New here.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to the 4th gen forum. Picking up my 2017 Bighorn today and wondering where I should start with accessories. The no-brainers for me are...

Spray in bed liner.
Tonneau cover.
Mud flaps.
Bug shield.
Window vents.

We're up north so winter can be tough on trucks. Recommendations and advice on how to protect this investment are welcome.

PS Thoughts on wheel well flares like these??? Stampede Ruff Riderz Fender Flares - Stampede Rough Rider Fender Flares

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's up, and welcome! Dee zee tailgate assist, shorty antenna, catch can, window tint, pedal commander seems to be pretty popular. Theres a good thread on here for mods under $100, check it out for some more ideas. And surely other guys will chime in. Unless you're planning on bigger wheels/tires, I don't think big pocket style flares look good with stock set up.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Spray the underneath of it with Fluid Film or something like it.

Winter is coming.

OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the notes and the heads up on 52 pages of mods under $100. Good read.

Vent shades, bug shield and mud flaps are ordered. Appt made for liner. Will research the fluid film idea.

Could really use some recommendations on running boards. I want to go with boards, not bars. Anyone have ideas and maybe pics. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20171004_133550.jpg
    20171004_133550.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
New to the 4th gen forum. Picking up my 2017 Bighorn today and wondering where I should start with accessories. The no-brainers for me are...

Spray in bed liner.
Tonneau cover.
Mud flaps.
Bug shield.
Window vents.

We're up north so winter can be tough on trucks. Recommendations and advice on how to protect this investment are welcome.

PS Thoughts on wheel well flares like these??? Stampede Ruff Riderz Fender Flares - Stampede Rough Rider Fender Flares

Welcome! I just got my 2017 Big horn on Saturday, freaking love it! So comfortable.

For me I HAD TO get 4 inch nerf bars, they are Lund brand and they help out so much getting in the truck. I'm short, 5'7, so I needed this. Funny thing was that the shop I went to there were 2 other guys around 6 foot tall BOTH getting bars installed too lol.

I didn't get the navigation, i'm using my iphone instead.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spray the underneath of it with Fluid Film or something like it.

Winter is coming.
I've seen fluid film refered to a lot and thought it was just an undercoating. Googled it and found they have a number of different products that all sound interesting. Is there any one place you can either get or order a variety of they're products? How much fluid film would it take to do a 1500 CC?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

phantomfan35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put Ionic Automotive 51 series 6” running boards on a week ago. Love em so far. Took me a couple of hours in my garage with basic hand tools. Plenty of step pad and similar to the OEM step look (if ur going for that).
cc4c544687dd07bbfe08480b82d0a52a.jpg
4687f8a7a0a46fdf7a757b58874450fc.jpg

-Dan
2017 Laramie 1500 Crew 4x2 Hemi

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

Spray in bed liner.
Tonneau cover.
Mud flaps.
Bug shield.
Window vents.

Welcome from a neighbor not too far to your west!

You forgot all terrains, or a separate set of winter wheels/tires. The factory tires won't do well in anything more than a tiny coating of snow, trust me. Then again, maybe I'm just used to awesome anti-snow tires, so the factory ones suck compared to what I'm used too...
:happy107:

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Here's the 4 inch Lund bars I had installed. I would have done it myself, but my left knee and bad back don't like me anymore. I got all black because honestly this truck will be dirty in a few days, and it will stay that way. Arizona is the worst place to try and keep a vehicle clean lol. This was a HUGE improvement! Love it!

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
David H

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont forget the catch can for max hp... ;)

A lot of mention on the catch can. Is this for real on a Hemi? How about the warranty? Any issues there?

Thanks for the photos. I like the look of the bars better but want the rocker protection of the boards...little as that may be.

As for winter tires, good advice but I've been driving my 1 wheel drive 98 Ram for 19 years. Finally having 4wd will be a huge improvement.:happy107:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of mention on the catch can. Is this for real on a Hemi? How about the warranty? Any issues there?

Thanks for the photos. I like the look of the bars better but want the rocker protection of the boards...little as that may be.

As for winter tires, good advice but I've been driving my 1 wheel drive 98 Ram for 19 years. Finally having 4wd will be a huge improvement.:happy107:
I got my catch can from Moe's performance. Billet tech. Really a plug and play deal, no fabrication or modifications needed. I saved the original line just in case I would have any engine warranty problems, remove catch can reinstall original line, wala, never been touched.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Yup, catch can is the real thing. You wouldn't believe the gunk going back into the engine through that tube, catch can takes care of most of it.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome! Must have purchased that from Jeff Belzer's in Lakeville! I'm from about 30 mins south of there.

I have a Billet Catch Can from Moe's too. Had one on my 2014 Durango R/T...lots of crap comes out of the Hemi. Install was nothing (youtube video) and easy to take out if needed.

Welcome aboard!