My Ram 2500 Build, need to order, Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
So, as some of you know I'm new to the forum and have been looking for a 2500 Mega 6.4 Hemi. I have been looking for about a month and I have sent out 4 requests for quotes for a built truck with the options I want. So far all the prices I have received from the local dealers in Socal are real high. I took everyones advice and made contact with Dennis Dillon Chrysler in Caldwell, ID. I have been working with a guy named Kim Tolsma who provided me a great initial price and has been very helpful.

I built a truck on the Build My Ram site and sent Kim the info to quote. After reading a lot on here I picked all the options I thought wanted, Here is the list is sent off.

2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4

Colors
Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint
Black Interior Color

Options
18-Inch x 8.0-Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels
6-Speed Automatic 66RFE Transmission
6.4-Liter V8 Mid Duty HEMI® MDS Engine $1,395
Uconnect® 8.4AN AM/FM/SXM/HD/BT/NAV $500
LT275/70R18E OWl On/Off-Road Tires $200
Instrument Panel Mounted Auxiliary Switches $130
Single Disc Remote CD Player $195
Rear Window Defroster $150
Power Chrome Trailer Tow Mirrors w/Power Fold-Away $180
Spray-In Bedliner $475
Wheel to Wheel Side Steps $600
RamBox® Cargo Management System $1,295
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio $125
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats $500
220-Amp Alternator $100
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle $325
Convenience Group $395
Protection Group $100
Remote Start System (N/A Manual Transmission) $200
Keyless Enter 'n Go(TM) $150
$7,015

The quote i got back from Kim at Dennis Dillon was by far the best. Initially, the MSRP was $58,200. His price to me was $47,036.00 + TTL. I do believe this includes the Destination fee. I am hoping to get the price cut down a bit more so i started looking at the options I have and thought some of them are not really necessary and Kim pretty much agreed. They are nice-to-haves, at this point.

Here are my thoughs on the options I may discard to save a few pennies.
-Don't really have the need for the 220amp Alt. The only items I may add in the future may be an extra set of off road lights or driving lights.
-Rear Window Defrost. I live in Southern California so the very few times I am in an extended ice storm are limited.
-LT275/70R/18 Off Road Tires. Not sure how much better these tires are than the stock factory all-season they would normally put on it. In a year or so I may end up getting new rubber and wheels anyways.
-Ram Box. Not sure which way to go with this. I really like the idea of the Ram Box and think the storage will be nice but I really feel I will prefer to have either a traditional Fiberglass Tonneau or a Cap. Mosly would be for more secure storage and space when we travel on road trips. What is some of your opinions on this? This has me stuck, bad!
-4.10 Gears. My intended use for this truck is not a daily driver. I have a 1500 SLT company truck that is driven every day for work. MY 2500 will be driven in the evenings and weekends. It will also be our family road-trip vehicle. Anywhere from 2K-4K miles round trip 2-3 times per year. My towing needs are not that great other than the couple times a year towing of a 10K# + Dump Trailer. How much better is the MPG with the 3.73 compared to the 4.10 gears?

Here's the deal. If I nix the options I mentioned I can get this truck price down to about $45,500 or so. This price seems very good to me and I don't think i will miss the options I would take off my original list. What are your thoughs and opinions? Especially talk me into or out of the Ram Box. Thanks for reading this long post.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would lose the tires and the ram box, sounds like you might go with a cap anyway to keep things dry for the family and you lose that option with the ram box. Tires, your gonna replace em anyway. The mileage difference with the 4.10 is negligible but you will be kicking yourself about that $125 when your hook up the dump trailer. Plus the 4:10 will probably be more desireable at resale time

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I agree with above..

Don't bother with the upgraded rubber, you just said you're going to upgrade down the road anyway.

Don't bother with the ram box, spend half of that $1300 on a solid tri-fold locking tonneau.

4.10's on an HD truck are good for resale, and the difference in fuel economy is negligable.

Rear defrost... I live in Canada, don't have it, and have never needed it.

