My ram pushed hard through harvey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I live in Austin and wanted to help so me an a couple of vets grabbed our trucks and 2 boats, supplies and went to Houston. We spent 2 days there and drove to Port Arthur and spent another 2 there. We where told the road was not passable but we still made it. Here are a few bad pics of my 17 ram pushing through. Had water over my hood twice but most of the time just under my door handles. Not a drop of water inside my truck!! Very impressed with ram door seals! I think what helped a lot was my bed was loaded down with cases of water.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

only damage to truck was both front fender liners messed up and water in both fog lights.
Sorry pic is sideways.

picture.php

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good on you for being able & willing to help.

I see in some of the pics, you had a pretty good bow wave out in front of you....remember, that wave can cause damage too, like flooding places that weren't previously flooded (ie houses).

On another site, there is a discussion ongoing about some youtube video where a cop & a person who was driving too fast thru a neighborhood and his bow wave flooded some houses out that weren't.

As for your truck....you better check/change out the fluid in your diffs, brake fluid & brakes, trans & tcase, and have the wheel bearings checked as well.

Driving around in flooding like that, especially for long periods of time, has a way of getting water in EVERYTHING that got wet.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good on you for being able & willing to help.

I see in some of the pics, you had a pretty good bow wave out in front of you....remember, that wave can cause damage too, like flooding places that weren't previously flooded (ie houses).

On another site, there is a discussion ongoing about some youtube video where a cop & a person who was driving too fast thru a neighborhood and his bow wave flooded some houses out that weren't.

As for your truck....you better check/change out the fluid in your diffs, brake fluid & brakes, trans & tcase, and have the wheel bearings checked as well.

Driving around in flooding like that, especially for long periods of time, has a way of getting water in EVERYTHING that got wet.

Yea I checked EVERYTHING when I made it back home. My buddy behind me in a Chevy 2500 had water in his front diff but that was all. Im still very impressed on how water tight my truck was in that situation. I was going at a very slow speed. I agree about the waves but unfortunately you will get those at slow speeds as well.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's awesome that u guys helped out. I wasnt directly effected by Harvey but I still would like to thank you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
@IVEY-USMC, I wasn't affected by big Harv, but might get some of irma's furry though, but anyway, you sir are awesome, its people like and your buddy that make this country great, it's very unfortunate that there's ignorant,stupid,selfish,moronic,****** assholes down there taking people's lives for a boat to go loot there own towns stores. It saddens me to hear people are killing people in such a time for need and compassion. it's craziness man,craziness.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@IVEY-USMC, I wasn't affected by big Harv, but might get some of irma's furry though, but anyway, you sir are awesome, its people like and your buddy that make this country great, it's very unfortunate that there's ignorant,stupid,selfish,moronic,****** assholes down there taking people's lives for a boat to go loot there own towns stores. It saddens me to hear people are killing people in such a time for need and compassion. it's craziness man,craziness.

Yea, that's a damn shame. We all had guns and the police said make sure they see your guns. My buddies had theirs out but I kept mine concealed just in case. They even told us that we should of brought our ar's! WTF We had a few people try some shady stuff but nothing too bad. We talked to some swat officers and people tried to take their boats from them and they had to draw down on them. Most people where grateful and just wanted to get the hell out.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got caught in the flooding in Arkansas earlier this year, and it wasn't near that bad, but I did have water up on the body a few times.

I also checked mine, and found no water luckily.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yea, that's a damn shame. We all had guns and the police said make sure they see your guns. My buddies had theirs out but I kept mine concealed just in case. They even told us that we should of brought our ar's! WTF We had a few people try some shady stuff but nothing too bad. We talked to some swat officers and people tried to take their boats from them and they had to draw down on them. Most people where grateful and just wanted to get the hell out.

I live where sandy hit pretty hard and people were crossing the Barnegat bay in small 10-12 ft John boats to get to the island and loot all the boardwalk stores and mansions but nobody was killed over anything except the looters that got tossed overboard and drown because the only time they could sneak across was during the storm at night so the cops couldn't see them, but to see that **** going on down there is just unimaginable.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I got caught in the flooding in Arkansas earlier this year, and it wasn't near that bad, but I did have water up on the body a few times.

I also checked mine, and found no water luckily.

This is just a suggestion and only that, if anyone is "planning" on going through deep water, you can extend the breather hoses on your diffs and t cases. I've ran a few junk trucks through rivers and shallow ponds but they were junk vehicles so we never bothered to do any of the preventative maintenance tricks.

OP
OP
ivey_usmc

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is just a suggestion and only that, if anyone is "planning" on going through deep water, you can extend the breather hoses on your diffs and t cases. I've ran a few junk trucks through rivers and shallow ponds but they were junk vehicles so we never bothered to do any of the preventative maintenance tricks.

Good Idea.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
THANK YOU for your willingness to help--but that's just what Marines do! I'm sure there are many people that were grateful to see you and grateful for your help. IMHO it's not a bad idea to carry in Houston no matter what the circumstances are. One quick question about the water and the depth---do you have a Vararam on your truck?
Semper Fi brother
Jay

if you live in Austin PM me and let's try to get together for a cup of coffee, beer or lunch.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good on you for helping. wish i were closer and in a better position to help myself. I woudl have drug the bass boat down. FWIW, when I was changing spark plugs this weekend, I noticed my front diff breather tube is beside my battery.