New 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kennyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm in the final steps of buying a new 2017 Ram 1500 Crew with the Hemi 5.7. Just trying to get an opinion from actual owners on the reliability and dependability of the new trucks. Thanks in advance.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 14 Sport for about 2 years and now a 17 for a few months and have had no issues with either. Both had the 8spd and hemi. Of course, there are lemons in every make and model ever produced but they are few and far between.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 14 crew cab with 34k miles. In 3 years, I had a bad wheel bearing, a faulty oil pressure sensor and a bad key fob. All of these happened in the last 6k miles. All covered under warranty.

Nothing major as you see.

OP
OP
K

Kennyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That makes me feel better. I ran into a guy today at the job site and he was saying they have lots of weird electrical problems blah blah

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 here, only issue was a loose oil filter. Had the truck 17 months, 17,000 miles, and it is otherwise perfect. Drives like the day I drove it home. Fourth Ram in the last 20 years, and I've had (and have) many other Dodge and Chrysler cars and trucks, and this truck is absolutely the best.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any bias I might have aside, I honestly think Ram has set the bar with their latest trucks.
They are the best built trucks on the market right now in my opinion.
Quality has significantly improved over previous model years. Fit and finish is excellent as well.

I bought my 2014 Outdoorsman brand new in January of 2014.
I've driven it back and forth to work in the city, towed through the mountains, done some light offroading, and driven it clear across the country.
It still runs and drives like brand new.
Not so much as a squeak or a rattle.

I've had one issue I'd consider significant which was leaking front struts at only about 18,000km.
Dealer replaced them under warranty and I haven't had a problem since.

Only other issue was with my doors occasionally not unlocking with the key fob.
I reset a few settings in my Uconnect menu and haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm just under 80K miles on my 2014 Ram Express which I purchased used last year. From the day I bought it, most of it's duty has be trailer towing on mountain roads. Last week I hauled a car to my Brother in FL, a 500 mile trip. The Ram cruised at 70 mph effortlessly with the load in tow. Gas mileage was 16-17 mpg on the trip down and that is amazing considering we had the truck packed with vacation stuff, plus hauling a car on a 20 foot trailer and doing 70 mph the whole way. Unloaded it gets 20 around town, 22 on the hwy.
The only real criticism I have of the truck is that it was ordered with cloth seats. They suck; most everyone here agrees on that note. If you are buying new, get the leather or get the Katskinz leather aftermarket is actually cheaper and better quality than the OEM leather interior.

Don't know if you have made a deal yet but I highly recommend a service like TrueCar.com

My dad decided he would like a pickup similar to mine except he just wanted a 2wd one. Dealers in that part of Florida wanted 8 to 10K more than the 33K it should have cost. NONE of them were TrueCar members so they basically charged whatever they wanted. Pretty crooked if you ask me. :deal:

tsielski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought my 2017 in mid November, and now have over 10,000 miles. Drives and runs like the day I brought it home. No issues whatsoever. This is my third Ram. First two were diesels; a 1995 2500 and a 2011 3500. The 95 had a few issues with the front brakes, and the dreaded death wobble which can plague solid axle 4x4 trucks, that cropped up at around 50K miles. Isolated and fixed the DW myself. Otherwise it was dead nuts reliable. The '11 was a much more refined truck, better in every way than the '95. No issues with it either. In the 1500 now because I no longer needed the grunt of the diesel, and it is significantly more refined than the '11.
I'm also very satisfied with the 20 to 21 mpg highway mileage of the 2017, and thats with 3.92 gears.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had a 05 Ram, 06 Ram, 06 Silverado, 06 Dakota and now a 17 Ram. Easily my 17 Ram is my favorite, absolutely love the truck. Probably would take care of it better than my own kid if I had one. Not sure what my deal with 06's was..

Only issue I've had was the rear shock blew out and leaked oil at 800 miles. Was likely just messed up from the factory as I never did off roading or anything. Oh and a couple of my plastics on the door weren't all the way clipped in. For some reason I find them difficult to put them back in and have the fear of scratching it so I just made the dealer do it.

Last edited:

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2017 Ram 1500 Bighorn last Saturday....sixth ram.
Had 2 2500's and 3 1500's before this one.

My 2000 1500 blew a tranny at 17,000 miles...fixed under warranty and never another problem
My 2015 2500 had an A/C whistle....fixed under warranty

Other wise, it was oil changes, tires and brakes. Dependability is the key word here....

I really wanted a new Silverado, just because I like the looks....but, I went with another Ram because I like the dependability

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
17 with pentastar and 8sp.. 10k mile so far so good

Last edited: