Looks like I won't be modding my truck much.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a 5 year extended warranty when I got my truck a couple weeks ago. I knew from the start I would be very limited on mods because how they can "negatively" effect the truck such as a lift wearing out the suspension. I just called a representative to ask if installing an exhaust or a muffler would void anything and he gave me the green light on that thankfully and said that's fine. I asked him about replacing the tires with bigger ones and he said yes that can void a warranty. Technically your only allowed to put on tires "one size" over the recommended. He thought a 275 tire one size up is actually 285? Is that accurate?

Sort of bummed out about not being able to put bigger tires on it. Thank god my truck came with factory 20s so I wouldn't get flagged for buying bigger rims. On the flip side my truck will be covered if something goes wrong with it.

I plan on putting on a series 10 flomaster muffler. Not really wanting to change out the exhaust entirely atm. Anyone have this muffler? Also anyone know the inlet and outlet size for a 2014 1500?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Easy, get larger tires, keep your current tires. If you need to bring it in for service, switch the tires prior.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easy, get larger tires, keep your current tires. If you need to bring it in for service, switch the tires prior.

Yeah I hear what your saying but then I picture myself broke down on the side of the road thinking do I want to have it towed to my house, replace the tires, then the next day have it towed to the shop or towed right to the shop.

RamThunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a 5 year extended warranty when I got my truck a couple weeks ago. I knew from the start I would be very limited on mods because how they can "negatively" effect the truck such as a lift wearing out the suspension. I just called a representative to ask if installing an exhaust or a muffler would void anything and he gave me the green light on that thankfully and said that's fine. I asked him about replacing the tires with bigger ones and he said yes that can void a warranty. Technically your only allowed to put on tires "one size" over the recommended. He thought a 275 tire one size up is actually 285? Is that accurate?

Sort of bummed out about not being able to put bigger tires on it. Thank god my truck came with factory 20s so I wouldn't get flagged for buying bigger rims. On the flip side my truck will be covered if something goes wrong with it.

I plan on putting on a series 10 flomaster muffler. Not really wanting to change out the exhaust entirely atm. Anyone have this muffler? Also anyone know the inlet and outlet size for a 2014 1500?
Bolt on stuff, and if it breaks your truck take it off and then go in

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I hear what your saying but then I picture myself broke down on the side of the road thinking do I want to have it towed to my house, replace the tires, then the next day have it towed to the shop or towed right to the shop.

You may never break down on the side of the road... But if you get bigger tires, you WILL enjoy them.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Very interesting. I purchased my truck 2 months ago, and my dealer told me lifting and putting bigger tires on does not void he warranty. Our dealership does the lifts, bigger tires,and also send out the trucks to our local truck accessories shop for lifts and bigger tires. I would recommend contact RAM warranty customer service is phone.

I contacted them right after I purchased my truck and asked about exhaust and leveling. They told me it would not void my warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Very interesting. I purchased my truck 2 months ago, and my dealer told me lifting and putting bigger tires on does not void he warranty. Our dealership does the lifts, bigger tires,and also send out the trucks to our local truck accessories shop for lifts and bigger tires. I would recommend contact RAM warranty customer service is phone.

I contacted them right after I purchased my truck and asked about exhaust and leveling. They told me it would not void my warranty.

just add hundreds to the cost of what would be a few bucks on your own.. lol

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifting will void your warranty, but a level should not and neither should bigger tires. That seems weird. I would check with another dealer service department for a second opinion.

Regardless, if you ever have plans to mod a vehicle in the future just save yourself the trouble and don't buy an extended warranty. Part of what comes with modding is the increased risk of issues with the truck. You are changing parts and doing things it was not designed for. Makes sense a warranty would be voided because of that. Personally I just never buy an extended warranty on any vehicle. Never bought one in my life whether I did mods on that vehicle or not, and never once have I ever needed it. Would have been a waste of money every time if I purchased it.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifting will void your warranty, but a level should not and neither should bigger tires. That seems weird. I would check with another dealer service department for a second opinion.

Regardless, if you ever have plans to mod a vehicle in the future just save yourself the trouble and don't buy an extended warranty. Part of what comes with modding is the increased risk of issues with the truck. You are changing parts and doing things it was not designed for. Makes sense a warranty would be voided because of that. Personally I just never buy an extended warranty on any vehicle. Never bought one in my life whether I did mods on that vehicle or not, and never once have I ever needed it. Would have been a waste of money every time if I purchased it.

