Need advice from Ram owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kml1281

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have always admired the Ram trucks but I have never been in one nor has my family ever owned one. I have been doing my research and have fallen in love with a used 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn with the ram boxes and air suspension. I currently drive a 2013 gmc sierra denali with the 6.2 and I love that engine but the interior is lacking for that year truck. I know this is the Ram forum so people are like why are you asking this here but I just wanted to get some honest opinions on why I should swap. I want the truck to last for many years to come. Thanks

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I alwys look at the completion when I shop around (last 4 trucks have been Rams) and IMO, you can’t beat what Ram offers for price and capability, not to mention I think they are actually the best looking, inside and out. The 6.2 alone had me looking at GM hard (cannot deny the 6.2 is a beast of an engine) but the rest of the truck was a letdown. If the Ram you’re looking at has the 8 speed/3.92 combo you won’t miss the 6.2 much if at all.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I absolutely love my 2013 Ram. The interior is still current and the uconnect infotainment system is IMO the best out there.

With that said, what trans is in the 2013 you're looking at? 2013 was the first year for the 8 speed and there were some growing pains associated with it. The 6 speed which is what I have is tried and true but no where near as exhilarating as the 8 speed.

OP
OP
K

kml1281

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does have the 8 speed transmission but the gearing is 3.21. I don't do much heavy towing so I was curious how much of a difference I would notice with that gear. I mainly want a good ride, reliability but also the ability to tow 5k lbs if needed.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
If that Longhorn has the 5.7/3.92 combo then I'd scoop it up lol.

As you said, the interior on the GM trucks has always been a little lacking. Not BAD, but, I would expect more especially in the GMC trucks. The Ram Longhorns have the best interior in the business. If you havent sat in one yet, then you will love it.

I would just make sure the truck is clean, has a good history and doesnt show any signs of abuse. Probably not going to get many on here who will argue against the Ram lol.

Edit: Just saw you said it has 3.21. Dont consider it a deal breaker by any means. The truck will still be a very solid performer. The 3.92s are just above and beyond the call of duty lol.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the 3.21/3.92 deal is over hyped. Test drove a 3.92 and didn't notice much difference. Same result from people that own both.

I love my Ram. 5 year old interior is still better than what Ford and GM are putting out IMO. Rides like a luxury car, and no serious issues. I don't have anything to complain about. My next truck will be Ram as well (even though I love the look of the new Sierra Denali's)

OP
OP
K

kml1281

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate all of the quick responses and I plan to test drive the truck this afternoon. Ill let you know what I think. Thanks again for all the help

kooler1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you buy a ram though, you always want to customize it. No matter how many bells and whistles you have. Not a money pit, but it’s like a new toy. Everyone here will tell you the same thing. Not one person here hasn’t done something cooler to the truck even though they love the stock. You start doing one thing and next thing you know, you’ve dropped $2000 on upgrades lol. It’s an addiction. It will be the last truck you ever own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you buy a ram though, you always want to customize it. No matter how many bells and whistles you have. Not a money pit, but it’s like a new toy. Everyone here will tell you the same thing. Not one person here hasn’t done something cooler to the truck even though they love the stock. You start doing one thing and next thing you know, you’ve dropped $2000 on upgrades lol. It’s an addiction. It will be the last truck you ever own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh isn't this the truth!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Op, find a model you think you might buy and drive it. Ram speaks for itself.

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's an old saying which started in the mid-90's as the Turbo Diesel Register was just beginning; "bombed" -better off modified. Lot of folks have "bombed" their trucks, myself included, on each of the 3 Rams's I've owned including my present 2017.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I'm in the minority, but I have no plans to mod my RAM. My cheap side cannot justify altering a vehicle that satisfies me at the expense of blowing a *** of dead president images. Been a cheap-o since I was in my 20's and now with 70 on the horizon I'm sure not changing!

To the OP, good luck with your shopping spree.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wanted to buy a newer GM in the worst way recently because that's what I historically buy for trucks. I went to a large used car dealer we have in the area which has a lot of 1-3 year old off-lease vehicles of all makes, figured I should see what's out there and what's new. Spent pretty much all day looking at different makes in and out, laying underneath, looking with a fine-toothed comb. I do a lot of mechanical work and body work for years, built a few street rods too, so I like to think I have a pretty good eye for the good and bad. Like others, I too felt the interiors of the GM's were lacking in quality of materials and layout (IMO), the more I looked at the styling, the more I didn't like the squared-off fenders look or the two flat boobs on the GM hood. Fords had nicer interiors by just a tick. But the Ram's interior seemed laid out nicer. I personally don't care for any of the cloth they use on any trucks these days. Just seems cheaper than what it used to use. Leather doesn't do me any good. I'd rather have an old-school 60/40 bench too, not the 40/20/40 arrangement, but those have gone away too.

