Newby Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dproctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I have made the deal to buy my first new vehicle in my life. 2017 Ram 2500 regular cab 4x4, with a 6.4 Hemi. To top it off.... I have always had GM trucks! My Dad is rolling in his grave! My 2007 2500hd has had rust issues for several years now, My last 4 or 5 GM trucks have had the same issues... sick of it! Of course I have always went from one wore out truck to another, so it is not totally GM's fault. Plus I am in love with the looks of the Ram. Hope I don't regret my purchase.
I have a few questions.
1) Does anybody buy the extended warranty on a new vehicle? Seems more cost effective to buy it when the factory warranty is about out. I may be wrong, that is why I am asking.
2) Anything advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

I almost feel like I am in high school and going out on a first date with the pretties girl in school!

Thank all!
Dave

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you read an answer to your question and someone uses the word "mod" in a sentence, delete the post. All they are trying to do is help you spend more money and make your truck a lot more fun to drive. Congrad's on your new truck. There are a lot of people on this site that can help you out whenever you have a question. I'm sure you will enjoy your new truck.
Jay

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well, I have made the deal to buy my first new vehicle in my life. 2017 Ram 2500 regular cab 4x4, with a 6.4 Hemi. To top it off.... I have always had GM trucks!

1) Does anybody buy the extended warranty on a new vehicle? Seems more cost effective to buy it when the factory warranty is about out. I may be wrong, that is why I am asking.

Congratulations!

I'm a GM Powertrain retiree and I have two RAMs in my driveway :).

As far as extended warranties, yes, I have them on both my trucks. I acquired both when I first got the truck. Waiting to buy one will cost you more after one year or 12,000 miles, regardless when you acquire the extended warranty, it begins on the date you received the vehicle. You just as well get the warranty up front and enjoy its benefits right away with small things like a loaner vehicle, roadside service, etc.

There are many online sources for the Mopar Max Care warranty, you have to do a little shopping to find the best deal. Do not get a third party warranty, some third party warranties mascarade as Max Care but they are not.

Here is a popular extended warranty reseller, one of several;
Genuine Mopar Vehicle Protection Warranty - Save $$ Today

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Extended warranties are insurance. It's like gambling.

You are betting something goes wrong, they are betting nothing goes wrong.

My last Ram ran 12 years with zero issues. I would have lost money.

I also consider any mods and self service will become a legal battle if you ever actually try to use the warranty, there WILL be a loophole.

I'm undecided with this new one, still considering it, but I'm pretty much anti-insurance/extended warranties for the most part.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
3 of 4 extended warranties I have had in the past on MOPAR vehicles paid for themselves.

The fourth one didn't get a chance to pay off any repair costs as the truck was totaled. However, I did get a pro-rated refund for the time left on it.

I now have an extended warranty on my 2017 CTD.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have purchased brand new 4 times in my life and have never bought the extended warranty. If I had, I would have lost money, because I never once needed it or wished I had bought it down the road.

It is all personal preference though. Basically buying insurance in case something goes wrong. My 2016 Ram only has 11k miles on it and no problems, but if I start getting issues before the factory warranty is up I may consider buying the extended then. Only plus side of buying it upfront is you lump it into your financing. Some people like the peace of mind and are willing to pay an extra few grand for it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congratulations!

I'm a GM Powertrain retiree and I have two RAMs in my driveway :).

As far as extended warranties, yes, I have them on both my trucks. I acquired both when I first got the truck. Waiting to buy one will cost you more after one year or 12,000 miles, regardless when you acquire the extended warranty, it begins on the date you received the vehicle. You just as well get the warranty up front and enjoy its benefits right away with small things like a loaner vehicle, roadside service, etc.

There are many online sources for the Mopar Max Care warranty, you have to do a little shopping to find the best deal. Do not get a third party warranty, some third party warranties mascarade as Max Care but they are not.

Here is a popular extended warranty reseller, one of several;
Genuine Mopar Vehicle Protection Warranty - Save $$ Today

This is pretty much my feeling. I have the lifetime Maxcare and travel worry free. I almost get excited when something goes wrong because I know I'm going to get some new parts.

Vehicles are just too complicated and expensive to work in these days.

OP
OP
D

dproctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you all for your great input. I will get to see my new truck tomorrow!
I decided to not buy a warranty at this time.....

Interesting little tidbit today......
I wanted a gooseneck ball in the back.. so I had them put a B&W Hitch in the truck before they brought it to me (6 hours away). They called me back and told me to not put a load in my truck with the ball upside down, it was possible to hit a stabilizer rod attached the the rear end. I have never heard of such a thing... Not really a big deal, but I have never heard of such. Apparently there was a warning on the hitch for the B&W factory....

Dave

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Honesty you are better off to pull the ball out and put it in your tool box or something anyway.
If you leave it on there for a long period of time it will rust in place and you cant get it out..lol

OP
OP
D

dproctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That was my thought. I found a rubber plug for $5 so I can keep the dirt out of it. Just thought I would share. it may prevent someone from tearing something up.
David

OP
OP
D

dproctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That was my thought. I found a rubber plug for $5 so I can keep the dirt out of it. Just thought I would share. it may prevent someone from tearing something up.
David

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get an extended warranty get it only from the dealer or FCA, don't even think about these fly by night places that will be harassing you. I've bought the extended warranty on my last 5 new vehicles. Out of all 5 I've only used it twice and by the time I paid the deductible there wouldn't have been that much difference to just paying straight out. I buy them basically for the electronics, mechanical stuff I'm not that worried about but I just picture at 36001 miles a 2 or 3 thousand dollars computer going belly up. It's all in what you're comfortable with.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the truck.

I have the mopar lifetime powertrain. I made the dealer pay for it to close the deal. Couldn't squeeze them for maxcare, but I got my best price and THEN the warranty on top of that after a walk out and follow up call.

I believe Zeigler is still the best price available on factory warranties, I've done my own shopping too for our other vehicles.

I've heard stories about the warranty being BS, but had I purchased it myself it would have taken approximately 3 weeks to pay for itself when the waterpump failed (a fluke). And, I would like to think that they will at least cover me on my trans and engine even though I leveled and have 35+" tires on a half ton. I'm very nice to the service department at my dealer.

There are stipulations that come with the warranty like the 5 year checks, so read the paperwork.