New and havea question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntert39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if this is the correct thread to post about an issue with my truck, if it isn't then where do I need to go?

If it is then.... My 2010 Ram 1500 has about 180k miles and a couple of months ago it started having intermittent issues with dying while I was driving and would have difficulty starting this persisted and then one day all the dashboard lights came on and when I tried power cycling the start issues came up again. Replaced the battery, same issues. Tried spare fob, same. One day I started it before work and sat and watched it. Ran fine until I tapped the key and the truck died. So I believe it to be some issue with the ignition. I couldn't get it to a dealership or shot because all of this happened within days of me deploying, which I currently still am and the truck is just sitting back home in the driveway. I finally decided to post because it has been eating away at me while over here. Has anyone come across similar issues and have any guidance whatsoever?

-Hunter

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say ignition as well. My dad has a Colorado that did similar things. Replaced ignition and all the above went away. Maybe even check fuses and wiring

OP
OP
H

huntert39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Much appreciated, it'll be a couple of months before I'm back home and can work on it. I just want to get a good starting point.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks for your service hunter. Your huge sacrifice helps to allow us to live free. God's speed.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
which trim do you have? do you use the fob to start it or just a metal key?

if the entire fob you will probably need a new win module and fobs.

OP
OP
H

huntert39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GsRAM, thank you for the support.

baum, I use the fob to start it, metal key only opens the tailgate and doors, though it sets off the alarm when it opens the doors. It also has remote start which works just fine, but when I insert the fob and turn it to run it typically dies. So I think you're right about the WIN module. Probably replace the fobs just for good measure. I'll need to check this out and see what the cost will look like.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might be wrong, but most of them that i saw online came with the fobs.

However more than likely you will need some sort of dealer programming so you will get f'ed that way.

OP
OP
H

huntert39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The few time's I've been able to find similar issues on forums people have brought up the WIN module as well as the dealer programming so I'm expecting to have to bend over for that. I appreciate the guidance.

OP
OP
H

huntert39

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did see a recall on those, though, it was on being able to pull the key while driving or something and not on the fact your truck can die while driving because it loses connection. Seem bassackards to me but whatever.