Mission question for a Ram 3500 DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr Gas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
We are moving from Richmond VA to Alta WY in June. My 2014 Ram 3500 has 4.10 rear end, DRW, Aisin transmission, diesel. I want to buy a gooseneck trailer (approx 25-30',dual tandem) and a 20' shipping container. I will put all of my shop equipment on pallets and load the container and then pull the rig 2200 miles. In Wyoming I will sell the container and probably the gooseneck.

Is this a crazy plan? Anyone have any experience pulling a 20' container either empty or loaded? What size gooseneck to get? I passed my class A CDL just in case I get stopped and asked for one even though this is personal not for hire. Will the RAM do it?

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Those can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. I'd check into renting what you need.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Yeah 3500 drw 4.10 aisin should be in the high 20k range for towing, 2wd reg cab should be 31k

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
Yes, depending on the shop tools you have. I'm picturing my shop and I'd have to say it would be too heavy to load it all but most don't have a 1940's era Cressent 24 inch joiner that weighs 2,500 pounds or all the other over sized "industrial" strength wood working tools.

That said you have the most capable truck Ram makes and assuming your collection of shop equipment is not outrageous will be fine.

Also that said. While I personally would love to have another shipping container and a goose neck trailer you might be better off seeing what options you have for renting. I imagine trying to sell those in Wyoming could take a while. Your population of people/prospective buyers is a lot less. Plus the depreciation value of a new trailer vs used one etc.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you watch your weights.

Take your unloaded rig full of fuel and all the gear you will need for the trip in the truck, to a CAT scale. You will get your unloaded GCVW.

Subtract this from your Max GCVW and that is how much weight you can load into the container.

Hope that helps

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree. Check your weights of the load and trailer combined to make sure you are within the tow ratings. Don't forget to figure out the loaded weight of your truck and the pin weight of the gooseneck!

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
why not just a gooseneck cargo trailer? the empty weights of a flatbed gooseneck plus a cargo container are much higher then an empty gooseneck cargo trailer

flatbed gooseneck - 30' with 16,000lbs GVWR = 5,000lbs
20' shipping container = 5,070lbs

gooseneck cargo trailer - 40' with 18,000lbs GVWR = 7420lbs

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked on what it would cost to have a container shipped? Something like PODS you could rent the container from them but I'm sure they're more expensive than just a shipping company.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was thinking calling a Penske rental place and renting the whole trailer. Hell I think you can rent a semi from them if you wanted. They should have what you need.