New Ram (Maybe)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prozac

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Hemi
I used to have an '04 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.7 and I am now back in the hunt. I think I have found the truck that I am looking for, but would love to get some advice on the price. Here are the stats:

2014 1500 Longhorn Limited, 5.7, with Nerf bars, spray in bed liner, Ram Box storage, and brake controller. It currently has 52000 miles and has been on the lot for over 6 months. They are asking $33985 and I am wondering what I should try to get it for. I know that the new ones are heavily discounted and I am hoping to use that to my advantage.

Thanks for any insight!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
There are brand new 2016 on the lots around here for that price.
I just bought a brand new 2016 for 27k, I say they are to high.

RamNoob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my lonestar 4x4 5 months ago, sticker of 48k got the truck for 36k out the door after taxes and everything else. New would honestly be a much better option, because dealers tend to hold firm on used inventory cause people are hanging onto their vehicles forever cause they are so expensive now

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Glad u asked here, run from that deal. Many new Rams what you are interested in brand new 36k. Even limited I think 2k more. Ram box loaded 37k.

50k miles, no way I pay over 30k for that, no way. Maybe, I say maybe if they through in the lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'd love to see where you're finding a $57k truck for $34k.

That's not a great price for that truck, but using the price of a new Big Horn as a point of reference is silly.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd love to see where you're finding a $57k truck for $34k.

That's not a great price for that truck, but using the price of a new Big Horn as a point of reference is silly.

How many people paid 57k for that new?

OP pretend you own the vehicle already and go to KBB, check the private party value. I'll give you a cookie if it's over 30k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Prozac

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Hemi
I just did as you asked. Trade in from 27.6 to 30.6 and private party is 33k. The cheapest Limited that I have seen is 600 miles away and is 40k and it does not have to RamBoxes or 4x4. I do not plan on paying the 34k. I was more or less trying to figure out what a good starting point might be.

Things I want: air ride, brake controller, heated/cooled seats, RamBoxes. That pretty much leaves me in the Laramie region.

I appreciate all the posts. Keep'em coming.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So Laramie same price as some big horns, 39k. And that is a 17, just say'n, good luck man.

5-6 grand difference from your choice for a new 17, your call. For me, that would be a very easy choice. Some of their Laramies they try to not go 10-12k off msrp, but they will absolutely make that deal if you start walking off the lot. So even loaded Laramie you are gonna get a few g's past 39, so long as we are talking 5.7.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^Great find.^^^

Laramies though, he was looking at a longhorn.

Car Guru's, man that site is fun. Autotrader, ebay, CL, vehix, none of those hold a candle. First time I've seen that.

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I just did as you asked. Trade in from 27.6 to 30.6 and private party is 33k. The cheapest Limited that I have seen is 600 miles away and is 40k and it does not have to RamBoxes or 4x4. I do not plan on paying the 34k. I was more or less trying to figure out what a good starting point might be.

Things I want: air ride, brake controller, heated/cooled seats, RamBoxes. That pretty much leaves me in the Laramie region.

You really need to find out what your budget is. You also should really find out exactly what options you want in a truck. Then call Dennis Dillon with that list and ask for a full OTD quote on an ordered truck with those exact options you want. Their price will be a good basis for any truck purchase moving forward or you will find that it makes sense to purchase a new truck even though the overall cost is a bit higher. Everything you mentioned can be had in a Laramie. How much more money for a truck with 0 miles and all the features/options you want and none you don't want all on a new truck?

Seems like too many people buy off the lot and don't give ordering a truck any thought.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
^^^Great find.^^^

Laramies though, he was looking at a longhorn.

Car Guru's, man that site is fun. Autotrader, ebay, CL, vehix, none of those hold a candle. First time I've seen that.

Thanks, missed the Laramie/Longhorn part.

The problem with cargurus is you may find a deal you can't refuse. That's how I found my 14 Sport.

Still hard to find a 14 Sport for what I paid over a year ago.:)

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Honestly, I think there's still room to get them down even further. Granted, mine is a Longhorn and not a "Limited", but it had roughly 38k miles when I bought it, and I paid a bit less than that... one year ago, when the truck was a year newer. And that was in the midwest, where truck prices are a bit more inflated than other areas.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid 30k for a 2014 Big Horn with 20k miles loaded with everything besides leather. The sticker price on these trucks are so far from what they are actually selling for.

That being said I agree with everyone else. It really depends on what your budget is. My advice is do not rush your purchase and shop around.

It comes down to what is in your area, how far you are willing to drive and what you need in your vehicle!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

i see laramies and limited near me for around 25% off, 2016 models. between the discounts and low financing rates, you might be able to get a new ride for the same monthly payment. i havent had much success negotiating great deals on used, so i have been buying new.