New noise...please help me find it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK so i fixed one noise (see my other post) but now i have new noise. It is a "tink tink tink" noise that when i am on uneven roads going over bumps. Sounds like its coming from the passenger door dash area but i cannot get it to do it by banging/pushing on any panels. i was thinking sway bar so i crawled underneath and had someone shake the truck while i held the sway bar and it felt tight and I heard no noises. My truck is stock 2012 Express 4x4 crew cab. I haven't done anything to it except for floor mats and upper glove box install (which I checked everything on). I have also taken everything out of the glovebox/rear storage bins to make sure it wasn't anything in there and I still get the noise. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the exact same noise on the same side on my 08, lower ball joint was bad. Had to replace entire lower control arm.

baff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
I've had a similar noise in a car few years back, was a thick speaker cable knocking on the inside of a panel.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
seatbelt maybe ? I know mine makes a slight noise on bumpy roads

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the exact same noise on the same side on my 08, lower ball joint was bad. Had to replace entire lower control arm.

Anyway to check that before I take it to the dealer?

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
seatbelt maybe ? I know mine makes a slight noise on bumpy roads

I thought that too but it seems more metal on metal if that makes sense

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a similar noise in a car few years back, was a thick speaker cable knocking on the inside of a panel.

Thinking of taking the door panel off to check that too

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyway to check that before I take it to the dealer?

I'm not really sure. I had most of my front end replaced late last year. This noise was the last of the noises to be fixed, we weren't really sure what was causing it. Took it to the body shop and they discovered it was the ball joint. I think it had a good amount of play in it.

OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think i may have found it. Fingers crossed. I'll know on my ride to work tomorrow and if it I did I'll post an update here

Last edited:
OP
OP
trmat79

trmat79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK well here is the update. No noise this morning driving to work on the same roads where it was making the noise last night. So what did I do you may ask? Well I pulled out the passenger side A-pillar (two small screws) and found a wire bundle and washer back there that seemed to be causing the noise. I put tape on the washer and zip tied the wiring bundle to the body and put the A-pillar back. Like I said no noise this morning and I am hoping that it stays quiet. Hope this helps someone else.