Looking for owner with high millage with ecodiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will probabaly get a new job where I need to use my personal truck.

I have actually have a 2014 truck with a hemi and 6 speed.

I know hemi are good to get high millage without any problems.

Since the eco are pretty new I'm looking for owner who are putting high millage on those truck especially in winter conditons.

Did you had any trouble with them ?

I will drive around 30-35k miles per year for the next 3 years.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Since the eco are pretty new I'm looking for owner who are putting high millage on those truck especially in winter conditons.

I don't have an eco, but I think you're reading to much into a stigma. Modern engines really don't have a shelf life, gas or otherwise. Diesel engines usually last so long, because of the investment, people love to take care of them. Also, gas engines rarely get to see the end of there life, as other components fail, and the average person will merely take it in to be traded, or sell it outright. Both engines are capable of 500k+ miles, in fact, I'm willing to bet there are some Hemi owners in here with close to that, if not more. Diesel won't last any longer than a gasser, if you take care of them both, they will both last you equally as long.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have an eco, but I think you're reading to much into a stigma. Modern engines really don't have a shelf life, gas or otherwise. Diesel engines usually last so long, because of the investment, people love to take care of them. Also, gas engines rarely get to see the end of there life, as other components fail, and the average person will merely take it in to be traded, or sell it outright. Both engines are capable of 500k+ miles, in fact, I'm willing to bet there are some Hemi owners in here with close to that, if not more. Diesel won't last any longer than a gasser, if you take care of them both, they will both last you equally as long.

BS, do you think before typing? here is why they last so long

diesels are constructed heavier than gasoline engines because they produce higher torque (Heavier crankshaft) and operate at a higher compression ratio. (Stronger cylinders/heads, etc.)

There are other reasons diesels last longer. They develop their maximum power at a slower speed than gasoline engines. The faster an engine rotates, the greater the wear.

Gasoline is a solvent. diesel fuel has superior lubricating properties. As a result, diesel engines tend to last twice as long as gas-powered ones.

If you don't own a Eco diesel, don't post in the tread, nothing you said helps him find his answer.

To the OP, your better off on this forum here
RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum

It's strictly for Eco Rams. Or maybe some here WITH an Eco can chime in.
Good luck

Luke

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just do your own research your better off that way. asking here will result in alot negative/positive answers. I am aware of soon to be 3 people who have dumped there eco diesels purely because they run bussiness's that require pulling trailers and the hemi with the right gear ratio will beat the eco in this situation anyday. You need to buy what suits you best.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might need to research before typing also. The difference in torque numbers between the EcoDiesel and the Hemi is 10 lb ft or torque.

Hardly enough to warrant a much beefier engine.

Reaserch what. I didn't state any numbers nor am I comparing eco to hemi anywhere. All I stated is why diesels last longer.

Luke

Last edited:
OP
OP
danmp

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I will not tow too much( 5-10 short trip with a 5000lb travel trailer). It will be mainly used for long drive ( mostly highway or rural road ) I will do alot of idle.

Actually my hemi is giving me 12mpg on city drive and 15-16 mpg on highway ( on winter fuel and conditions )

I'm on reflexion about buying a small suv and keep my hemi, or simply trade it for a eco. I need a 4x4 because I need do some light offroading ,and a car can't make it.

Here the diesel is the same price of the regular gas ( or not too far )

Also the hemi plate price is the double than the 3.9L engine or less vehicule.

The benefit of the eco diesel is really there for my needs, but I don't want a less reliable engine than the hemi. The hemi is trouble free, the mpg is too low for the millage I will do.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the epa is investigating the ecodiesel. who knows what changes are going to be required. i don't believe there any on the lots or being released at the moment. i would think the pentastar engine would give you what you are looking for.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You might need to research before typing also. The difference in torque numbers between the EcoDiesel and the Hemi is 10 lb ft or torque.

You may want to do your research also if you think that output torque is how the lower end of and engine designed. Diesel and gas engine lower ends are two entirely different animals.
Something else to consider, the EcoDiesel develops that torque at about half of the rpms of the Hemi (2K vs 4.3K ), about the rpm the EcoDiesel redlines. Should I mention it only has 6 cylinders vs 8?

The OP question was about longevity, there are many EcoDiesel that are pushing the +40K miles a year barrier with a surprising number over the 100K and 200K mark all while towing/hauling daily.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BS, do you think before typing? here is why they last so long

diesels are constructed heavier than gasoline engines because they produce higher torque (Heavier crankshaft) and operate at a higher compression ratio. (Stronger cylinders/heads, etc.)

There are other reasons diesels last longer. They develop their maximum power at a slower speed than gasoline engines. The faster an engine rotates, the greater the wear.

Gasoline is a solvent. diesel fuel has superior lubricating properties. As a result, diesel engines tend to last twice as long as gas-powered ones.

If you don't own a Eco diesel, don't post in the tread, nothing you said helps him find his answer.

To the OP, your better off on this forum here
RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum

It's strictly for Eco Rams. Or maybe some here WITH an Eco can chime in.
Good luck

Luke

lol.... bro, the diesel is built stronger for the power it creates... so if you have a diesel with 900 pounds of torque.. it's built to withstand that, they aren't magically built any stronger for what they require. The 2.0 Ecotec is built equally as durable as as 6.7 cummins, the engines don't just drop down in quality because it's not a diesel. Disels last so long because people hold on to them. I won't get into semantics with you, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I'm merely pointing out him wanting to move to an eco isn't going to guarantee a " longer life " , their are diesels much much less powerful than the hemi, power really has -nothing- to do with it. I'm sorry you're so ill informed.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Keep in mind the Eco is a v6 and only a 3.0L so it is almost half the size of the hemi. Even though it is only slightly more powerful it is from a smaller engine so the stresses are higher and with the high compression ratios diesels have they do have beefier internals. If you tried to run the hemi at the same compression ratios diesels do it would blow up pretty quickly.

All that being said either engine will run for far longer than the body and other components will hold up for.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
You couldn't give me a 3.0 diesel over the 5.7Hemi for free.
People are buying them for the miles per gallon that they think they are going to get verses the 5.7.
It sure can't be the towing that it has over the 5.7.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7

Like someone posted, go to the 1500 diesel forum. That's 99% of what is talked about there. I myself like you put many miles on. I was going to get an ECO diesel soon after they came out for sale. Problem at first was getting one. I've been a member of the other forum for a couple of years now.
As time passed many issues came up. SCR, fuel exhaust smell in the cabin, oil cooler leaking into the coolant, DPF, DEF, service throttle light, etc. Some of these issues will put you in "limp mode". Many times dealers didn't even know what to do.
Parts became a problem as well. In the past, members would have their truck at the dealership waiting for parts. A few members actually had their truck at the dealership for a couple of months. Some got loaner vehicles, some didn't.
Albeit a small # of engines, I think somewhere up towards 100, have had catastrophic engine failures. Seems there were a few with valve train failure, but the main bearings are one of the more common ways of total failure. Not much warning either. Oil specs have actually been changed from FCA.
Can't deny the mileage though, around 25 mpg I'd say is pretty average.
I've purchased ( on my 2nd ) Ram 1500 Hemis. Here in PA, diesel is usually priced at or near high test gas. Decided to stay away from the ECO.
Right at this time, FCA has not been able to sell any new 2017 ECO diesels due to EPA finding 8 computer parameters that were not disclosed. Plus FCA may have to recall and re-flash all the previously sold units. That hasn't been settled as of today that I know of.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol.... bro, the diesel is built stronger for the power it creates... so if you have a diesel with 900 pounds of torque.. it's built to withstand that, they aren't magically built any stronger for what they require. The 2.0 Ecotec is built equally as durable as as 6.7 cummins, the engines don't just drop down in quality because it's not a diesel. Disels last so long because people hold on to them. I won't get into semantics with you, I wasn't trying to start an argument, I'm merely pointing out him wanting to move to an eco isn't going to guarantee a " longer life " , their are diesels much much less powerful than the hemi, power really has -nothing- to do with it. I'm sorry you're so ill informed.

Bro, don't sweat it bro. I was just commenting on the fact that you, bro, said diesels last longer "cause people like to take care of them". Bro, read your post again.
Along with the above.
What am I ill informed on?

Luke

Last edited:

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

:crazy:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bro, don't sweat it bro. I was just commenting on the fact that you, bro, said diesels last longer "cause people like to take care of them". Bro, read your post again.
Along with the above.
What am I ill informed on?

Luke

Wel bro, you went on about how they have so much more power and are built better. You mentioned I should think before I write bro, and as usual, you were wrong bro. But this bro isn't going to argue bro, just make sure you think before you comment bro, you're ignorance is showing, bro. I, like a good bro, pointed out the myth about how a diesel lasts longer and it doesn't it's just that people hold on to there trucks longer with diesels due to the ability of a higher resale, that's why it appears they last longer bro. You were wrong bro, don't sweat it though bro, sometimes people are just wrong bro.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You couldn't give me a 3.0 diesel over the 5.7Hemi for free.
People are buying them for the miles per gallon that they think they are going to get verses the 5.7.
It sure can't be the towing that it has over the 5.7.
My Ecodiesel saves me around $1300 per year in fuel vs a Hemi. "Miles per gallon they think they're going to get" dude, we are getting the mileage we expected. These engines are extremely efficient.

Oh and I hate to break it to you..but coming from a tuned 14 Hemi, there isn't much of a towing advantage with the gas. The diesel is right along beside it. I've towed extensively with both engines.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo