Need advice on possible dealership issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rossiskier78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to get advice on something with the 2010 Ram I just bought about 2 weeks ago. I love the truck so far besides the list of things I have uncovered wrong with it. I know it is used but a few should have been caught during pre sale inspection. This may get long and I may ramble.....ha

Anyways I bought the truck with around 59k miles. The oil change light turned on day 2 of ownership so I figured an oil change was never done before sale or it just didn't get reset. So when I had the truck back at the dealership for 2 leaking rear tires, replacing the non functional back up camera, replacing a dead license plate bulb and a dead cargo light bulb I asked for any pre sale maintenance records. I get them and it states Oil change, State inspection, both cv shafts, front and rear pads and rotors, both sway bar links, balance all 4 tires, and alignment @ 58783 miles. The alignment was never completed due to machine down, stated on the maintenance records.

So after taking the truck for a trip at highway speeds, I had a horrible shake and a slight pull to the left. Shake was enough that I wanted to give the truck back. I had read stories about issues like this and I was a little concerned so I brought it in to the dealership to have the alignment completed. And recheck the rear tires as they still had a slow leak.

It appears the leaks have been fixed along with the shake. We shall see how long it lasts.

Yesterday I was looking at my engine and noticed a K&N oil filter. I thought that was odd as what dealership uses K&N filters for an everyday oil change. Not where I bought my truck. Anyways I pull out that maintenance record to check the part # for the oil filter that was supposedly used. Well its 4884899-AC. Guess what its a Mopar filter. Hmmmm! I begin to wonder if an oil change ever got completed.

If this didn't bother me enough I told my dealer I was bringing the truck to my personal mechanic to do a one over on it. They said they would fix whatever is found. Did I or do I believe it, IDK! Should have gotten it on paper! The one over was today and I get a call saying all is good except the driver side CV Shaft is bad. I again pull out the maintenance record I have and it shows as completed at 58783 miles, I am currently just over 60k miles. My mechanic says it doesn't appear to have ever been replaced.

At this point I'm a little pissed off but maybe I'm in the wrong. Idk. If it were you how would you handle this? The oil change issue almost bothers me more as it was so easy to catch....

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it was me I would take the truck back to the dealer and ask the service manager directly if the oil change was done along with the CV. If he says yes then show him the records and ask him why there is a k&N filter still in the truck. also make them honor the CV shaft replacement. Since your mechanic says all is good I wouldn't worry about the truck, just get it repaired by the dealer and then find a new dealer or keep going to your mechanic. Clearly that dealer isn't very honest. Unless the owner put in the filter after the oil change but before the trade in.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was this a RAM / Chrysler dealer or a independent dealer?

OP
OP
R

rossiskier78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was me I would take the truck back to the dealer Ave all the service manager directly if the oil change was done along with the CV. If he says yes then show him the records and ask him why there is a k&N filter still in the truck as well as make them honor the CV shaft replacement. Since your mechanic says all is good I wouldn't worry about the truck, just get it repaired by the dealer and then find a new dealer or keep going to your mechanic. Clearly that dealer isn't very honest. Unless the owner put in the filter after the oil change but before the trade in.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I know the oil change wasn't before the trade in because the list of work I listed was done by the dealership as pre sale prep! So that answers that....

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well, i would have had a mechanic go over the truck before you bought it.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would take it back and ask what's up with the CV. Personally I change oil and air filter... The basic maintenance stuff after buying any used vehicle anyways. But CV would have me bringing it back to see if they would do anything about it.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i change all fluids on a used vehicle.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I concur with 02BLKRAM47's advice. If they don't make good and you have irrefutable proof of dishonesty then raise holy hell (attorney general's office, BBB, google review, Yelp!). One bad experience can be shared with thousands of prospective customers in a matter of minutes.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well, i would have had a mechanic go over the truck before you bought it.

x2. too late for that now though. it shouldn't be difficult to get the dealer to replace the cv shaft. you could probably get them the change out the air filter as well. past that, theres not much you can do so just enjoy the truck.

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately with purchasing a used vehicle, they are as is/where is unless there is a warranty on it. What they did/did not do to the vehicle prior to you purchasing it is irrelevant. I'd cut my losses and move on.

Or raise hell to the managers. Depends on what kind of relationship you want with that dealership.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Doesn't that dealership do an inspection on their vehicles? I'd ask them about that, I'd ask to see a run down of what was inspected.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All depends on how far you want to take it IMO.

Like others have said, if your mechanic said all is rather well, I wouldn't stress it and take care of the little stuff.

Little surprising the truck came from a Chrysler/ram dealership like it did though.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealers are NOT required to do inspections they usually do it out of courtesy. The only time they HAVE to is when its a "certified" used vehicle. A certified used vehicle is not usually 7 years old either.

Most used cars are as-is meaning you buy it, its yours. Now if the dealer wants your respect, and future business then out of good will they may correct the issues for you, however they are NOT required (by law or anything) to.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Most used cars are as-is meaning you buy it, its yours. Now if the dealer wants your respect, and future business then out of good will they may correct the issues for you, however they are NOT required (by law or anything) to.

not entirely true. depending on what state the OP lives in, the dealer may be required to offer a warranty on a used vehicle. its usually at least 30 days. being that hes only had the truck 2 weeks, they may be responsible to fix the cv axle.

along with that, being that this is a dodge/ram dealership, that cv axle that was supposedly recently replaced should also carry a warranty of its own. whether or not that would transfer over to a new owner i have no idea but its worth a shot.

OP
OP
R

rossiskier78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I do have a 60 day 6000k mile warranty but the list of what it covers is short. But anyways I spoke to my sales person 1st, who got me to the Sales Manager who said it will all be taken care of tomorrow when I drop it off. Told the tech who supposedly did the work had been fired about 2 wks ago and they think he may had been stealing parts. I'm just gonna get this done and move on.....

BlakDak71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well I do have a 60 day 6000k mile warranty but the list of what it covers is short. But anyways I spoke to my sales person 1st, who got me to the Sales Manager who said it will all be taken care of tomorrow when I drop it off. Told the tech who supposedly did the work had been fired about 2 wks ago and they think he may had been stealing parts. I'm just gonna get this done and move on.....

Good to hear. Hopefully they take care of you the right way! Good luck!