Need to make a decision.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need to make a decision. Bed space issue

Maybe you all can help me out. Need to make a decision here. I have an 11 ram quad 4x4 with a 4.7. My wife is now pregnant with twins. And we have one here already. So that's three kids now. Im debating on trading into a crew cab. My issue is bed space. I use my bed often. My 6.3 bed comes up short very often. ( like hauling dirt bikes to mountain). So Im going to lose more bed space. Dunno what i should do. Im looking for an all in one truck. Dont have the money for a 2500. And i want to upgrade to a hemi. Main concern is interior room and hauling two dirtbikes. I want to be able to close tailgate for security of items but i know that's out of the question cause i can't even do that with my quad.

Any opinions on the short bed length from people who use it often? Dirtbike experience major plus.

What do you all think? Move into a crew and live with the shorter bed? Or stick with what i have? Ford f150 with crew cab and 6.5 bed would be my route but i can get into a ram cheaper. Was also looking into Dakota crew for inexpensive reasons but than ill lose even more bed space. What do you think about that option?

As long as i can haul two dirtbikes and pull a trailer is what i want. But need room for family as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Xparent Green Tapatalk

Last edited:

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Run the numbers on a 2012 Quad with the Hemi. Your quad should be enough room for twins in carseats and you won't have to sacrifice your bed space.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well how much time are you going to have for hauling the dirt bikes with what will be 3 kids? Family is most important and if you like the Ram, get the crew cab. You can always find other ways of hauling the bikes. I'm not sure if you can get the longer bed in the crew cab, otherwise that may be an option as well.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run the numbers on a 2012 Quad with the Hemi. Your quad should be enough room for twins in carseats and you won't have to sacrifice your bed space.

They will fit ok now with two in car seats and the older in the middle in a booster. But i bought my truck hoping to be the last new truck i buy. So my next truck will be the last one i buy. So Im looking into future as well. When the kids are bigger

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well how much time are you going to have for hauling the dirt bikes with what will be 3 kids? Family is most important and if you like the Ram, get the crew cab. You can always find other ways of hauling the bikes. I'm not sure if you can get the longer bed in the crew cab, otherwise that may be an option as well.

Doesn't matter if i go up once every six months or every Saturday and Sunday. Ill still be going and the bikes still need to fit. In a couple years my kids will be there with me. My family is outdoors type so when Im not riding were packing up to go camping or something else. Im not planning on using a trailer every time i need to haul something. I bought a truck for a reason. I also haul alot more than just bikes. Runs to parts stores, hauling wood, tools, bunch of stuff. I use my truck alot.

I don't feel i have to trade into a car or van because Im having three kids when i could still have a truck i consistently use and room for family

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious if some people who have a crew found that the bed is too small sometimes. And would of preferred the extra bed space. Is the legroom worth it?

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They will fit ok now with two in car seats and the older in the middle in a booster. But i bought my truck hoping to be the last new truck i buy. So my next truck will be the last one i buy. So Im looking into future as well

Maybe try to get by with this truck for another year or two then trade it in on a 2500 near the end of a model year. I know you said you couldn't afford the 2500 but maybe after a trade in down the road when you're not upside down then you could have a big truck with the hemi, the crew cab, and the longer bed. Best of both worlds.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe try to get by with this truck for another year or two then trade it in on a 2500 near the end of a model year. I know you said you couldn't afford the 2500 but maybe after a trade in down the road when you're not upside down then you could have a big truck with the hemi, the crew cab, and the longer bed. Best of both worlds.

That's was another thought i had as well. Just waiting longer. That was the plan actually but i got a pretty significant trade in offer for my truck at the local dealer. So Im considering now or later.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Kind of funny I'm a twin and have an older brother now
My dad was looking at new crew cabs since we do still go places as a family
I convinced him to get a quad cab because of our dirtbikes
I've seen peoples tailgates rattle off with dirtbikes on the gate multiple times on the dirt road to my local race tack so I'm very against doing it among other reasons
My quad on the tailgate makes me even more nervous

I say stick with the quad cab, get situated and see how you like it

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kind of funny I'm a twin and have an older brother now
My dad was looking at new crew cabs since we do still go places as a family
I convinced him to get a quad cab because of our dirtbikes
I've seen peoples tailgates rattle off with dirtbikes on the gate multiple times on the dirt road to my local race tack so I'm very against doing it among other reasons
My quad on the tailgate makes me even more nervous

I say stick with the quad cab, get situated and see how you like it

That is pretty funny. Knowing that you understand my problem from both sides i appreciate your opinion.

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
I have the 2010 crew cab with the short bed. Bed length sucks!! I wish I had a longer bed.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What about getting a 2500 crew with hemi and 6.5 bed as I believe in 2500 you can still get that combo even though you cannot in 1500. I you find one slightly used the hemi 2500 as not worth as much making it cheaper for you to pick up.

$miley

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I don't have a family, but I do haul a lot in my bed and the full bed is nice. When people need to ride in the back, I hate that they have to cram to do it, but you can't have the best of both worlds with a 1500. For you it really sounds like a 2500 crew with the Hemi would be the perfect truck, even if that means waiting a little while longer.

OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2010 Quad cab and 3 kids. We have plenty of room and I have a big bed which I need.

my fear is how small it is back there in the future. I know Im a big guy and there only children now. But they get big quick and three makes it tighter then two. Good to know our doing ok with it. How old are they if i may ask.

I have the 2010 crew cab with the short bed. Bed length sucks!! I wish I had a longer bed.

See there is my problem losing that bed space just for leg room. Im starting to feel happy i did go with the quad and that i should stay with it with three children. I guess i can just trade it in in six years when there really cramped and the trucks paid off haha. I mean its not like its a little extended cab ranger. There is room back there. Just wish i got the hemi from the start.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My twin is small but Im 5'8" and my brothers 6'1" and we fit in the back well, its tight but I wouldnt say its uncomfortable

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Oh and I guess it would be a 6'4" box but still would be perfect for needs and pretty good price.
Like this.
aefd87be-2cd5-708d.jpg

http://corwinauto.com/certified-pre-owned-vehicles.php

$miley

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickxxxr

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problem is only reason Im thinking of doing it now is with the offer i got. Im gonna stop down and talk to dealer about it. If i can get into a 2500 for same monthly payment Im sold but that not exactly gonna happen. If i can't make it work with this trade in offer Im not going to do it ill just wait a couple years. Ill see what the dealer has

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the bed is small but it is easier to to work around the shorter bedspace than it is to make up interior space. Would you rather put your dirtbikes on a trailer or mount a car seat in the extra bedspace? Just get a crew cab and a trailer. You'll need a trailer when you get the new 4 passenger razr :)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I would get what works best with your kids. You could always get a trailer for the bikes or keep the tailgate down