Only waste of money if you never have to use it. You must keep your trucks just to the point of failure then get a new one. Myself keep my cars until they literally fall apart. i bought the lifetime warranty. If the engine fails im covered for ever. if the trans fails at 90k miles im covered. no bubbles no troubles. bumper to bumper covered. As long as i keep up on the regular maintenance im covered.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only waste of money if you never have to use it. You must keep your trucks just to the point of failure then get a new one. Myself keep my cars until they literally fall apart. i bought the lifetime warranty. If the engine fails im covered for ever. if the trans fails at 90k miles im covered. no bubbles no troubles. bumper to bumper covered. As long as i keep up on the regular maintenance im covered.

It's a good feeling knowing your covered that's for sure.

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It was an extended warranty through the dealership not a manufactures warranty so i couldn't contact RAM. It would have been awesome if this dealer offered that.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was an extended warranty through the dealership not a manufactures warranty so i couldn't contact RAM. It would have been awesome if this dealer offered that.

Do you have the Maxcare warranty?
That's what I have and got the green light for the muffler like you did, talked about tires and level. I am running 285/75r17, up from stock 265 and was told I was fine (I really, really hope so). Leveling wise, I was told to not go the spacer route and when I mentioned the Bilstein leveling shocks they said that would be fine since it doesnt change the geometry.
And, the warranty cannot be wholly voided for a mod that does not affect that system. So if you lift your truck and change the geometry, that aspect will likely be void but the warranty on your engine or other unrelated items cannot legally be voided (Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act)

OP
OP
Itsalifestylee
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the Maxcare warranty?
That's what I have and got the green light for the muffler like you did, talked about tires and level. I am running 285/75r17, up from stock 265 and was told I was fine (I really, really hope so). Leveling wise, I was told to not go the spacer route and when I mentioned the Bilstein leveling shocks they said that would be fine since it doesnt change the geometry.
And, the warranty cannot be wholly voided for a mod that does not affect that system. So if you lift your truck and change the geometry, that aspect will likely be void but the warranty on your engine or other unrelated items cannot legally be voided (Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act)

Yeah its the maxcare warranty. Also, about the tires it says not to go 2 sizes or higher on the warranty information sheet you get when you purchase the vehicle. If i didn't see it there I honestly wouldn't have even asked.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah its the maxcare warranty. Also, about the tires it says not to go 2 sizes or higher on the warranty information sheet you get when you purchase the vehicle. If i didn't see it there I honestly wouldn't have even asked.

.....Well ****.
How do they define one tire size then? I had 265/70 up to 285/75
Guess ill only take the truck in for repair with my winter tire and wheel setup lol

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thank you.

I was waiting for someone to mention this.

I've had warranty work done on my truck....with all my mods.

Zero issues.

Edit: and I just joined the 5k club lmao

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
My dealership us a bunch of ******, they say what warranty when I take it in

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you.

I was waiting for someone to mention this.

I've had warranty work done on my truck....with all my mods.

Zero issues.

Edit: and I just joined the 5k club lmao

Congrats on the 5K club!!
And I have followed your build thread and reassuring you had no issues with mods (ALLLLL of them lol)
The only things I have done that affect the truck is Bilstein, new wheels and tires, and new muffler. Other stuff is cosmetic essentially. I will probably call the Lithia stealership to ask about tire size [anonymously] but up in Alaska every truck is lifted pretty much (around town is about 80% trucks to cars), so I cant imagine everyone has a voided warranty

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol my dealer didnt offer the warranty only until i joined here i learned of it. I took it straight back and got a refund on my 10yr 100k warranty and bought the max care lifetime warranty thought FCA only cost me $50 more. I asked the dealership why didnt they offer that up in the 1st place? They said they dont make any money off of it and so they dont mention it. I told them thats the last time i will step foot in this place. I understand about making a profit but hell let the customer chose what they wont.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol my dealer didnt offer the warranty only until i joined here i learned of it. I took it straight back and got a refund on my 10yr 100k warranty and bought the max care lifetime warranty thought FCA only cost me $50 more. I asked the dealership why didnt they offer that up in the 1st place? They said they dont make any money off of it and so they dont mention it. I told them thats the last time i will step foot in this place. I understand about making a profit but hell let the customer chose what they wont.

Damn that's crazy! My salesman talked about it the moment I decided I would take the truck "Are you thinking you would like to add a lifetime bumper to bumper?"
Ummm.... yes please? And it has already come in handy in a huge way and paid for itself

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
they have to prove whatever mod you did to your truck caused an issue/failure of a part.