New Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys, I thought I would share my truck buying experience since I enjoyed reading similar posts when I was looking for a new truck.
I grew up in a die-hard GM family and only owned GM products until I purchased my 2007 4x4 Ram 1500 quad cab. I really liked that truck and sold it to a good friend (who is still driving it) when I bought a 2012 Laramie crew cab. The 2012 was also a great truck without a single issue. I traded that in on a 2015 Laramie crew cab that I also had zero issues with and was great.
Early this summer I got the itch to purchase a new truck and wanted to try something different after spending 10 years with Ram.
I looked really closely at all of the full-size trucks. This isn’t an exact apples to apples comparison, but the trucks were all in the same general price range and were upper trim levels. The Chevy/GM was by far the worst of the bunch. Really dated interior, not as nice to drive and priced near the top. I also didn’t care for the Titan that much. The Tundra was nice but lacked some of the features I have come to really like such as keyless entry and vented seats. The infotainment system in the Tundra is also really dated. So, I was really close to buying a 2018 F-150 Lariat crew. I liked the truck but I didn’t feel like it was much of an upgrade to the 2015 Laramie I was driving. Also, reading through the F-150 forums and all the issues with the eco boost, along with a bunch of other things kept me from pulling the trigger on it.
The Ram dealership got in a 2018 limited tungsten edition. That’s what I ended up purchasing. By far the nicest truck I’ve ever been in. Top notch quality. After having the dealership put on Bilstein 5100’s and BFG KO-2’s the price was close to what I would have paid for the F-150. The Ram is a much nice truck.
One other thing, the people on the F-150 forum can be brutal. A guy would post about a mod he did to his truck and just get attacked for it. This however, is a very good forum filled with people who will help others and post useful information

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Four words: welcome back to Ram!

OP
OP
S

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will post some pics sometime this week. Thanks

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Thanks for sharing your experience, I’ve been considering an F-150 after I sell my 2014 RAM and return from a year long deployment. Congrats on the new truck. What makes the Tungsten such a nice truck? Fit and finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tell us more about the new ride. Congrats!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Nice write up. The interior on the Ram's is no joke. Quality of materials, visual appeal, colors, themes, etc just cant be beat on those top trims. On a truck basically dating back to 2010. They had a great platform to really flesh out and keep fresh for so long.

If you put a Longhorn/Limited or God forbid a Tungsten next to any GM truck, it's just embarrassing. Hell, I think the "regular" Laramie interior is a much nicer place to be than the top offerings of GM. Ford is closer, but still not as nice.

As far as community attitude, Mopar guys are the most down to earth and easy going crowd in my experience. I came from the GM crowd as well, they have this elitist thing.. Dunno why? lol. GM has made some great stuff over the years, but so has MOPAR and Ford, etc.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those Tungsten interiors sure do look nice and I bet they smell amazing.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats! What’s special about the tungsten model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the tungsten edition, I too looked at all of them and ended up with a RAM, heck I had my wife talked into buying a Raptor but when we went to the dealership and looked at them in person we just weren't impressed with any of it so we left and ended up buying a RAM.

OP
OP
S

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for sharing your experience, I’ve been considering an F-150 after I sell my 2014 RAM and return from a year long deployment. Congrats on the new truck. What makes the Tungsten such a nice truck? Fit and finish?

Thank you for your service! The interior on the tungsten is beautiful. Just a bunch of extra details from the soft leather on the seats to the dark indigo accents. I'm really impressed coming from the Laramie and comparing it to the F-150 Lariat and Kind Ranch.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
congrats and welcome. Looks great. any other mod plans?

Let us know if we can help you out with future upgrades!

OP
OP
S

SDDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Nick. I ordered the Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 and plan on upgrading the Alpine system over the next few weeks.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Very nice! Congrats!

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any interior pics? Looks like a nice buy for sure!

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had an F150 2.6L EB before I purchased my 2017 Ram and although I liked my F150, I wouldn't go back. I love my Ram.

I was also on the F150 forums during the time and they were as*holes on that forum. Everyone here has been super cool and helpful!