Lost my fob this weekend - Stuck 3 hours from home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went camping 3 hours from home this weekend. I usually put my key fob in the little business card holder looking spot in the front of the center console cutout. Well, coming into the campground, I saw a dumpster. Since we had picked up lunch along the way, I wanted to throw out my trash, which was in the deep part of the center console cutout. Grabbed it up, walked to the dumpster, and tossed it in there. Got back in the truck to it chiming and the "FOB has left vehicle" sign flashing on the dash.

Crud. Did I just throw my key away with the trash? Quickly drove my truck over to the campsite, because I didn't want it to shut off right there by the dumpster. Turned it off and returned on foot to the dumpster. As it was fairly empty, I spent the next hour or so poking at garbage bags with a long umbrella I had in the truck. Never did find the key. Looked all over the place, and never found it. Gave up when the sun was going down.

The next day (Saturday), I called the dealers in the local area. Bad news. NOBODY has one in stock, and even if they did, I'd have to get my truck towed to the dealership to get the new key fob reprogrammed. Asked if a spare key (no fob) would do the trick and they said no. Had to be a programmed fob. So I was stuck there. Luckily, a very nice gentleman who was coming my way the next day stopped by my house and picked up my spare key fob. But if he hadn't have come, I would have been stuck there and would have had to get the truck towed.

So... although I like the keyless entry, and I realize the purpose behind the chipped key fobs... I now have a reason to hate them as well. That sucked!

Has anyone figured out a way to drive the truck with just a spare key (no fob), or is it a lost cause?

All the best,
Glenn

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Any road trip or weekend getaway I always take my two FOBs. I keep on in each front pocket. The first road trip I gave my wife one and the other in my pocket. She put it in her purse. The problem with that is she will leave her purse in the truck when we run into the Convienence store for a soda or snack and the truck will not lock since her fob is in the cab. When I get to my destination I always leave the second fob in the room or cabin we stay in. Losing a fob on a trip is my biggest fear.

KB Sabre

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I temporarily lost mine a few weeks ago. I was outside at a get together. I tried to drive the truck late at night and it wasn't detecting the fob in my pocket. Checked my pockets and it wasn't there. I had it in one of my cargo short pockets but must have come out when I grabbed something out of a nearby pocket.

The next morning I was hoping it was a bad dream. It wasn't. While I was searching around my truck and everywhere for this thing, I hear the door locks go off. My Dad had it. Said someone must have found it in the grass that morning. Holy **** was I lucky.

Little ******** are sneaky and slip out of site and pockets easily. As a side note, I wish they would make a specialized fob holder in the truck. It seems awkward to have it sit loosely in the console. That's where mine sits 90% of the time.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there are 3 things i feel "naked" without having in my pockets.. wallet, keys, phone. i may have an ocd to always feel for them especially in crowds. with the keyless i never take them out of my pocket even my phone.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like everything else, it's ~nice~ until something goes wrong.
I have the 'insert fobik into the dash' system. Nothing wrong with an extra fobik stashed inside the cab somewhere and a magnetic box with a door key stashed outside.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like the 1st 4 are all pushers.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
. The problem with that is she will leave her purse in the truck when we run into the Convienence store for a soda or snack and the truck will not lock since her fob is in the cab. When I get to my destination I always leave the second fob in the room or cabin we stay in. Losing a fob on a trip is my biggest fear.

Wait, the truck will not lock if there is a fob inside the cab? I'm guessing this is for the idiots (we all have done it) that lock their keys in the truck?

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another reason why I hate the push to start system. At some point, there will be an invention that it will connect to Bluetooth and unlock and drive using your phone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Another reason why I hate the push to start system. At some point, there will be an invention that it will connect to Bluetooth and unlock and drive using your phone.

They likely already exist and thieves likely have them.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
One reason why I don't want the push-to-start or "just let me in cuz I have a Dingus in my pocket" crap.

I want a good ol fashioned hunk of metal in my pocket that must be inserted and turned to start the truck. To open it too preferably.

That said, sorry to hear you got stuck. Might be a good idea to have an extra with you when you're so far from home.

ectoplaz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can the UConnect app on your phone remotely start your truck? I want to say it can, but don't have it in front of me.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can the UConnect app on your phone remotely start your truck? I want to say it can, but don't have it in front of me.

Yes, UConnect can remotely start/stop and lock/unlock the truck. However, if you use UConnect to start the vehicle it is just like using remote start from the fob, you can't do anything with the vehicle like put it in drive or anything until the fob is detected. So UConnect would not help you in this instance.

Just to state the obvious, if this was 1989 and you were at a camp site and threw your keys away you would still be S.O.L. but I suppose you could always break in and hot wire back then. :roflsquared:

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser

You must not have seen 007 Tomorrow Never Dies... They've had the techno fort a while now with patents.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Always my worst nightmare. When we travel I have the main set and the spare set is always either in my wifes purse or in the camper. Learned that lesson once and it stuck.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

guzzel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Any road trip or weekend getaway I always take my two FOBs. I keep on in each front pocket. The first road trip I gave my wife one and the other in my pocket. She put it in her purse. The problem with that is she will leave her purse in the truck when we run into the Convienence store for a soda or snack and the truck will not lock since her fob is in the cab. When I get to my destination I always leave the second fob in the room or cabin we stay in. Losing a fob on a trip is my biggest fear.

Good lesson to be learned here.

OP
OP
cajuntec

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait, the truck will not lock if there is a fob inside the cab? I'm guessing this is for the idiots (we all have done it) that lock their keys in the truck?

The truck will lock with a fob in the cab if the truck is running. I don't remember if the truck locked or not the other day, but I got in my truck in the early morning and locked the doors behind me. The truck horn blew a few times (I think 3 times) - I think it was a warning that the fob was in the truck and I was attempting to lock the door with it in there. But I didn't see if the truck locked or not.
All the best,
Glenn

OP
OP
cajuntec

cajuntec

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to state the obvious, if this was 1989 and you were at a camp site and threw your keys away you would still be S.O.L. but I suppose you could always break in and hot wire back then. :roflsquared:

Not really. If it was 1989, I would have got the emergency key out from under the truck where I stowed it on a stainless screw, locked in place with a lock washer and wing-nut, stuck it in the ignition, and been on my way. :)
All the best,
Glenn