next gen ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveo2155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is next gen ram for 18 or 19? Also I thought I read somewhere they were announcing a trx package for 1500 at 2017 auto show? And what replaced the outdoorsman package for 2017?

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I thought I read 2019

OP
OP
S

steveo2155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
New Silverado should be out in 2019 as well. I am probably not going to be in a position to buy new until 2019-2020. Probably going to be between these two. I like the rams current styling hope they dont mess it up like chevy did with the 2016. I also really like the ram box. However I am a lifelong gm guy and have had great reliability which is very important to me.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If reliability is paramount, you may want to check out Tundra. There are sacrifices for the reliability but you're statistically much less likely to have any sort of issue.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
New Silverado should be out in 2019 as well. I am probably not going to be in a position to buy new until 2019-2020. Probably going to be between these two. I like the rams current styling hope they dont mess it up like chevy did with the 2016. I also really like the ram box. However I am a lifelong gm guy and have had great reliability which is very important to me.

i have found my past 4 dodges and 5 jeeps to be great quality. only issue is on our 07 jeep liberty. the window actuators break every so often. youngest daughter now drives this and has 150000 miles. only repair thus far was the PS pump.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If reliability is paramount, you may want to check out Tundra. There are sacrifices for the reliability but you're statistically much less likely to have any sort of issue.

the frames don't seem to hold up well.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is next gen ram for 18 or 19? Also I thought I read somewhere they were announcing a trx package for 1500 at 2017 auto show? And what replaced the outdoorsman package for 2017?

The Rebel TRX is a concept Raptor fighter with a Hellcat engine. No word of production that I've seen yet. SLT and Outdoorsman were discontinued for 17, at least for the US, with no replacement.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2019 is supposed to be the new RAMs.

2019 Ram 1500 Leaked at Dealer Meeting

Nothing yet confirmed but these photos were leaked awhile back, supposedly from some kind of dealer meeting. If this is the new RAM I don't know what I think of it, I'd definitely have to see something better and in person. Based on these pictures alone I pretty well hate that grille. The rest of the truck doesn't look bad but that grille is fugly.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I like how you stated that. I always hear "you sacrifice reliability for capability, etc" but never the other way around. then again, I'm easily impressed and lead a very sheltered life.

the frames don't seem to hold up well.

I think the old frame reliability / recall for the tundra was the pre 08 run. something about outsourced frame supplier not building up to required specs. don't remember completely but the current run of Tundras (08 to current) have had no major frame problems.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tundra.. Relaiability... You can get groceries in a Prius as well. Don't need a tundra to do that

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I am not going to get into semantics here (well maybe I am)... I live in the South East. Truck country. And there are 3 new SIlverados, 4 new Fords, 3 new Rams and 3 new Tundras.

Of those 13 vehicles only the 3 Tundras have had issues. One guy is on his 3rd set of front tires. So like everyone here I hear about the "Tundra Reliability" but I sure do not see it.

Last edited:

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't get me wrong - I didn't buy a Tundra. Lots of folks have issues with their Tundras.

But statistically, Tundra is less likely to have problems than RAM. Naturally, your individual experience may vary . . . we're just talking probabilities here.

Toyota Tundra Reliability - Dashboard Light

Dodge Ram Reliability - Dashboard Light

Again, not knocking RAM here (I bought one, right?) - just going off stats. :)

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Don't get me wrong - I didn't buy a Tundra. Lots of folks have issues with their Tundras.

But statistically, Tundra is less likely to have problems than RAM. Naturally, your individual experience may vary . . . we're just talking probabilities here.

Toyota Tundra Reliability - Dashboard Light

Dodge Ram Reliability - Dashboard Light

Again, not knocking RAM here (I bought one, right?) - just going off stats. :)

Gotta love statistics... You can make them do just about anything you want...

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta love statistics... You can make them do just about anything you want...

Agreed . . . Hence the importance of knowing how they were gathered, calculated, etc.

Fwiw, I think these guys have one of the best and most unbiased methods used. It's a far cry better than consumer reports or kbb.

It's all moot at the end of the day bc I still wouldn't buy tundra over ram, despite what the reliability stats are.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will say this is my third Dodge/Ram truck. I had an 01 with 5.9 an 02 with 4.7 and now this 14 with 5.7. The only problem I had with any besides recalls was a bad thermostat on the 02. I have also owned Chevy, Ford and a Titan in between the Rams. The F150 with 5.4 Triton was a POS. Bought it new in 05 and within the first year had 3 injectors and 2 catalytic converters replaced. The Chevy and Titan were trouble free. That being said, if I were in the market for a truck today I would consider buying any besides a new Titan or Tundra and if they weren't so ugly IMO I would consider them as well. Price and features would determine what I'd buy.

Last edited: