Moving from a 2nd Gen Dakota

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not able to have both and I can't justify it even if I could wing the money and the parking. I'm waffling with keeping the Dakota especially if the CEL issues issues get resolved. (Another thread!)

As the days pass the RAM is becoming more and more likely. I'm going to learn to accept the seemingly disconnected steering as "progress". I am very in love with the look of the RAM (I love the Dakota too!) and having the extra cab space can't be bad either. I'm retired or am in the process of doing so and no longer will need to have something to do dirty work beyond a quick trip to Cheapo-Depot.

And I still have my 2002 Miata for honest spirited driving.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I jumped from a 1995 Dakota (SLT with 5.2L V8, extended cab 4x4) to a 2001 Ram 1500 Laramie (5.9L V8 "suicide doors" extended cab 4x4) to a 2010 Dakota quad cab Big Horn 4x4. I loved the bigger size of the Rams, the extra power, everything. But I wanted the smaller loan payment of a Dakota, so I tried to go that route. After three years, I was tired of the compromise I had made, and came back to Ram. I have not regretted it at all, despite the bigger payments.

Everyone's different. It sounds like if you keep your Dakota, you'll always be wary of the potential issues it develops. However, if you buy the Ram, you'll be worried if you made a mistake and worry about how long it will last you. Personally, I'd go the Ram route, but thats my bias at play.

Don't live life with worry and doubt, especially over a very finite thing like a vehicle. Whichever decision you make, commit and don't look back often, if at all. Hind sight will always be 20/20, as they say.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have to agree with you Jason. I think the RAM is in my horizon, possibly as soon as next week.

Besides, the value of the Dakota is probably at the highest it will be and selling mine might be financially logical as well.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 05 dakota,,4 door, 4x4, with a V8, it was a great truck, had the normal ball joints and shocks replaced and the exhaust manifold bolts snap (both commo issues), only other issue was the transfer case motor would randomly try to shift into 4wd(unplugged the fuse and let the guy I sold it to know about it). Had 180,000 miles on it and only left me stranded once(dead battery). I do miss that truck, but the interior, ride, fit and finish of my ram are much, much better, plus I got a hemi and it makes a cool sound

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a 2005 Dakota quad cab ST 4.7L. Great little truck, sounded great, and did just about everything I wanted it to do short of not having 4x4.

My '11 and current '16 Outdoorsman have 4x4, 2x the towing capacity, more interior and bed room (similar payload due to leaf springs), better fuel economy. The list could continue, but essentially everything except initial cost, ease of parking and fitting in traffic is better in the full size trucks.

2 additional notes, both IMO; I don't think you'll be able to get $10k for 16 year old truck. The 4x4 will help, but even if it was in perfect condition, V6s just don't help value

I would never spend $3.5k on paint and rust related body work on any vehicle unless it was less than 10 years old or a classic.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2006 Dakota 3.7 that I liked quite a bit. But love my Ram, much more fun to drive but that is comparing Hemi to 3.7 which was dog. Plus its just nicer. Still liked my Dak though especially that not that near as many people mod Dak's so I constantly got compliments on it. Truck was an ST so was probably only worth like 5500 but I literally got compliments all the time on sweet truck.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I did it! Took possession of a '14 CPO with 40K on the clock. Silver/Black. Spent the day getting everything done and within 6 hours I was driving it home. I have to admit that it is wonderful! The Dakota is a whole different vehicle in so many ways. Nothing against it and nothing against the RAM.

Now to sell the Dakota~

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to beat the horse, but last night the missus and I made an executive decision. We're keeping the Dakota, keeping the RAM, keeping the Miata and selling the Subaru Outback. She loves the RAM and has no problem with it becoming "her" vehicle. The Outback was supposed to be out "last" car/vehicle but the creature comforts of the RAM have precluded that idea. The Outback has been a wonderful vehicle for almost 90,000 miles and over 6 years but the RAM can do what it does and I can keep my Dakota. I originally had planned to fix it up anyway so now I can move forward with those plans. I figured out the CEL issues to be injector related (simple fix) and the danged truck does everything else so well that I hate the thought of parting with it. This way I can have my cake and eat it too!

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Sounds like you have a plan! I know what you are going through--even tho it gets 2/3 the mileage of her Accord, my wife prefers we take the Ram for the 1000mi trek to visit parents. It rides better, is quieter and better equipped for travel (like room for a snack/beverage cooler on the floor up front), and we are both much less fatigued when we arrive. The Accord will probably be a goner once the Ram is paid off!
Best,
DG

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963