Moving from a 2nd Gen Dakota

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the process of trying to decide if I want to make the jump to a RAM. I have been driving Dakota's for 27 years having the first gen and now a 2nd gen. I currently have an '01 4X4 club cab with the 3.9 V6. For the most part the truck has been great. The issues I currently have are the seriously peeling clear coat and a minor rust issue over the rear wheels. The truck only has 73K on the clock and I'm pretty good at keeping things repaired or serviced. I actually love the way it handles under all conditions and it's great in the snow, at least the snow we get on Long Island. I'm relocating to the Berkshires in retirement and my wife is nudging me to get a RAM. (I help the situation because I've loved the look of the 4th gen since it hit the streets!) However I have taken two test drives in two different 14 RAM's at two dealerships and I'm not positive I want to make the jump. The monetary side is secondary. I know that if I keep the Dakota I can square the paint and bodywork up for $3-3500. I also know that the Dakota could probably command near $10K if it is in excellent condition, although I wouldn't fix it to sell, just to keep. Most all of the truck is in great shape and I can see it in my driveway in another 16 years! On the other hand a RAM is way newer in time although the mileage won't be that much different. My Dakota feels connected to the road, a shortcoming I found in both RAM's I drove. It's probably the electric steering but it is something I will have to accept.

Has anyone here made a similar jump fro a Dakota to a RAM? I guess I'm being picky about things that are just "progress" but I also am one who likes the vehicle I drive to give me feedback. Maybe that's why I love my Miata!

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Based on your writing I highly suggest you just put that $5500 towards keeping your joy on the road. Unless you need bigger and more powerful, stick with what makes you happy.

F.O.F

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based on your writing I highly suggest you just put that $5500 towards keeping your joy on the road. Unless you need bigger and more powerful, stick with what makes you happy.

F.O.F

I agree with DRkNESS. The way you wrote about it, one can definitely tell you care about your truck. I would put the money into it and get her cleaned up. I think if you purchased the RAM you might regret it down the road since it doesn't have the same connection you are speaking about.

On the other hand, I just purchased my first Truck/ RAM almost 3 months ago and I love it. Very beautiful truck.

Do what makes you happy as you will be the one driving it and having to live with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

F.O.F

Couldn't of said it better . "BUT" another aspect is financially . All vehicles are liabilities and rarely an asset . If it makes sense in the books retirement wise , why not ? It sounds like you can have your cake an eat it too. I don't know your wife but she sounds like a keeper . If your heart is not there answer is no .

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couldn't of said it better . "BUT" another aspect is financially . All vehicles are liabilities and rarely an asset . If it makes sense in the books retirement wise , why not ? It sounds like you can have your cake an eat it too. I don't know your wife but she sounds like a keeper . If your heart is not there answer is no . Speaking from experience I went from gas to diesel and was very unsure . I now have a 3500 Cummins and couldn't be happier . I was stubborn and am very hard headed when it comes to change but I'm glad I did .

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry Dup post phone was being weird .

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
patchelect--I made the move to my first RAM following 10 years with my 92 Dakota. 93,000 miles on that 318 and I loved that truck. Parting was painful, but I jumped into an '02 RAM. Felt big, that's for sure, but when on the road the extra room was nice. I drive a 2015 Sport now and I'm probably going to put Hellwig and better shocks in it like the Dakota for that "buttoned down" feeling you speak of. Oh, my other ride is a 2015 Mini Cooper.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never felt as into a vehicle as you obviously are. I'd love to be able to find my forever truck and keep it long term. I say keep what you've got and freshen it up a bit.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I went from my loaded '01 Dakota Club Cab 4x4 with 4.7 V8 and 3.92 gears to the truck in my sig. The Dak was a great truck, rode great and would pull anything I hooked behind it but not past a gas station. Why did I leave the Dak after 16yrs of ownership? Maintenance issues were getting too regular with 140k on the truck, especially brakes. Paint was going bad and some rust starting to appear. My wife wanted the newer safety features--more airbags, stability control, ABS, and far better brakes. We also wanted to get a bigger trailer that would have been too much for the Dak to pull, stop, or control.

The one thing I would have never worried about on the Dak was the engine--the 4.7 was a great mill in that truck and was running smooth and pulling hard. In fact, my employer was so impressed with that truck that he bought it as a service runner and to pull a small enclosed utility trailer.

Having said all that, the Ram has more power, better transmission, better and quieter ride, more room, better interior finish and seats, and gets 1.5-2.0 mpg better fuel economy. And, my wife got her safety upgrades.

Neither of us are looking back.

Best,
DG

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a couple Dakotas to a couple RAMs. The RAMs are a lot bigger and more truck, but I needed the space and tow capability at the time. If they were still selling Dakotas new I probably would have one now, however.

So if you want a newer truck, you'll learn to live with the RAM, if not, keep that gem you got. Either way its going to cost, and is a bit of a crap shoot, so might as well enjoy it.

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a new Dakota in 98 and had it for 10 years before thought I would try a Durango. Well three Durango's, and two rams later, I still wish I had it back. To bad Ram does not make them any more.

nasty_nat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 99 dakota with the 5.2 for years before my ram. I loved that truck and still miss it alot, treated me well. Cab space is all that made me go full size. I love my ram, but In my opinion, if you dont need the cab space, Id keep your truck. Sounds like thats how you will be happiest.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I owned a 2008 Dakota crew cab and it was a wonderful truck and I really like it because it was it was bigger then the small ford and Chevy equivalent.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pix

Her we go. The general shots, the peeling clear coat and the blistering over one rear wheel. Remember, a 2001 with only 72,000 on the clock, original owner.

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2780.jpg
    IMG_2780.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 27

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Again if all it needs is some t.l.c for you to continue to love it, then that's exactly what I would do. :)

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know if this is an option but why not both??? I know a few people who own multiple trucks. but if thats not an option maybe look at a newer dakota i believe the newest year ive seen is '11.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it were me, I'd get a newer truck now while you can, never know what the future will bring. Current truck is 16 years old, even if you put some money in it now, I wouldn't count on it not having more problems in the future as it gets over 20 years old. I've been through this with other vehicles too, once you start this process, even if you have more problems, you start to say to yourself that you have invested too much to get rid of it now and keep putting more into it. Bottom line, for me, I'd upgrade to a newer truck now while you have the means.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Now see that's exactly the reason why I've set a go to budget. Meaning if and when the work needed to keep my Ram enjoyable reaches a certain amount, that's when it goes bye bye.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobram1500