New truck, too much oil? Oil over full line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have about 400 miles on the truck with the 5.7L and pulled the oil dip stick to see the oil is about half an inch above the full mark. I figure it has special break in oil in it, but should it be over full? Should I try to drain some out to bring it down?
Thanks

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
there is no special break in oil, just regular old Pennzoil yellow bottle 5-20, did you run truck till hot then let sit for 10 min after turning it off to check it?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Is the engine stopped? Is the vehicle parked on a level surface? Sometimes it takes multiple sample dips to get an accurate read on the dipstick, because there can be oil splashed up on the inside of the tube. It is unlikely the factory would overfill the crankcase, but stuff happens.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you run truck till hot then let sit for 10 min after turning it off to check it?

It's been sitting in the garage all day. I checked it again, and it's between the full mark and the first bend of the stick above the full mark. I'm guessing half a quart maybe, but I've never changed the oil in this truck before so I don't know for sure how much that actually is. Either way, half quart to a quart over on break-in, is that anything to bring up to the dealer? Should I drain a little out to bring the level down, or just go ahead and change it to Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic?

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a possibility that the dipstick itself could be out of adjustment, such as the cap is set too high on the stick so the stick goes too deep. Just a thought.