In the market for a Ram!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good evening everyone! My name is Jesse and I don't currently own a ram. I don't even have a truck. Long story short, I will be in the market for a truck within the next 6months to a year. I've always leaned more towards GM vehicles; I grew up riding in my dads 86 K5 Blazer and then his 2001 Tahoe. My brother owns a 2500 Dmax. I myself own a 2002 Corvette Z06 and I daily a 2009 Cobalt SSTC. However, I've started looking into buying a truck for my new family and winter driving/road trips with 2 car seats.
The 4th gen Ram (IMO) is the one of the most beautiful full size pickups on the market. I've leaned towards Chevy because I've worked on them a lot, I know their quirks. I'm still open to Ford and even Toyota. Until recently I've never leaned towards Dodge trucks because I've never heard good things about them. True, it's all rumors, but hearing about nothing but transmission troubles can lead anyone away from a certain vehicle. Now, my real question to you Mopar guys... Is there anything I should know about going into possibly purchasing a ram? I'm looking for a 1500 Crew Cab, 4x4, etc.
I apologize the novel, just figured I'd give a little background to my situation. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm going to sum up what everyone is going to tell you in 3 points: HEMI, 8-speed, 3.92.

That being said, Are you buying used or new?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
This ^ or the ecodiesel if you like amazing fuel mileage and diesel engines lol.

I've had 2 Rams, both have been great! My next truck will be a Ram too!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely used haha! I can't afford a brand new truck. I'm thinking somewhere around $25k is as much as I want to spend. There's a possibility I could end up trading my cobalt in on the truck, or maybe not. So it may end up being my daily but most likely it will be the winter driving/road tripping/if I ever need to trailer the Corvette kinda thing haha

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've owned three Ram trucks and none of them ever gave me any transmission problems.

As you say, each vehicle make and model has it's own quirks and such is the case with Ram as well.

My first one, a 1999 extended cab, had a few quirks that were eventually solved, either by Ram or by the aftermarket. Most notably was the front suspension and the track bar. The 45RFE transmission in my truck never gave me any problems but I'd read about other trucks of that generation and their transmission problems. I think a lot of it was caused by abuse and poor maintenance. I towed a lot with mine and added a larger transmission oil cooler. 145K miles later I traded it in on a 2007 MegaCab.

That truck, bless it's poor little heart, was doing great until it got smashed. It did have it's quirks but it was more centered on electronics, specifically an oil pressure sensor issue and a throttle body issue. They were eventually sorted out by Dodge. I got the truck fixed but the smash did it's work. The truck had PCM problems, steering problems, sensor issues, a driveline whine and a transmission thump. I eventually got tired of fixing it and traded it in. I don't blame the truck...I blame the idiot Hyundai driver that stopped on the freeway in front of a lifted F350. He smacked her, I smacked him and he smacked her again. None of the issues I had at the time existed prior to the crash.

As far as my 2014 2500 CC with the 6.4L HEMI, no problems so far. A few recalls to address some minor issues and the engine was replaced right after I got it due to a factory quality control oversight that resulted in some of the 6.4L HEMI engines having undersized wrist pins installed. Dodge took care of the problem and I'm a happy camper.

Would I buy another Ram given my experience with them? Yes. I've owned Chevs, GMCs, Fords and Dodges and they all have their "issues". I just really like the Ram trucks.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My last dodge 4x4 , almost 300,000 miles never a transmission issue until the end it was starting to slip . I towed regularly under 5000 lbs and on several occasions kept my boat aprox 1500 lbs hooked to it for 3mo because I was bass fishing every other day . It was a great truck ! At 160,000 miles on it I pulled a same size Chevy all over Wallmart parking lot one night on a bet LOL I won the 12 pack ! Much younger much dumber .

My current Ram 14 QC 4X4 5.7L Hemi 6 Speed automatic with 3.55 Gears I love it ! power like a sports car & rides like a caddy and tows good for a 1500 .

Like posted above if I could change anything I would like 3.92 or 4.10 gears only because 35" tires and a lift is in my near future.
I may also would like the 8 speed xsmn ...

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll probably stick to somewhere between $25k and $30k so it will most likely be a 2011-2013 depending on the mileage. A quick search hasn't turned up many good results. Lots of 1500 express and tradesman models.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also look at the 44-44 vs. 44-45 transfer cases.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'll probably stick to somewhere between $25k and $30k so it will most likely be a 2011-2013 depending on the mileage. A quick search hasn't turned up many good results. Lots of 1500 express and tradesman models.
With rebates ($10k-13k) & negotiation you should be able to hit that price on a new one. Especially if you find one that's been on the lot a while.
I bought a dealer demo 2013 express crew 4x4 for $26,500 (Nov 2013) and then a 2013 SLT crew 4x4 Pentastar for $29,400 (Apr 2014).

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crap dude. I've never bought a brand new vehicle before... Might have to try that out. Thanks for that info.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep my 2014 QC 4X4 5.7 6 Speed was a$ 43,500 sticker , I drove it away for $29,500 with a $1000 trade in .

I bought my 2014 model in November 2013!

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh my god! I think I'll look into that instead of paying $28k on a truck with 80k miles on it haha. Funny thing is there's a dodge dealer like 10 minutes down the road with a gorgeous black on black on black on black 1500quad in the lot. I might make a stop on the way home tomorrow.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like stated above I agree buy new. With negotiations you can get a nice loaded one for that price. I bought a 2015 big horn for 28k.
Specially now end of year buy a 15 for a price of a used one
Good luck

OP
OP
LiteraCola

LiteraCola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the problem though... I won't really be comfortable enough to buy one until early next year... Maybe they'll still have some 2014s leftover...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's the problem though... I won't really be comfortable enough to buy one until early next year... Maybe they'll still have some 2014s leftover...
You don't necessarily have to get one that's been on the lot for a year or more .

I wheeled and dealed with them , got my 2014 truck for 14k under the "alreadydiscounted" sticker in Nov of 2013 , my truck was the next year's model and was on the lot for ONE MONTH !

GOOD LUCK .

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Yep wait into the new year and the 14's and 15's will be at a great price. Defiantly go with the 8 speed tranny and 392 gears. EVERYONE loves that combo.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problems with my ram 1500. Just a couple of things to thing about

1. V6, hemi or diesel options

2. Rear gears...check it if you tow...3.92 is best

3. Difference between quad cab and crew cab...crew cab is bigger and better for adult to sit in the back. Quad space is more for smaller kids or dogs.

4. Hemi engine is known to have a "hemi tick" when starting cold or sitting for a while. It's nothing major because after the truck warms up, it goes away. It's about oil being on the lifters when starting

5. 8 speed tranny is great ( I don't have one but I hear it's great)

6. If you drive alot, I recommend diesel engine

7. Stock good year tires are crap

8. If you stick around this forum, you WILL get bitten by the mod bug...meaning you will spend a **** load for mods on your truck afterwords

9. Add a catch can when you get it ( I haven't so feel free to give me ****..lol

10. If you are not in a hurry, wait a year or maybe 2 years...a redesign might happen soon, and you might be able to find a great deal on something newer.

11. Most People here are awesome...but before posting, do a search because there is a TON of great info on this site.

2012 Ram 1500 quadcab
**Sent from the *********