Ram has nice attention to details like plastic rear box inner fender liners to help reduce rust (the GM's that were just a couple yrs old were already really rusty around the wheel wells). The frames on the Rams were cleaner where the GM's were already getting rusty! When you have a vehicle that within a couple years is becoming rusty, that's an issue to me.

Hood visibility out of the Fords and GM's was abysmal IMO and the Ram is better. I didn't care for the really tall bull-nose look of the Fords or GM's. The hoods used to be a lot lower and visibility used to be a lot better!! These companies are going the wrong direction. The GM door handles are down low, didn't care for that. The Ram box seems to be a like 2" wider due to narrower wheel wells. Ram has a pretty nice sound system, even the base system is pretty good. On the regular cab rams, there like 12-13" of space behind the seat to put tools and stuff. For a lot of guys (including me) that's enough, so I don't need to go up to a longer cab and more cargo (8' box), which is nice!

The truck I ended up settling on is a high mileage 2012 Reg cab 4x4 which I got for a sweet deal. I was actually looking to get something newer and less miles, but the doors have no play at all, it drives as tight or tighter than lower mileage trucks I drove that day ....and no rust starting unlike some of the newer GM and Fords (Ram must use a little better rust strategy??). That says something to me. Plus the 5.7 Hemi allows for heavy trailering when the time arises. I prefer the styling of the Ram over the others. Having owned a few Jeeps over the years, they've been great vehicles for us.

In the couple months of ownership I haven't questioned buying it one bit. Some of the maintenance things are well laid out (easy access to filters and drain plug). It's a treat to drive. Not one squeak, rattle, hiss or burp, and it's got over 100k mi. Looks nice, I don't abuse it. At the same time, if some prepubescent diesel dude thinks his Ebay-chipped so called "torque monster" is going to pull a fast one on me, it ain't going to happen, not in THIS truck! This thing will rare back on it's haunches and charge like crazy if you let it. I'm getting about 17.5 mpg (averaged) with it driving it gingerly, which is a little less than I was expecting.

Anyway, hope it helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kml1281

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I test drove the truck this afternoon and I really loved it but this one wasn't in the best shape. It did not appear well cared for and so I passed. However, I am on the search for another Longhorn. Thanks again

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
So I test drove the truck this afternoon and I really loved it but this one wasn't in the best shape. It did not appear well cared for and so I passed. However, I am on the search for another Longhorn. Thanks again

Now if that one was beat up and it still made you want a Ram thats a good sign :)

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Keep an eye out for another one with Ramboxes...you'll love 'em! The extra storage is great.

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my second Ram today. I settled on a 2017 Bighorn, I really wanted the Rebel but couldn't justify the additional cost. There are 2 things that made me want another Ram. First, the ride is amazing. I drive over 25,000 miles a year, and I don't want to feel beat to death at the end of the day. Second is the price. As far as value goes, good luck finding a better buy. My trucks MSRP was $49210 my out of the door price was $32541. At that price I cant afford to buy anything else.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I have always admired the Ram trucks but I have never been in one nor has my family ever owned one. I have been doing my research and have fallen in love with a used 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn with the ram boxes and air suspension. I currently drive a 2013 gmc sierra denali with the 6.2 and I love that engine but the interior is lacking for that year truck. I know this is the Ram forum so people are like why are you asking this here but I just wanted to get some honest opinions on why I should swap. I want the truck to last for many years to come. Thanks

I was a life long chevy guy, and had multiple sierras from 07-13.... my last one being a loaded 6.2 sierra that i had lifted and built up. i grew sick and tired of the dated interior and small chevy issues..... made the jump to a new 17 ram sport last spring and haven't missed my GM an ounce yet. This new Ram is hands down a better performer in just about all aspects. It also looks a heck of a lot better both inside and out, the performance is awesome, and the mileage is top notch with the 8 spd and 3.92 gearing. I was able to get my Ram on a large discount sale, I got my fully loaded sport far cheaper then I could have got the GM base model.... it was a no brainer for me and I haven't looked back since. I say if you like it, go for it, there have been a lot of members here this year alone switch from GM to Ram, and are very happy they did.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I should also add that the value for your dollar aspect on a ram, or at least when buying new on a deal, is insane. I couldn't afford to not by the ram based on this fact.... the package i got for the price i paid was easily 10k cheaper then any other brand on comparable sale. You get a lot with these trucks for a very reasonable price

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2014 ram with the 8 speed and 3.92 gears....really liked it

I now have a 2017 ram with the same 8 speed and 3.21 gears....

Overall, there is not very much difference....I do get 20+mpg and performance it good. I don't tow much other than a utility trailer. Yesterday, I towed a 30 foot float in a halloween parade with 60 people on it, and there was absolutely no issue.

I do think it gears down on hills more so than the 3.92 gears, but it is a triple overdrive so that has to be expected....should be a-ok