new ram help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveo2155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Would like to purchase new truck in next year or two. Only owned gm, still deciding between the two. When is new ram 1500 coming out and I heard they were going to make the current gen the first year of new gen, is this true? I like the look of current gen and might go that way if I could get a deal on one. I like the express package, is 3.92 gear ratio available in all trim levels? Is quad cab do able w/ two small children? I know not ideal but possible? Any other help in deciding ram vs gm would help

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought i saw for model year '19. that being said it could be anytime in 2018. sometimes they get release early on in the year or sometimes they wait until the normal next year hits the market (aug-nov).

kids grow so dont be kicking yourself in a couple years for not getting a crew cab. I have 3 kids all in larger car seats and there is plenty room for all.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Personally having driven the newest models of both, id say there is no competition. No brand is without issues but the new chevys, while very nice, are garbage imo. 3.92s are available in all trims.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had my truck for 2 years. Test drove all competitors, but the 5.7 and ZF 8 speed, along with 3:92 gears clinched the deal for me. Nothing else comes close. I really liked the GMC Sierra as well, but motivation was clearly lacking in the 5.3, and the interior (although nice) just wasn't as nice as Ram. Happy with my choice as this has been a solid truck.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
As said 3.92 is available in all trims. As someone that has had 2 quads and several crew cabs do yourself a favor and get the crew. Quads were never a issue to me untill I had a kid, I sold my 2014 and picked up a 2010 to get a crew.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes on the gearing. Quad cab is just fine with passengers in the back, but it is a little tight for longer drives with adults back there. Small kids should have no issues though. If it comes down to money, you can get the quad and know you'll be fine. But if money isn't an issue and kids are in the picture I'd recommend a crew.

I believe the next gen will be 2019, which means they will probably hit dealerships toward end of summer/fall of 2018. As for other deciding factors, it is just preference ultimately. GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota, Nissan all make good trucks. Just test drive them all and find what you like best. I'd feel confident buying a truck from any but I chose Ram because it scored out the best for me personally. I'd never fault anyone for buying one of the others though. Everyone has their own opinion and honestly no manufacturer makes garbage vehicles these days. Hell, even Hyundai and Kia put out some nice rides.

thekevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go drive a new one with 3.92s and you will be sold compared to the gm's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As for other deciding factors, it is just preference ultimately. GM, Ford, Ram, Toyota, Nissan all make good trucks. Just test drive them all and find what you like best.

Everyone here for the most part would choose a ram but this is the best piece of advice one could give. I bust my friends balls all the time about the vehicles they drive but when any of them is looking at getting a vehicle, this is what i tell them. If you like it and the price is right then go for it. They all have their upsides and downsides. When it comes to half tons its all what you feel most comfortable driving.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

thekevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my first ram on 5/17/2017. I previously had a 2012 Chevy z71, 2013 F150 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7. I hated my Chevy, kept it 4 months put 10k miles on it and traded it off. I loved both of my F150's, had them both 20 to 24 month and put 55k miles on each of them. My 2.7 tuned ecoboost was a beast but when it was time to trade I thought I would look around a little bit because I liked everything that came with the sport package I had but the seats sucked. I went and drove a 2017 GMC Z71 with a 5.3 and 3.42's and it was a complete ****. I was browsing around on the web and found a crew cab big horn 4x4 with 3.92's and went and drove it and as soon as I pulled out of the highway I knew I was buying the truck. I have had it 6 days now and it has 1000 miles on it already and I am amazed at how good the truck drives.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The 5.3 is pretty capable and should do everything you want it to, but it felt mushy to me. The 6.2 I tested made up for it and way more, but I didn't want to try to deal down a 55k or more LTZ plus trim. Too many options and chrome for me. Lastly the Chevys I tested had an angled steering wheel. Couldn't get over that. Maybe they changed it now.

I can't find it now but I read an article that Ram will be building current gen and next gen at the same time. I think you asked about that, and I'm pretty sure the Tradesman is the only trim that they'll be doing that for. Definitely not the high or mid range trims. FCA will want the new trucks out as fast as possible for the most part for advertising, and very few people notice work vehicles.

OP
OP
S

steveo2155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hate the look of the current Silverado while I love the look of the current ram. Sure they haven't changed the look in awhile but if its a good looking truck why change it every couple years? I wish chevy would learn from that. The only things I am not crazy about on current ram is dial shifter and gray cloth seats...wish they were black since I would drive it to work. What would be a good price on a new quad cab express 4wd with hemi and 3.92?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased my Ram a couple of months ago, 1500, 5.7, cc, express. Love the truck. Remember the kids will never get smaller. In my opinion cc is the way to go. My previous truck was an extended cab f150 and while the back seat was good for short trips it was cramped for long ones. As far as waiting on the next gen, if you like the looks of current model and like its options I'd go with whats available now. Personally I have this thing about buying the first year of anything, I like for it to be out for a year or so so they can work the bugs out before I buy.

OP
OP
S

steveo2155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also is the outdoorsman still a trim option? If not what replaced it? Seems like that had a lot of good options as well

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me tell you from someone who has had both a Quad Cab and a Crew Cab...technically yes a quad will work but you really will be kicking yourself for not getting a Crew Cab IMO. After having both, I won't get another Quad cab, too small for my needs and I have two children under the age of 4. Good Luck!