Looking at new Longhorn - air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Looking at new Longhorn - air suspension--GOT IT!

I'm looking at trading my 2012 Laramie in on a 2016 Longhorn with the current deals- obviously buying off the lot - the one that I located that is closest to what I'm looking for has the air suspension - I searched the forum and haven't found any horror stories, looking for opinions - ride better or worse than the regular setup? Any known issues?

Looking at some limited, but i cant get past the grill and giant RAM on the tail gate, although I'm guessing that could come off, and they all have the air ride too.

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, you could probably easily trade tailgates and grills for an older version with someone on this forum. I believe they are easily interchangeable for 2013+ trucks (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally, I wouldn't want the factory air ride. It's more OEM equipment that could break. That being said, if I found a truck I liked having the air ride wouldn't stop me from buying it...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am with SKB on that. More to break (for a guy like me that is really hard on things) but I have read nothing but praise for the air suspension and I have not read any real horror stories. If it's a truck you like I wouldn't hesitate.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I looked for and got my 2013 and 2014 Longhorns specifically without air suspension, because I didn't trust it in the winters up here in the Dakotas. However, I have heard more praise than horror stories on the multiple forums I'm on.

OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
thanks - up to the dealer and the numbers now...

Bfazona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I opted against the air suspension due to longevity as well. Any road treatment chemicals wreck the underside of vehicles and my brother has a Navigator with air suspension that echoes my statement.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Since the air suspension came out for the trucks 2013+, we haven't seen really any issues at all, and this is in Southern Alberta where it can get -40C in the winter. I'd say we've seen less than 5 leaks since they came out with it, and that includes the grand Cherokee. My 14 sport has it and my next truck will have it. I'd strongly recommend it if you're thinking about it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Souther AB? I want to know what dealership you work at so I can bring my truck there instead lol.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Haha! Well if you're ever in the Lethbridge area and need work gimme a shout I'll gladly help you out.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Forgive my ignorance, but could it disable you if it leaked down, or could you still drive it home / to a shop?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Forgive my ignorance, but could it disable you if it leaked down, or could you still drive it home / to a shop?

It will still drive with it leaked down but it's going to be a bumpy ride.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a 2017 CC, 6.5 bed with the air suspension. Couldn't be happier. Rides exceptionally well. Compared to the 2011 3500 SRW I traded, tremendous difference for the better in my view, though thats more of an apples to oranges comparison. Before I decided on the truck with the air suspension, did a thorough test drive of a regular suspension 1500. That truck rode nice, but the air suspension is nicer IMO.

tim

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm happy to trade you grilles, I'll pay for your shipping!

Love my air ride suspension. My daily driver and no complaints at all so far.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will still drive with it leaked down but it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I think it pretty much rides on the bump stops, and those will be shot after a few miles. It probably ok to drive slow to park in a safe place, but I wouldn't drive it dozens of miles.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I think it pretty much rides on the bump stops, and those will be shot after a few miles. It probably ok to drive slow to park in a safe place, but I wouldn't drive it dozens of miles.

My concern would be longevity over 6/7/8 years. I'm simply not familiar with these systems, but I guess big rigs have been using them for years, eh?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The RAM on the tailgate can't come off. It has tabs in the back that fit into holes in the tailgate. I was skeptical at first, but it grew on me when I picked mine up! I love it now.

As for the air suspension. I absolutely love it! I'm picky about squat, I hate it. Now I never have to worry about that! The truck always sits the same no matter what I'm pulling. The truck rides smoother than the coil suspension too. I also like that I can raise it up to go off road if needed.

Plus it's only $50 in parts to level it. Cheaper if you're in the US..

I'm not sure on the exact weight, but I'm guessing it was around 6000 lbs. I'm guessing around 800 lbs hitch weight. It was very heavy on the tongue! Look at the way the truck is sitting though.

e89e5522ff014b49809347e532c626c6.jpg

My dad hooked up to our equipment trailer and tractor. Over 1000 lbs tongue weight. It's hard to see, but he's sitting level as well.

773468ff644cabcd368b034ffb5a7c3c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

camdlstire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dad had a 2014 Limited with the air ride and it rode great. I don't about doing any lifting or such on those since the air ride so it might just be a stock ride. However, the automatic ride height adjuster does help with gas mileage. He went to Dallas from Kansas City and was driving 85 mph the whole way and got 24 mpg!

InTheBush

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the new grill on my 2016 Limited after owning my 04 for 12 years with the cross hairs.
IMO it looks much better. The tailgate is a overkill but got used to it quickly.
The air ride is great! just don't like the auto lower to OR1 from OR2.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a little over 45k on my air suspension with no problems! I almost never use the off road modes, but entry/exit is really helpful with people that have trouble getting in and the aero mode makes a small difference on the highway.

OP
OP
rblochli

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Thanks everyone - dealer is killing me though, might not get the deal done...