When I bought my truck, the salesman said something to me that actually made sense (I know, right?). I was looking between a middle of the road sport, and a fully loaded sport, and because I plan on trading in ~4 years, I'm only renting those options I got in the fully loaded one anyway. I get most of my money back out of them at trade in time.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Lose the wheels/tires and get better aftermarkets.

I would ditch the Ram Boxes too but definitely pick up the back up camera.

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
I second getting the back up camera...and I'd discard the rear defrost option. I live in Nebraska and didn't select that option when ordering my truck. Haven't wished I had that option yet.

SPDKLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited Mega Cab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think the $47 is a heck of a deal. I am paying almost $4k more and thought that was a steal. Seems like some of the extras you ordered can be had if you included the Limited package (Customer Preferred Package 22M). It includes the RamBox.

It seems like some of the stuff you are nixing is a couple hundred here and there besides the box. If you are financing, you are talking just a few dollars or so.

You can still use a tonneau cover with RamBox-just have to find a certain kind. RamBox was a must for me because I hunt and fish and am always carrying something in my truck-whether it be tow straps, emergency kit, extinguisher or random knick knacks. The box was a way for me to move that from the second row seat area and keep it out of the way until needed. I ended up buying the cargo system with dividers and nets for the box and when I go hunting or fishing, I have the rifle/fishing pole holder that fits in one side. I don't like the look or have the necessity for a cover, so the RamBox was my best and most desirable option. Whatever you decide, just make sure you are set on it because RamBox is not something you can just add or take off.

I would forego the tires, wheel to wheel steps (you can buy those for half the price) and others. However, like I said before, if you decide to keep the RamBox, look into the Limited package. It is a much nicer leather that is only found in the Limited with gray stitching/piping and you get black colored wood instead of the brown stuff. You also get the 8.4AN, the side steps and bed liner. Package retails at $2795, Invoices at $2376, but dealers sell it for $2k easy and that knocks out a few hundred. You can do the RamBox delete with the Limited, but then I don't think it is worth it unless you really like the interior (which I do).

FYI, our builds are almost identical except I opted for the center stop light with cargo camera (in addition to the standard rear view) and have the Limited pkg and did not do the tires or fold away mirrors. I think the fold away mirrors are way too big-even when pulling my 20' enclosed trailer.

I am still waiting on my truck to arrive and yesterday started week seven.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I second getting the back up camera...and I'd discard the rear defrost option. I live in Nebraska and didn't select that option when ordering my truck. Haven't wished I had that option yet.

Lots of great info from all. Thanks.

I assumed/thought the backup alarm and camera were standard with the Laramie package or the 8.4 /Nav system. I will have to check.

I think I will stick with the 4.10 and ditch the rear defrost, tire upgrade and 220 amp alternator. Ram Box is still up in the air at this time but leaning to nix it as an option.

One thing Kim at Dennis Dillon mentioned to me was that if I order the running boards and the spray in bed liner that it can tend to hold up the build by as much as 2-3 weeks as those items are done after the truck is built and installed by a separate vendor Chrysler uses. He said they can do the bed liner and steps at their facility once the truck arrives and prices would be the same. Not sure if this is true and I'm sure they make more money for themselves but if it gets my truck faster then I may go this route.

I will have to check the Limited model and the interior upgraded leather. thanks for that hint.

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
One thing Kim at Dennis Dillon mentioned to me was that if I order the running boards and the spray in bed liner that it can tend to hold up the build by as much as 2-3 weeks as those items are done after the truck is built and installed by a separate vendor Chrysler uses. He said they can do the bed liner and steps at their facility once the truck arrives and prices would be the same. Not sure if this is true and I'm sure they make more money for themselves but if it gets my truck faster then I may go this route.

Yes. That is correct. The factory spray in bedliner and side steps are done at a different location, so it will add some time to the build. I did the aftermarket spray in bedliner (Line-X Platinum) as I wanted a particular formula used on my truck. Turned out to be pretty close to the same price (about $50 more) as going factory installed, but I got a better product.

SPDKLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited Mega Cab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I assumed/thought the backup alarm and camera were standard with the Laramie package or the 8.4 /Nav system. I will have to check.

I will have to check the Limited model and the interior upgraded leather. thanks for that hint.

Rear parking sensors (back up alarm) and rear view camera are standard. The camera I mentioned is an optional cargo camera installed in the third brake light. The display shows on your rearview mirror and the camera is only aimed at the bed area so you can check on cargo as you travel. It is a no cost option because if you get it, you are not going to have the rain sensing wipers nor will you have the auto high beam feature. The sensors/parts for both are integrated with the rear view mirror, so you get one or the other. The non cargo camera is the norm so if you want a cargo camera, you have to ask and it shows on your order form.

So, you choose between having your wipers and high beams turn on automatically or having a camera in your cargo. I ride and haul motorcycles so to me, having the cargo camera was more important than not using my hands to flip a wiper or high beam switch.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Imo I would ditch the tires ram box and the alternator keep the rest that's just my opnion I have a trifold cover and love it.

I would also ditch the CD player of you have a smart phone the blue tooth/phone interface is top notch and there really isn't a need for a CD player.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My only suggestion to you is dont bother spending the extra money on tires. ALL of the stock tires are junk and you will need a new set very soon regardless.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Imo I would ditch the tires ram box and the alternator keep the rest that's just my opnion I have a trifold cover and love it.

I would also ditch the CD player of you have a smart phone the blue tooth/phone interface is top notch and there really isn't a need for a CD player.

I suppose your right about the CD Player. The only reason I thought about it was for the road trips. We like to use "books on tape". But I assume those can be down loaded to our iPhones. Thanks.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck at Dennis Dillon. They do have great prices and often have out of state buyers. I live about 20 miles from them so just shopped there and they had the truck I wanted. Didn't realize their pricing was as good as it was until I compared it to others around. Just don't plan on getting **** for a trade in. They low low ball you. Trade in value on the car I tried to trade in was 10. They offered 7. Sold to a friend for 11.

SPDKLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited Mega Cab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On your running board issue.....I recently swapped out my first loaner for another since the first was already over 500 miles. The first was pretty loaded and had running boards.

This new one I have does not have running boards and I can tell you, it is a PITA getting in and out of it. I feel like I have to grab the handle to pull myself up every time and then fall to the floor when I get out. I am only 5'7" so if you are taller, it may not be an issue. However, this is only a 1500 model! I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with a 2500 model.

So, if you are average height or shorter, you may want to consider keeping the running boards or have some ready to put on when you get the truck home. Of course if you do the Limited package, they will be on it.

Additionally, I asked my dealer again about the front park assist delay and I was told they were getting trucks in weekly with the assist so they have not heard anything about it.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
On your running board issue.....I recently swapped out my first loaner for another since the first was already over 500 miles. The first was pretty loaded and had running boards.

This new one I have does not have running boards and I can tell you, it is a PITA getting in and out of it. I feel like I have to grab the handle to pull myself up every time and then fall to the floor when I get out. I am only 5'7" so if you are taller, it may not be an issue. However, this is only a 1500 model! I couldn't imagine how bad it would be with a 2500 model.

So, if you are average height or shorter, you may want to consider keeping the running boards or have some ready to put on when you get the truck home. Of course if you do the Limited package, they will be on it.

Additionally, I asked my dealer again about the front park assist delay and I was told they were getting trucks in weekly with the assist so they have not heard anything about it.

I will be getting running boards for sure. The recommendation was to have the dealer install the running boards and the bed liner as those two items apparently can hold up the delivery times by as much as three plus weeks if done at the factory or by the factory accessorisor.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will be getting running boards for sure. The recommendation was to have the dealer install the running boards and the bed liner as those two items apparently can hold up the delivery times by as much as three plus weeks if done at the factory or by the factory accessorisor.

I got my wheel to wheel steps installed for $520 from the dealer. I just negotiated it as part of the sale they had to install them for their cost and they took it. You might be able to get the same done for yours.