New 700bhp Shelby Raptor = Where the hell is my Hellcat Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TDevil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If they can do this to last years Raptor (making only 50 of them) just makes me want a Hellcat Ram even more.

But it also raises an interesting question:
Would you want a Hellcat Ram in a Raptor-esque tone, i.e. more offroad / lifted / 4x4?

or

Would you want a Hellcat Ram more in line with the old Ford Lightning, reg cab 2wd all speed / track?

I'd want the former, essentially my current QC 4x4 with maybe 2" lift and the hellcat under the hood.

Thoughts?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Seems like the Hellcat Jeep is coming first and foremost.

If they do the Ram, I question whether it will be a single cab RWD like the Lightning and SRT-10. It would be cool, and for those of us that are just going to throw slicks on to have fun, it's perfect, but I think dodge will be more likely to put out some sort of 4x4 version based on the Jeep setup. They need some way to put the power down.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crew Cab 4x4 lil drop nothing crazy obviously more sporty looking like they had the body cladding on the SRT-10 Ram's!

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Like always, it isn't Ford putting these out, it's Shelby, and in truth, I could drop a long travel suspension into my truck that would rival that truck and I wouldn't be in for another $45K either. And to answer the question, I'd gladly take either of them. I love my street truck but my next build is going to be a pre-runner type with a basic blower package.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Just 50 will be made, with prices start at $45,000. That doesn't, however, include the base Raptor."

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the idea of a hell cat in the Ram, but honestly I don't think its a viable product for Ram. they already have a big shortage in parts and can meet the demand on the challenger and charger, and i dont think that FCA want to skimp on quality of producing the blowers.

the SRT10 tho a great product never sold that well, because it was a niche street truck. The raptor took a totally different approach and went offroad /prerunner style and did to that truck want most people wanted to do anyway, i.e. strong motor and lift that's why it became much more successful, around here when theirs a ford truck gathering the raptors are 3 times more than the normal F-150's.

what would be great and IMO a logical step is an SRT Ram with the 475HP 6.4 motor - when ram made the Rebel they should've just done that put the 6.4 in a 1500 body with all the added parts.
you get the power, look and function all in one package!

they could also do a reg cab SRT ram - they really just have to put the 6.4 in the R/T and add bigger brakes. kinda hoping for that in 2016/17 when i'll be replacing my '12 crew cab.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
what would be great and IMO a logical step is an SRT Ram with the 475HP 6.4 motor - when ram made the Rebel they should've just done that put the 6.4 in a 1500 body with all the added parts.
you get the power, look and function all in one package!

Yes, that would be sic, then get a blower. BOOM,, *** your hellcat!!! haha

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Like always, it isn't Ford putting these out, it's Shelby, and in truth, I could drop a long travel suspension into my truck that would rival that truck and I wouldn't be in for another $45K either. And to answer the question, I'd gladly take either of them. I love my street truck but my next build is going to be a pre-runner type with a basic blower package.

Minus the blower that's my goal.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Actually, it is a lot worse than the 5.7L. Talking with AJ when he was up here he says he has to be super conservative because the pistons have a thinner top ring land compared to the 5.7L. Have a search on the LX forums about boosting a 6.4L with stock pistons and keeping the SRV intake manifold, nothing but disaster unless you swap pistons and ideally run a 6.1L intake manifold. At 900hp you'd need new rods anyways so you'd be in for a rotating assembly at least.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The other big factor is the compression ratio. The 6.4L is a 10.9:1 compared to the 10.5:1 in the 5.7L.

That said, drop in rods and pistons are all of like $800 for pistons and $800 for rods.

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be happy to just find a way to bulletproof my Ram I have now to handle boost, without rebuilding Trans every month, among other shortcomings.
I find it crappy Ford and GM vehicles can handle a pretty stout increase in HP/TORQUE without coming unglued at seams. I'm not crying cause my Ram is sexier but all the same, it's a shame were just about at the max capability off the assembly line stock.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see it happening period. Ram is already in the talks of doing away with the Hemi/hellcat by 2019.

Doesn't make sense to put that much money/time investing in a platform with only a few years left.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A Hellcat Ram would be a legendary vehicle along the lines of a Superbird.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Plain and simple a RWD truck can't put that power down. Not on the street. Since they aren't about to develop an AWD truck (not 4x4, there's a difference) then I doubt it'll happen.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I agree. I only see this being a good option if it was AWD. I'd buy 1 in a heartbeat if they offered it in an AWD version.