Ford. But, unless you get the big 6.2 engine, the 5.3 stands no chance against a Ford or Ram in the power, speed, or anything department. The only thing I've read that the 5.3 is better at than the Hemi is a little gas mileage.

I'd understand someone picking a newer Ford over a Ram. It comes down to personal choice, both look and drive like quality trucks 99% of the time. I like both, and I'm a die-hard Ram fan usually.

Good luck with the bow-tie or GMC test drive... you may laugh afterwards.

Last edited: