New ram owner, slightly put off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pdowney84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i'll be honest i have been a chevy guy since i was a kid. I was in need of a new truck and decided to stop by the ram dealer since they were running their truck month. I fell in love with the looks of it and the price dropped down to where i wanted to be and next thing you know i became a ram guy. I really like this truck and assure you i am no troll but only 3 days and 200 miles in i developed alot of belt/pulley noise. I was hoping it was just new belts needing to break in and just kept driving it, now at 3 weeks and 500 miles on it got louder and more consistent so i drove over to the dealer. They told me its a bad fan clutch? At 500 miles actually 200 when it started it seems crazy for parts to be failing. So as i sit here with my jeep patriot rental (skirt not included) i am not feeling too confident after my brand switch. Anyone have a similar experience? I actually hope the answer is no. Lol.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every brand has it's bugs.

50k miles later and I have zero issues with mine.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

OP
OP
P

Pdowney84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know we all know what they look like but this is mine, if you look close you can see my chevy behind it. Truck is nice but the older chevy is running and the brand new ram sits in the shop.

Attachments

• 20170422_161201.jpg
    20170422_161201.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 218

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If it happened that quickly then it's that 1% of items that gets through the TQM system; it happens with everything. Nothing like having a $100 hold up a $1M machine, had that happen last week because of a brand new faulty logic controller.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it makes you feel any better I got 210k out of my charger before I traded it in and it was still running great. Original 5.7 motor and original trans. 7362b82ef423739f025a1ce379a43b9e.jpg

The car was heavily heavily abused it's entire life. It was a phelps county Missouri patrol car. I bought it with 76k miles and treated it even worse. Burnouts, donuts, racing. It was put in a ditch by me that caused 2400 in damage. My buddy put it in the ditch and i hit a deer and blew the radiator. The only non routine maintenance that has ever gone wrong on the car was. A blown rear end from the nittos a ran on it, radiator cracked from brittle plastic, and a speed sensor went out putting it in limp mode. That's literally it.

Because of what that car suffered through and how well it handled it I bought a RAM
36b5800e289dc7ff8cfac9981a83f1dc.jpg

Its a 17 and I am 6600 miles in with not even a hickup. Granted I treat this truck lack a newborn baby. You should be alright, but every brand does have their occasional lemons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veritas726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
14 ram 1500 express 4x4, 42k miles. Zero issues. Had an 08 charger with 115k, only issue was an o2 sensor. Traded the charger for a challenger, 3k miles and no issues. Don't lose faith in the "new" brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The QC guy at the factory was playing Pokémon GO and one got past him. :sleepy10: you'll be ok.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Mines been great so far, not one rattle ,leak,squeak, clunk .
Now I am only at 3000 miles so still new.
Did I bring up it has a ton of power and would smoke my old Z71 with out even tryimg..lol

But I hear yeah would suck to have a problem so soon.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Scares you a bit I bet. Don't worry. I remember buying a 92 Dakota and not 200 miles in, odometer broke. I was like "Uh-oh", but that truck carried me 96,000 trouble free miles....and I worked it hard!

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anything man-made has a chance to break. I bought mine and heard a squeak the first week or so, turned out it was the spare tire rubbing on the heat shield. So, it was an easy fix unlike yours. But, as mentioned, sometimes there are parts that slip through because they are man-made and man checked! I'm sure you will love it once you get it back. I owned 2 chevys, a superduty, 4Runner, and a Tundra. This has been my favorite by far and it's my first Ram.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was a bit leery of jumping off the Chevy boat too. I'm so glad I did. I have 106,000 miles on mine now. So far I've replaced a few bulbs, the washer fluid sensor(caused by using rain-x washer fluid), and put a new battery in 5 months ago. It just started leaking exhaust in the area of the right exhaust manifold. The truck has been awesome.

It doesn't matter what brand it is, you always have a chance of getting a ****. The fan clutch going out right away is just a defect in the manufacturing. It doesn't matter how good the design is, the quality of the materials, or the level of quality control, **** just happens sometimes.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy you're new truck as much as I've enjoyed mine.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This can happen, parts suppliers have quality control but bad parts slip through. That clutch fan manufacturer could supply fans to more then the Ram brand. It's minor, hang in there

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Ex GM guy here too. I love this truck. Nicest one I've ever owned (I've owned a LOT I'm an old guy)

No major issues in 2.5 years.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My '04 ram has over 218,000 miles on it and has only had two items that had to be fixed. One was a power stearing hose leak, the other was radiator leak. Other items were simply wear related items that are supposed to be replaced. Engine / transmission still run super strong. Still love the truck. I picked up a new laramie, and am sitting right around 1350 miles w/ no issues. It's a nice truck, so i'd be pissed if something went wrong.

Bottom line, the hemi is a solid engine and the truck itself is too, and if you take care of them, do the maintenance, they will take care of you.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
My RAM is the biggest P.O.S. ive ever owned...YEP my belt/pulleys squeak...It also leaks oil/tranny fluid...When empty it rides like a roman chariot with concrete wheels...I'm forever chasing interior rattles...Blew the power steering hose @ around 1600mi, it instantly clogged the power booster and disabled ALL BRAKING AND STEERING ABILITY...Took the dealer 2 weeks to swap out that hose...****** gear ratios in the trans, especially first to second...Wrong gear for snowplowing...SNOW CHIEF PKG should automatically come with the 4.10...Worst OEM tires on a plow pkg setup h.d. truck...Ex G.M. guy here too...Ive owned 14 3500 chevys in my lifetime...8 were high dollar 3500 C.C. Duallys 4x4...This RAM is junk...BUT...Welcome to the club...:puke:

angryneutron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My RAM is the biggest P.O.S. ive ever owned...YEP my belt/pulleys squeak...It also leaks oil/tranny fluid...When empty it rides like a roman chariot with concrete wheels...I'm forever chasing interior rattles...Blew the power steering hose @ around 1600mi, it instantly clogged the power booster and disabled ALL BRAKING AND STEERING ABILITY...Took the dealer 2 weeks to swap out that hose...****** gear ratios in the trans, especially first to second...Wrong gear for snowplowing...SNOW CHIEF PKG should automatically come with the 4.10...Worst OEM tires on a plow pkg setup h.d. truck...Ex G.M. guy here too...Ive owned 14 3500 chevys in my lifetime...8 were high dollar 3500 C.C. Duallys 4x4...This RAM is junk...BUT...Welcome to the club...:puke:
I'm not trying to start anything but if you hate your truck so much why not get rid of it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Ha I asked him the same thing, sell it life's to short to be that unhappy.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So i'll be honest i have been a chevy guy since i was a kid. I was in need of a new truck and decided to stop by the ram dealer since they were running their truck month. I fell in love with the looks of it and the price dropped down to where i wanted to be and next thing you know i became a ram guy. I really like this truck and assure you i am no troll but only 3 days and 200 miles in i developed alot of belt/pulley noise. I was hoping it was just new belts needing to break in and just kept driving it, now at 3 weeks and 500 miles on it got louder and more consistent so i drove over to the dealer. They told me its a bad fan clutch? At 500 miles actually 200 when it started it seems crazy for parts to be failing. So as i sit here with my jeep patriot rental (skirt not included) i am not feeling too confident after my brand switch. Anyone have a similar experience? I actually hope the answer is no. Lol.

This has been an ongoing issue dating back to 2013. Still cant believe they haven't fixed the problem by now. Much like the third brake light leaks.