Looking for owner with high millage with ecodiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
The diesel is right along beside it. I've towed extensively with both engines.
LOLOLOLOL, then your hemi was junk thenLOLOLOL
but coming from a tuned 14 Hemi, there isn't much of a towing advantage with the gas.
Really, this is very funny as hellLOLOLOL

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My Ecodiesel saves me around $1300 per year in fuel vs a Hemi. "Miles per gallon they think they're going to get" dude, we are getting the mileage we expected. These engines are extremely efficient.

Oh and I hate to break it to you..but coming from a tuned 14 Hemi, there isn't much of a towing advantage with the gas. The diesel is right along beside it. I've towed extensively with both engines.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

on tow charts i've seen, the advantage goes to the hemi. for what the op says he will tow, this is a non issue.

you may have saved 1300.00 but you paid a premium for the diesel. i would assume the op understands this and try do his own math on whether or when he will hit a break even number.
you also have to factor in the DEF fluid when considering fuel mileage.

maintenance is more expensive as are engine repairs.

couldn't find one on the lots near me to even test drive. i do like diesels.
no one knows the outcome of the EPA investigation. a new tune might kill mpg and HP. might have to buy back like VW, i doubt owners will be happy with pay out. maybe nothing will happen, not likely though.

again for the OP, a V6 star engine will do everything described and do it well.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
LOLOLOLOL, then your hemi was junk thenLOLOLOL

Really, this is very funny as hellLOLOLOL
You must not have a very high IQ. I won't bother engaging with you, it will clearly get me nowhere.

You know absolutely nothing about the Ecodiesel. Just another "hater" who's never driven one, casting judgement on something they know nothing about.

For everyone else:

What I said holds true. I had both, I've towed a fair bit with both. I loved my 2014 1500 Longhorn Hemi (3.92 gears too..) And I love my Ecodiesel. There is nothing wrong with either engine. The Ecodiesel may not be as fast, but as most of you know torque gets trailers moving, and they've got nearly identical torque numbers.

on tow charts i've seen, the advantage goes to the hemi. for what the op says he will tow, this is a non issue.

you may have saved 1300.00 but you paid a premium for the diesel. i would assume the op understands this and try do his own math on whether or when he will hit a break even number.
you also have to factor in the DEF fluid when considering fuel mileage.

maintenance is more expensive as are engine repairs.

couldn't find one on the lots near me to even test drive. i do like diesels.
no one knows the outcome of the EPA investigation. a new tune might kill mpg and HP. might have to buy back like VW, i doubt owners will be happy with pay out. maybe nothing will happen, not likely though.

again for the OP, a V6 star engine will do everything described and do it well.

Yes, I did pay a premium for the diesel, but remember diesels have a higher resale value. The $1300 was based off 1 year of driving for me. That will multiply year after year. 3 years and it has paid for itself.

Oil changes are $20 more than my Hemi, but I change the oil 5000 KMS later with this than the Hemi (15,000 kms vs 10,000). DEF is miniscule. $20 every 12,000- 15,000 kms depending on how much towing/city driving you do. If someone is too cheap to pay $150 over the life of a vehicle, than they shouldn't be buying new anyway.

I'm not concerned with engine repairs as I buy new every 4 years or so. I generally always have warranty to rely on.

deerhunt799

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Going up the Ike Gauntlet towing more weight, the Hemi did it quicker than the diesel. Diesel got better mpgs doing it. That being said, I'm not racing while towing so I probably wouldn't notice the extra minute or so it takes to get to the top.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You must not have a very high IQ. I won't bother engaging with you, it will clearly get me nowhere.

You know absolutely nothing about the Ecodiesel. Just another "hater" who's never driven one, casting judgement on something they know nothing about.

For everyone else:

What I said holds true. I had both, I've towed a fair bit with both. I loved my 2014 1500 Longhorn Hemi (3.92 gears too..) And I love my Ecodiesel. There is nothing wrong with either engine. The Ecodiesel may not be as fast, but as most of you know torque gets trailers moving, and they've got nearly identical torque numbers.

i
Yes, I did pay a premium for the diesel, but remember diesels have a higher resale value. The $1300 was based off 1 year of driving for me. That will multiply year after year. 3 years and it has paid for itself.

Oil changes are $20 more than my Hemi, but I change the oil 5000 KMS later with this than the Hemi (15,000 kms vs 10,000). DEF is miniscule. $20 every 12,000- 15,000 kms depending on how much towing/city driving you do. If someone is too cheap to pay $150 over the life of a vehicle, than they shouldn't be buying new anyway.

I'm not concerned with engine repairs as I buy new every 4 years or so. I generally always have warranty to rely on.

good post for the OP to consider. i would still be concerned over the EPA thing.
in your case, the only thing i would ask, would you get another in 4 years?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
good post for the OP to consider. i would still be concerned over the EPA thing.
in your case, the only thing i would ask, would you get another in 4 years?
That I'm not sure on that. Between the Ecodiesel and Hemi, I'd definitely go Ecodiesel again. My hold back is if I'll be in another Ram. The sad fact is that for the price, Ford has a much better equipped truck. The 2 things that kept me in a RAM for my 2016 were the air suspension, and Ecodiesel. If Ram doesn't start innovating my next truck might not be a Ram.

ironhead3fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, 1 guy that actually has an Ecodiesel answered the OP. Amazing.....

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Since the eco are pretty new I'm looking for owner who are putting high millage on those truck especially in winter conditons.

Did you had any trouble with them ?

I don't know that I'll be much help to you as I just purchased my truck right before Christmas. I've put just over 7,700 miles on it so far. I own the truck, my company pays me a vehicle allowance and mileage - below is my first full month impression of the truck that I posted on the Ram1500 Diesel forum and comparison to the 2014 F-150 5.0 that I traded for this one.

I average around 1,100 miles/week - 50-55k miles/year.

brianw0048 said:
I purchased my ecodiesel based on the fact that my company was changing their vehicle program. Starting in November 2016 it has gone to a fixed rate/mileage system. They pay us a fixed rate and a small mileage reimbursement. Mileage was my main concern; and mechanical failure was secondary - my '14 F-150 had 154,000 miles.

Results for the month of January:

Fuel used: 206 gallons
Fuel cost: $528.87
Tank MPG: 21.8 (calculated per tank, this is the overall average per tank. I saw per tank MPG from 19.2 to 23.8)
Reimbursable mileage: 4,105
Reimbursement: $788.57

"Profit" $259.70

in comparison - my "profit" for December was $142.17 and November was comparable. My 5.0 F-150 was getting 14-16mpg per tank. 21mpg is quite a jump. I'm ready for summer blend fuel!

At the moment, I am quite pleased!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The others are in the dealership getting them fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
22,000 kms on mine. 0 issues.

27,000 kms on my dad's. Needs the window seals replaced. Ram issue, not Ecodiesel issue.

55,000 kms on my uncles. 0 issues.

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
22,000 kms on mine. 0 issues.

27,000 kms on my dad's. Needs the window seals replaced. Ram issue, not Ecodiesel issue.

55,000 kms on my uncles. 0 issues.

I'm was being jocular.

But since you mention It I have a hemi so I'm currently at 0

..........***** given

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'm was being jocular.

But since you mention It I have a hemi so I'm currently at 0

..........***** given

Lmao

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know that I'll be much help to you as I just purchased my truck right before Christmas. I've put just over 7,700 miles on it so far. I own the truck, my company pays me a vehicle allowance and mileage - below is my first full month impression of the truck that I posted on the Ram1500 Diesel forum and comparison to the 2014 F-150 5.0 that I traded for this one.

I average around 1,100 miles/week - 50-55k miles/year.

I am hoping you get a heck of a lot more reimbursement than $788 for 4105 miles?

Should be around $2200. The IRS rate is .535 per mile.

Not sure what else your employer pays for your truck but you will need all of $2,200 to pay insurance, depreciation, maint/ repairs, fuel, etc. for a decent truck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Here's what I know. I purchased my Eco last September. Since then I have put almost 6,000 miles on it. Running up and down the hill to work I average between 20 and 22 mpg. It has plenty of power and is a nice driver

I had my HEMI Ram for a long time. It also had plenty of power and was a nice driver. It got 11 mpg. Up hill, down hill, empty, loaded..... 11 mpg

My first HEMI Ram was a standard cab truck. In the same area driving I got 15.9 mpg

It's all up to you what you buy OP. Go drive several trucks in different packages. Buy the one you can best afford

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
did you have oversized tires on your hemi ?
I get 14/15 mpg in town driving.

scottysize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Decided to chime in without reading all 5 pages. Especially since the first two responses took swings at each other.

I have an EcoDiesel. I bought it for the MPG savings because I drive 104 miles round trip 5 days a week. A Diesel will last you a longer time, if you take care of it. That's the problem. To take care of it, the maintenance will cost you more than a gasser. To give you an example, the fuel filter must be changed every 20 to 30k miles and costs just over $100 for the dealer to change. Oil changes must be accomplished every 10k and cost close to $160 without any discounts. However I buy 4 at a time for $400. So, am I saving more in gas? Sure. I get 25 MPG. However, am I saving any money? Nope. With the additional maintenance costs and the additional cost of the motor, the ED is more expensive in the short and long runs. So why get one? Well, the fact that I can drive a week on a single tank is one thing. I hate having to fill up every 3 days and that is how my Titan was. Every 3 days I better go stop at a gas station, otherwise I'm costing to one during the start of the 4th. Also, while the maintenance costs more, the diesel can last longer as long as you care for it and don't stomp on it when it's cold. Am I happy I bought the ED? Yes I am. However, you need to make your own decision. This isn't something anyone can tell you which way to go. Drive both and see which one you like better.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Decided to chime in without reading all 5 pages. Especially since the first two responses took swings at each other.

I have an EcoDiesel. I bought it for the MPG savings because I drive 104 miles round trip 5 days a week. A Diesel will last you a longer time, if you take care of it. That's the problem. To take care of it, the maintenance will cost you more than a gasser. To give you an example, the fuel filter must be changed every 20 to 30k miles and costs just over $100 for the dealer to change. Oil changes must be accomplished every 10k and cost close to $160 without any discounts. However I buy 4 at a time for $400. So, am I saving more in gas? Sure. I get 25 MPG. However, am I saving any money? Nope. With the additional maintenance costs and the additional cost of the motor, the ED is more expensive in the short and long runs. So why get one? Well, the fact that I can drive a week on a single tank is one thing. I hate having to fill up every 3 days and that is how my Titan was. Every 3 days I better go stop at a gas station, otherwise I'm costing to one during the start of the 4th. Also, while the maintenance costs more, the diesel can last longer as long as you care for it and don't stomp on it when it's cold. Am I happy I bought the ED? Yes I am. However, you need to make your own decision. This isn't something anyone can tell you which way to go. Drive both and see which one you like better.
You'd definitely be saving money! The diesel Costs more, but have a higher resale value as well! You're getting hosed on oil changes man! Mine was about $120 and I'm in Canada! The new Rotella T6 is much more affordable vs the old oil spec.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452