New member, soon to be owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tgbraley

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
Greetings,
I joined this site just now, as I am hoping to be a Ram owner shortly.
I'm shopping for a used Ram truck, and would appreciate any advice or tips the members on this site would be so kind as to share.
Are there any particular issues I need to look for when checking out a Ram truck before a purchase offer, anything particular to the Ram truck?
I'm new to Ram trucks, but have been a Mopar fan and owner since the late 70's, so not new to the Mopar world.

I have found a couple of 2012 Flame Red 4x4 quad cab trucks in my area I plan on checking out.

One has 93xxx miles for $19k, trailer brake controller w/tow , and 2 accidents reported on the Carfax; the other has 38xxx miles, $25k, w/tow, no controller, one owner and a clean Carfax.
Otherwise, the 2 are identically equipped. Both have the 5.7L Hemi MDS VVT.

Any hint or tips would be greately appreciated!

Thanks
Tim

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If it were my choice I'd spend the additional money to get the lower mileage, accident free truck.

HDMontana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome and I agree with Maddog.

HD

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agreed, all else equal, I'd spring for the lower mileage truck for only 6k more. That's a big difference to me. Good luck

warbat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC 4wd
Engine
What do you plan to use the truck for?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
welcome, if you have the dollars, find a 13 with the 8 speed trans. if not, make sure you have at least 3:55 rear gear ratio with the six speed. 3:92 would be better.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What part of the country are you in? 2012 with almost 100K with TWO accidents for 19K? Come on. The 38K mile one is not exactly a deal either.

Personally I wouldn't spend 20+ grand on something that's already out of warranty, or close to it. 38K miles is great but things with low mileage still break, and it's 5 years old, so Chrysler won't do anything about it.

The trim of these trucks is definitely a major factor too. If those are regular trim express or SLT trucks, those prices are more than even the fantasy-land KBB prices. Keep looking.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can get a brand new 2500 slt for 30k. Friend of mine just did.

Don't limit yourself. Do some more searching.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In 2015 I bought a 2014 Tradesman QC ST. It's your basic truck but came with the 20 inch chrome clad rims so from the outside it looks the same as higher $$$ trim levels.
It had 57,*** miles, clean car fax, 4x4, 5.7 and a sticker price of $22,000, got them down to $19,000 after tax, title, etc. I figured it was a decent deal. I think you can keep searching and find something better. It took me a while to find anything with a sticker less than $25,000.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Those prices seem quite high, When I bought my 1500 I paid a tad over 19K for it with 30K miles, and my 5500 with 45K miles on it was a tad over 42K.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Yea, I sort of agree, I thought the prices were a bit high. I'd be patient and learn the market.

Heck, I got my 2016 Laramie crew cab with the convenience package for 36,600K. (27% off sticker). That was with no trade in and taxes and registration was additional. Also, it is the 3.6 L. If you don't do heavy hauling, you might want to look at 3.6L. Not nearly as much as in demand as the 8 Cylinder Hemi. There still may be some floating around. I flew 800 miles to get mine and drove it home. Dealer paid for airline ticket and picked me up at the airport. Dealership was 10 minutes away. Deal went off without a hitch. I'd do it again.

I don't know the market like I did when I was shopping around (I spent about 6 months looking). I used Cars.com to search around. They have a great search engine that allows you to really narrow down the trim levels and options, used or new. Good luck. I've only had this truck for 4 or so months and I'm really liking it. My last vehicle was an 2006 Cadillac STS AWD. My Ram is way more comfortable. No comparison whatsoever!

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Greetings,
I joined this site just now, as I am hoping to be a Ram owner shortly.
I'm shopping for a used Ram truck, and would appreciate any advice or tips the members on this site would be so kind as to share.
Are there any particular issues I need to look for when checking out a Ram truck before a purchase offer, anything particular to the Ram truck?
I'm new to Ram trucks, but have been a Mopar fan and owner since the late 70's, so not new to the Mopar world.

I have found a couple of 2012 Flame Red 4x4 quad cab trucks in my area I plan on checking out.

One has 93xxx miles for $19k, trailer brake controller w/tow , and 2 accidents reported on the Carfax; the other has 38xxx miles, $25k, w/tow, no controller, one owner and a clean Carfax.
Otherwise, the 2 are identically equipped. Both have the 5.7L Hemi MDS VVT.

Any hint or tips would be greately appreciated!

Thanks
Tim

Just as a reference, here is a quad cab, 4x4 with Hemi $26,670

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690359855/overview/

Here is a quad cab for $24,000.. brand spanking new 4x2, 3.6L

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/674697477/overview/

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tgbraley

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
I appreciate the responses and advice. Been looking for about 2 months. I'm in the middle Tennessee/Nashville area. Good deals on trucks are slim pickens around here. Anything less than 16-19k is ready to fall apart and dripping all it's fluids. Really wanted a Dakota, but they are very rare in any decent shape.
After thinking on it, the lower miles is the one I'm going to make an offer on. Stopped by to look at it after work today. It's in very good condition, interior needs detailed, but other than that it nice. It's a 2012 5.7 4x4 quad cab Red Wings edition. At least according to the vin report I pulled. There are no red wings decals or badging anywhere on the truck. Wonder if it's a factory defect or the PO removed all of it. From what I can find, the headrests would have had the RW logo stitched, but there's no sign of it. The decals on the bed I can see being easily removed. As far as warranty, yes the 5/100 just ran out on this one, but I have a contact at a Chrysler dealership that can get me a Mopar backed warranty for a decent price, so may go that route.
A brand new Ram is out of my budget, as is traveling to get one. I have a vehicle to trade, so flying across country might not work with a trade in as my carry on..lol.
As far as use for the truck, recently bought a house, and need to do some hauling, yard clean up, landscaping. Some buddies I work with also like to go mudding some, so that'll give the 4x4 a workout a few times a year. Plus I like having a 4WD in case the weather turns slippery. I have family in WV I visit during the holidays, and having a 4WD would help if the weather gets snowy around T-day or Xmas.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate the responses and advice. Been looking for about 2 months. I'm in the middle Tennessee/Nashville area. Good deals on trucks are slim pickens around here. Anything less than 16-19k is ready to fall apart and dripping all it's fluids. Really wanted a Dakota, but they are very rare in any decent shape.
After thinking on it, the lower miles is the one I'm going to make an offer on. Stopped by to look at it after work today. It's in very good condition, interior needs detailed, but other than that it nice. It's a 2012 5.7 4x4 quad cab Red Wings edition. At least according to the vin report I pulled. There are no red wings decals or badging anywhere on the truck. Wonder if it's a factory defect or the PO removed all of it. From what I can find, the headrests would have had the RW logo stitched, but there's no sign of it. The decals on the bed I can see being easily removed. As far as warranty, yes the 5/100 just ran out on this one, but I have a contact at a Chrysler dealership that can get me a Mopar backed warranty for a decent price, so may go that route.
A brand new Ram is out of my budget, as is traveling to get one. I have a vehicle to trade, so flying across country might not work with a trade in as my carry on..lol.
As far as use for the truck, recently bought a house, and need to do some hauling, yard clean up, landscaping. Some buddies I work with also like to go mudding some, so that'll give the 4x4 a workout a few times a year. Plus I like having a 4WD in case the weather turns slippery. I have family in WV I visit during the holidays, and having a 4WD would help if the weather gets snowy around T-day or Xmas.

Hey man, not for nothing, these forums are a community and I don't think anyone here is going to try to steer you wrong.

I had to look up what a "red wings edition" is. Same hokey crap they pull up here with patriots and stuff. It's just an Express, and 25K is too much for a 2012 Express. Enough said.

Having a friend at the dealer isn't going to help much unless he's willing to sell you a Chrysler warranty at cost; which a 5 year (can't do unlimited on a truck that old) is still 2 grand on top of what you pay for the truck.

within 250 miles of Nashville:

2016 4x4 SLT with a V6 Pentastar, 27K miles, 24.5K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690166465/overview/

2013 4x4 Express with Hemi, 27K miles, 24.8K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/685397096/overview/

2016 4x4 SLT with Hemi, 25K miles, 25K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/688600460/overview/

2016 4x4 SLT with Hemi, 25K miles, 25K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/690522402/overview/

2015 4x4 Express with Hemi, 30K miles, 25K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/683188715/overview/

2015 4x4 SLT with Hemi, 45K miles, 24.9K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/694314165/overview/

Keep looking. Spend a saturday in the car to go pick something up. The investment of time will get you a newer and better truck for the money. If you like that "red wings" edition, offer them them the 20K it's worth and walk out; you just may get it for that.

Ledawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What part of the country are you in? 2012 with almost 100K with TWO accidents for 19K? Come on. The 38K mile one is not exactly a deal either.

Personally I wouldn't spend 20+ grand on something that's already out of warranty, or close to it. 38K miles is great but things with low mileage still break, and it's 5 years old, so Chrysler won't do anything about it.

The trim of these trucks is definitely a major factor too. If those are regular trim express or SLT trucks, those prices are more than even the fantasy-land KBB prices. Keep looking.

I gues. You haven't liked at truck prices lately! That's what they are going for here in central Indiana. I would go for the low mileage truck as well.

cbooher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
drove 2 hours to get mine a few weeks ago. 2015 4x4 5.7L crew cab with 20k miles for $26k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I agree with others that think those prices are too much for the truck you'd get. Here are some of my thoughts that some will not agree with and others will. First, and it is only my opinion, but I think the quad cab trucks are kind of a "tweener" and really pointless. A bit bigger than an extra can truck to throw some boxes in the rear seat but next to workthless to carry any humans bigger than an 8 year old.

Also, I cringe when people will look for a truck and are willing to spend $25K on a five year old truck with nearly 40K miles on it. Then tell us they can travel to purchase a better truck. Well, what do you mean you can't travel to find a better deal on a truck.

Not trying to be a jerk but please tell my why it makes more sense to purchase the 5 year old truck with 38k on the odo for $25k over this truck you'd have to travel to get.

New 2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman/Express For Sale in Caldwell Near Boise, Nampa, ID | Vin:1C6RR7FT5HS594406

IMO, you pay a little more for the security of getting a new truck with warranty, in better condition and no unknown issues/problems.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Closer you get to Detroit the cheaper used trucks get. The difference in prices from even Columbus to Toledo is phenomenal.

When I bought mine I sold my old truck outright to a dealer in Columbus to get more for my old truck, then rented a car one way and drove north to pick up the new one. Saved quite a few thousand dollars on the deal.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gues. You haven't liked at truck prices lately! That's what they are going for here in central Indiana. I would go for the low mileage truck as well.

Did you even look at the post above yours? A simple 5 minute search and I could post 6 better examples in his search area.

Honestly, I have looked at truck prices lately, in New England, which is a significantly more pricey area than central Indiana. Just like Nashville vs. Boston, if deals are here, they are there as well.

If you're not finding deals you're not looking hard enough or you're not willing to expand your search area by a couple hour drive to get WAY more for your money or a better/newer truck under warranty for the same price.

A little investment of time pays dividends, but we can only lead horses to water.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Closer you get to Detroit the cheaper used trucks get. The difference in prices from even Columbus to Toledo is phenomenal.

When I bought mine I sold my old truck outright to a dealer in Columbus to get more for my old truck, then rented a car one way and drove north to pick up the new one. Saved quite a few thousand dollars on the deal.

I 2nd this statement for you guys close enough to drive to the Detroit area. I drove 3 hours to Troy MI because it was the best deal by a few grand.