My truck is 2015 Ram 2500 tradesman longbed with 6.7 cummins engine. it has 2 batteri

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
My truck is 2015 Ram 2500 tradesman longbed with 6.7 cummins engine. it has 2 batteries, does it mean that it's 24 volts? not 12 volts?

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I may also be wrong.
2 12v batteries can be wired parallel and still be 12v's.
If they were wired in a series they would be 24v.
However I don't know how they are actually wired.
I do not remember seeing anything that states my 13 is 24v's.

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's wired in parallel just like about every other diesel on the planet. It's done this way to boost CCA for starting and total capacity for all of the extra electronics and misc hardware the diesel has.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is not 24volts. The 2 batteries are there to provide enough juice for the intake heater (6.7 uses a grid heater instead of glow plugs) as well as turn over the starter.

And as an FYI, always change both at the same time. Swapping just one will lead to the new one getting run down since the older one, even if still good, won't have the same amount of juice.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is not 24volts. The 2 batteries are there to provide enough juice for the intake heater (6.7 uses a grid heater instead of glow plugs) as well as turn over the starter.

And as an FYI, always change both at the same time. Swapping just one will lead to the new one getting run down since the older one, even if still good, won't have the same amount of juice.

^ what 6.7CumminsDrvr said.
Another good piece of advice if ever jump starting or charging connect to the passenger side battery, and any accessories you install that required battery connection connect to that side.

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I may also be wrong.
2 12v batteries can be wired parallel and still be 12v's.
If they were wired in a series they would be 24v.
However I don't know how they are actually wired.
I do not remember seeing anything that states my 13 is 24v's.

Thanks.

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

Thanks for the tip.