New truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOLA ItsNotOva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently have an 01 Tacoma. Work at a body shop and had to drive a Ram Hemi back and loved the way it rides. Before buying, I would like to know of any little quirks or common issues these trucks have. Also, basic maintenance. Anything that would be difficult to do such as spark plugs or anything like that? Thanks.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
The oil filter is a PITA on the hemi. I dread having to do the oil change - I mean really hate it!

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The oil filter is a PITA on the hemi. I dread having to do the oil change - I mean really hate it!

While it can be a little messy it's not that bad.

All around these are great trucks! You can't go wrong with a Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No problem changing oil here. I come in from the front to get filter off. And use a cut 2 liter soda bottle to go around the filter. Just changed it the other day in 15 min. Broken exhaust manifold bolts. My 14 had at least one broke when traded it in.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exhaust manifold bolts busting off, paint isn't great, a few people have issue with the auto transfer case in the higher trim trucks, headliner clips in the trucks with sunroofs come apart often, the spark plugs on the drivers side rear of the engine are kind of a pain to change because the master cylinder is right above them, I'm sure there's other things. I'm happy with mine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look at the owner satisfaction thread in my sig. People really like their Rams.

OP
OP
N

NOLA ItsNotOva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the insight! The Taco has 218k miles and a hard life. Previous owner didn't really do much other than oil changes and its starting to show. Replaced everything I've had to and still doing some other stuff. Going to hold on to it for a little bit longer. Next truck I get will be one that I keep for a while and don't need any headaches lol.

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you buy the multiple oil change contract through the dealer it breaks down to less than I could change my own oil for. Then you don't even have to mess with the oil filter.
Last contract I paid $90 for 4 oil changes which comes out to 22.50 ea. Plus it's the dealer doing it so you have a history of maintenance documented.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you buy the multiple oil change contract through the dealer it breaks down to less than I could change my own oil for. Then you don't even have to mess with the oil filter.
Last contract I paid $90 for 4 oil changes which comes out to 22.50 ea. Plus it's the dealer doing it so you have a history of maintenance documented.

So you got 12 gallons of oil and 4 filters for 90.00 and labor.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! The Taco has 218k miles and a hard life. Previous owner didn't really do much other than oil changes and its starting to show. Replaced everything I've had to and still doing some other stuff. Going to hold on to it for a little bit longer. Next truck I get will be one that I keep for a while and don't need any headaches lol.

You'll always have headaches with any vehicle. It's just how painful of a headache is what matters.

I've had 3 Ram trucks, a '99 ext cab 5.2L 4x4, a '07 MegaCab 5.7L 4x4 and currently own a '14 crewcab 6.4L 4x4. Each truck had it's particular generation common issues but they weren't major issues and all were taken care of either under the initial warranty or the extended coverage I purchased.

What year Ram did you drive?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
14 + model years have 100000 mile plugs. 09 through 13, the manual calls for 16 new plugs every 30000 miles. i went 40000 miles on my 11 with out issue. only use oem plugs.

OP
OP
N

NOLA ItsNotOva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll always have headaches with any vehicle. It's just how painful of a headache is what matters.

I've had 3 Ram trucks, a '99 ext cab 5.2L 4x4, a '07 MegaCab 5.7L 4x4 and currently own a '14 crewcab 6.4L 4x4. Each truck had it's particular generation common issues but they weren't major issues and all were taken care of either under the initial warranty or the extended coverage I purchased.

What year Ram did you drive?
Never had a Ram. The Tacoma is my first vehicle.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Once you drive a full sized truck, those little trucks just feel cheap and flimsy. I drove a Toyota for many years, but the ride and capabilities of a real truck just don't compare.

I doubt I could ever go back.

OP
OP
N

NOLA ItsNotOva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you drive a full sized truck, those little trucks just feel cheap and flimsy. I drove a Toyota for many years, but the ride and capabilities of a real truck just don't compare.

I love mine. Just has a lot of years of neglect under its belt. Trans fluid looks like it was never changed, rear main seal is leaking, etc. Its a strong truck tho. I don't treat it nicely and its never let me down. But the ride isn't the best, the wind takes it wherever it wants to go, and I'm 6ft 240lbs and I have big relatives so its becoming too small for me. I've used it like at 3/4 ton the past 3 years I've had it lol.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73

I said the same thing when I went from an suv to a 1500, then again went I switched to the 2500 Cummins and again when I upgraded to a 3500 dually. I can't ever see myself without a dually. No, no, no, I don't want to drive a 4500!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk