New to trucks. Lift question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrsundays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I know almost everything there is to know about Jeeps as I have owned 7 and modded them. However I just traded in my JK for a 15 Ram Sport and its my first truck. Needed something moderate to tow my project Jeep. Its not that I hate how low it sits, but Id like to just add a small lift to make it a bit more truck worthy. Ive done some research and most recommend a leveling kit (adjustable struts) and body lift. I cant really find a definitive answer if this will alter the drivetrain to a less than ideal geometry. This is my DD now and Id like to keep it as streetable as possible, ie not messing with the A arms or other suspension components outside of the struts and springs. So will a leveling kit and body lift be an easy route to maintain stock angles and streetability, and what are the best kits right now.

Thanks!:favorites13:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Welcome and congrats! I've got the set up you're describing and I love it. I have a 5" total lift.

2" front level
1.5" rear level
Mevotech UCA'S
3" PA body lift
1.5" BORA wheel adaptors
325/60/20 duratracs on stock wheels

Mine is a daily driver as well. I do a fair bit of towing too, both light loads and maxed out weight loads. No issues with this set up.

Going with a body lift you'll need to get gap guards and raise your exhaust in the rear.

5da83eed0cf1f22bb2c45e81ccdf09fa.jpg

f0bb6dd0dd669b912f84b25216938ad4.jpg

74a10116f96c849306ae6955f64fc20e.jpg

b5442892f7f81d2ef4f1c9e9a25ed883.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mrsundays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome and congrats! I've got the set up you're describing and I love it. I have a 5" total lift.

2" front level
1.5" rear level
Mevotech UCA'S
3" PA body lift
1.5" BORA wheel adaptors

Mine is a daily driver as well. I do a fair bit of towing too, both light loads and maxed out weight loads. No issues with this set up.

Going with a body lift you'll need to get gap guards and raise your exhaust in the rear.

5da83eed0cf1f22bb2c45e81ccdf09fa.jpg

f0bb6dd0dd669b912f84b25216938ad4.jpg

74a10116f96c849306ae6955f64fc20e.jpg

b5442892f7f81d2ef4f1c9e9a25ed883.jpg

Nice setup! While I dont need 5" of lift practically, I would definitely be happy with the level kits. To be honest, I cant even really find level kits online when I search. The only ones I found appear to be spacers, which I would rather avoid as I have heard from friends who have done them they knock down ride quality. I cant really complain though since my JK rode like crap even with 3.5" progressive coils and Fox remote res shocks.

Wheres a good place to source a kit like yours?

OP
OP
M

mrsundays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it appears the Bilstein 5100 adjustable is the go to for adjustable leveling. What do you usually do for the rear? I see people recommending 2.1" for the front for a level but wont that provide an even level to the rear without a lift back there?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2" front level
1.5" rear level
Mevotech UCA'S
3" PA body lift
1.5" BORA wheel adaptors

can i ask a "dumb" question as im new to lifts..

whats the advantage of doing a body lift instead of doing a larger suspension lift?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Nice setup! While I dont need 5" of lift practically, I would definitely be happy with the level kits. To be honest, I cant even really find level kits online when I search. The only ones I found appear to be spacers, which I would rather avoid as I have heard from friends who have done them they knock down ride quality. I cant really complain though since my JK rode like crap even with 3.5" progressive coils and Fox remote res shocks.

Wheres a good place to source a kit like yours?

Well the only leveling kit available for out trucks is a either a spacer level or shock.

If you don't want a spacer (I have a spacer lift) than you'll want to go either bilsteins or rancho quick lift.

You can also get a 1.5" body lift if you don't want to be as high as me but want more than a level.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
can i ask a "dumb" question as im new to lifts..

whats the advantage of doing a body lift instead of doing a larger suspension lift?

Cost, ability to keep factory rear coils, you can take it off easier, and for me I didn't have to buy a 10" drop hitch to tow trailers like I would have with a 6" lift.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it appears the Bilstein 5100 adjustable is the go to for adjustable leveling. What do you usually do for the rear? I see people recommending 2.1" for the front for a level but wont that provide an even level to the rear without a lift back there?

Typically, you can go with the Bilsteins set at 2.1 (they have 3 or 4 settings) and that will bring you pretty much level with the factory rear height. Some have set to 2.8 and add a 1" spacer/block to the rear.

There are a few reports of issues going to 2.8 (4wd problems.. vibrations) but that isn't the norm.. just some have the misfortune. It's much like a 2.5" or 3" lift on a TJ with a Tcase drop.. some people will still have vibrations.. some won't.

Personally.. I'll just be getting the 2.1 to bring up the nose.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I was in the same situation as the OP. I went ahead and got the Bilstein 5100s and have them set at 1.4"

But, just like when I had my jk, now I'm looking for more altitude. So I'm at a crossroads and my research might help mrsundays.

Option A

I can move up to 2.1" on the bilsteins and be about 1/8" from perfectly level. BUT, I actually like the 3/4" rake I have because I always carry $h!t in the bed of the truck and tow every so often. I am thinking of adding SuperCoil HD springs (#SSC50) for $350 which will give me 3/4" lift in the rear and help the rear from squatting so much when I tow.

Option B

I can go with the bils at 2.8" in the front and add Icon 1.5" lift springs in the rear for $295 but then I'll probably need bilstein shocks in the rear (they are about 1" longer than stock). So it will be about the same price when all is said and done.

Not sure which way I want to go right now... I've heard mixed things about the Icon springs giving more like 1" of lift which means I will be level when fully empty and nose high with my crap in the bed of the truck or towing....

kinda leaning towards option A. Downside is less lift, but upside is less chance on being nose high.

mrsundays, honestly, I think it'll be just like with the JK, you'll be happy for a while, then want more lift and larger tires. I should have learned my lesson with the JK :suicide:
If I was starting over again, I would have just gone 4" superlift and be done. Since I no longer have a garage or time (2 boys in sports and assist coaching my oldest's team), having to shell out for the body lift, bilsteins fr&rr + labor puts the 4" superlift close enough to justify going that route IMO.

Good luck & post picks whatever you decide.

take a look at post #9 on this thread here: http://www.ramforum.com/f40/zone_v_superlift_300_difference-75491/

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrsundays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent information guys. Glad there are plenty of helpful people around here just like the Jeep world.

OP
OP
M

mrsundays

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I'm going to do the 5100's and if need be, a coil spacer in the rear. I don't really ever need to carry stuff in the bed and I won't be towing anything again for awhile, trail Jeep is down for much needed attention.