Looking to swap to RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhedden94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for quite sometime. From what I can tell, everyone loves their RAM trucks and I can't find hardly any complaints on them, at least compared to my current truck. So I am looking for some advice. I currently own a 2016 GMC Canyon that has been nothing but headaches since I bought it and I am starting to realize I should have went with a full size truck to begin with. So I was looking at what truck I might like, so I went and test drove a 2017 RAM Big Horn with the Hemi 5.7 and the 8 speed transmission and man was I impressed! It made my truck look like a Chevy Cavalier. However, it was to far out of my price range. So I started looking at the used market and found a 2014 RAM Sport with the Hemi 5.7 and the 8 speed that I am planning on going to test drive tomorrow. It's all black and semi loaded in terms of features. It has 48,000 miles on it which is a little more than what my truck has now but the upgrades make it worth the extra miles. The dealer is asking $29k and I am thinking about pitching them around $25k. So I wanted to see, how does everyone feel about the 2014 model? From what I have read online, I noticed it seemed to have the most issues and I wanted to know what things I should look for when I go to test drive the RAM. Any general information or nods in the right direction is appreciated!

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Quick question for the 2017, have you looked around your area for 2016 left overs? People are literally stealing 2016s off the lots as dealers incentives are really high.

As far as 2014 goes, I have a 2014 2500 and haven't had any issues. You're picking the right package, hemi with the 8 speed for sure. Do you know what gears it has?

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 2014 has been great, but I have the Pentastar, not the Hemi. If you don't plan on towing alot, check out the v6. Also, my truck is a crew crab Tradesman, and I only paid 27K for it brand new. Look around, and you can probably find some newer trucks for cheaper if you don't mind not having leather and all that fancy stuff.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cannot speak for used trucks, but I highly recommend RAM. I just bought my my first truck ever almost three months ago and I love it. I have a 17' 1500 Sport.

Also, if you are interested in factory warranties (especially the lifetime), Clay Robbins will be your man for the cheapest warranties around.

Here is his contact info:
[email protected] and you can reach him at 888-421-1388.

FYI: I do not get any commission for recommending him. He was recommended to me when I first purchased my first truck. I am passing his info along to help others who are new as well.

Edit: I just remembered. Check with Clay on used and new trucks as well. I remember him mentioning that he has sold to several folks on this forum. Him and his father own several RAM dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my 17 for $28k with 25 miles on it. Not as loaded as a sport, but had the tow package, 5.7, 5.0 U connect, the painted bumpers appearance package that added a bunch of stuff. I debated between it and a Laramie that was also a 17 for 34k, but it had the v6. And I decided a Hemi and 6k less was greater than the amazing interior.

Absolutely love the truck. Had two small issues so far. A rear shock blew at 700 miles and was leaking oil. Ram replaced. And my passenger seat belt chime works intermittently. Have been to lazy to take it in for it though.

Last edited:

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 SLT with 76k on it and have had no issues to date, purchased used from a private party. It had a 6" lift put on it at about 45k and still no issues. However, my 2007 had a slew of issues by 75k mile and it was purchased from the dealership. It seems it can be luck of the draw with these trucks..pitching 25k is a good idea, I wouldn't pay 29k.. You can get a better deal from a private party in most cases with some research and patience!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2014 was a great truck.

If you are going with the 5.7L with the 8-speed, check to see if the truck has the 3.92 gears. You'll be glad you got them. Have a dealer run the VIN for the equipment list.

OP
OP
mhedden94

mhedden94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick question for the 2017, have you looked around your area for 2016 left overs? People are literally stealing 2016s off the lots as dealers incentives are really high.

As far as 2014 goes, I have a 2014 2500 and haven't had any issues. You're picking the right package, hemi with the 8 speed for sure. Do you know what gears it has?

I did find a couple of 2016's near me that were around the same price, although not as nice and loaded as the sport. The dealers around me in Tennessee are expensive, that's why I am looking nearby in Georgia lol

That is one thing I left out in the post, I pulled up the build sheet and it has the 3.21 running gears instead of the 3.92. I've noticed it seems to go both ways in terms of which ones better.

Here is the build sheet on the truck I found: https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6RR6MT2ES180508

And for reference for the post, here is the truck I am going to test drive tomorrow: Used 2014 Ram 1500 Sport for Sale in Stone Mountain, Atlanta, GA

Does anyone think $25k is reasonable for the truck or will the dealer laugh lol? Should I pitch a lower price?

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did find a couple of 2016's near me that were around the same price, although not as nice and loaded as the sport. The dealers around me in Tennessee are expensive, that's why I am looking nearby in Georgia lol

That is one thing I left out in the post, I pulled up the build sheet and it has the 3.21 running gears instead of the 3.92. I've noticed it seems to go both ways in terms of which ones better.

Here is the build sheet on the truck I found: https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6RR6MT2ES180508

And for reference for the post, here is the truck I am going to test drive tomorrow: Used 2014 Ram 1500 Sport for Sale in Stone Mountain, Atlanta, GA

Does anyone think $25k is reasonable for the truck or will the dealer laugh lol? Should I pitch a lower price?

I have the 3.21's on mine. Its easily the quickest, and strongest truck I've had. Can break the tires loose easily. I mean yeah I'd prefer the 3.92 but the 3.21 with 8 speed is quick and tows my boat perfectly fine.

I'm coming from a 2006 5.3 Silverado with 4.56 gears, custom tuned, intake, exhaust, headers, and my Ram would smoke that truck. Although the Silverado had 6 inch lift, 20's, and 35's.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought my 2015 SLT QC V6 from Ed Voyles Dodge in Marietta, GA. It was certified pre owned with 45,000 miles. Paid 24,000 including 3,500 in negative equity added to the loan. They're pushy but they had the best deals on used RAMs at the time in GA.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The upside of the 14 is you will have the remainder of the 5 year 100000 mile drivetrain warranty. Unless you need to tow 10000 pounds, I wouldn't let the 3:21 gear ratio be a deal breaker.

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have a '14 but '13. What I can say is these trucks are great. I live in the south and one thing I like to observe is what older trucks are on the road and what condition. The Ram and Fords are mostly what I see around here. Now the Rams are everything from the '94 redesign and up and most of them are in really good shape unless beat on. The only older Fords I see are mid '90's and back. The Early 2000 models are few and far between and seem to look like they are slowly deteriorating. The GM products are the late 80's/ early 90's models which were highly popular and, i'll admit, well built.

Based on all of this, since I see a greater range of models years with the Ram, I have to say it seems like a better long term truck. Whether you want to keep it for quite a while, or just trade in a few years, it tells you they hold up and have less problems.

I will admit I am biased to the Ram trucks as I think they look far better (except wish it had HID headlights from the factory).

OP
OP
mhedden94

mhedden94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well great news! I managed to find a much better truck than what I originally went for. I found a 2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 with only 8k miles, it's in great shape, comes with the remaining bumper to bumper warranty plus its certified and comes with a 7 year, 100k mile power train warranty. This thing is practically brand new and originally listed at $44k. I managed to get it for a steal at $28k. It comes mostly loaded minus leather and the full floor console. However, it has the large screen dash, 8.4 uconnect, hemi engine with the 8spd, dual exhaust, well just about everything I could want in a truck. I am picking it up tomorrow and will post pics soon! Looking forward to joining the RAM family!

Here is the listing (it may be taken down soon): Certified Used 2017 Ram 1500 For Sale in Marietta GA | 1C6RR7GT3HS544571

Worst case, here is the build sheet on it: https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6RR7GT3HS544571

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well great news! I managed to find a much better truck than what I originally went for. I found a 2017 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 with only 8k miles, it's in great shape, comes with the remaining bumper to bumper warranty plus its certified and comes with a 7 year, 100k mile power train warranty. This thing is practically brand new and originally listed at $44k. I managed to get it for a steal at $28k. It comes mostly loaded minus leather and the full floor console. However, it has the large screen dash, 8.4 uconnect, hemi engine with the 8spd, dual exhaust, well just about everything I could want in a truck. I am picking it up tomorrow and will post pics soon! Looking forward to joining the RAM family!

Here is the listing (it may be taken down soon): Certified Used 2017 Ram 1500 For Sale in Marietta GA | 1C6RR7GT3HS544571

Worst case, here is the build sheet on it: https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6RR7GT3HS544571

Congrats! This is great news. The truck looks nice. I cannot wait to see your pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the '17 ! Looked at the build sheet and it has a lot of goodies. Many here prefer the 60/40 front seat by the way, as the floor console takes up a lot of room and limits it to 2 passengers. If you want leather or wet Okole covers ( https://www.wetokole.com/) you can always do that later. Good find! PS: I live in Tennessee too and I've purchased my last 4 cars in Georgia, Kentucky and 2 Mini Coopers from Virginia.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn