Mds Ping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've searched around and found threads on this but never really saw any with any solution if there is even one.

Most of the time I'm driving I'm trying to get good mileage so I'm babying it. If I'm barely touching the gas kind of lugging it and in eco mode and it goes into a higher gear it will start making a pinging noise. I can put it into 8th and it goes away so I know it is eco mode causing it. Or I can give it more gas and it will quit.

Most of the thread I've seen say get higher octane and better oil. Well I run 89 gas always and have Redline in it so that's not the issue. I was hoping the Redline might make it quit as I just put it in recently. It didn't

Is this pretty common? Anyone else have this? I'm sure the dealer will try to claim its because I put Redline in or something dumb, but its done it since I bought it.

Saw one thread mentioning a computer flash for that issue. But that thread was I think early 2016 so I'd think my 17 would have the update

Granite Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed the same thing with mine. I'm not sure about the oil because I haven't even had my first oil change yet.

It seems like the 4 cyl MDS doesn't have enough power for anything other than very light throttle. I'm not sure if increasing the octane will help with this.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe it will take a few trips for the redline to work. Are you using a top tier gas brand?