Next Gen Ram, Leaving big rig look?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
https://www.allpar.com/news/2017/06/ram-leaving-big-rig-look-behind-38102

A new article on Allpar speculates Ram may be changing its long time drop fender big rig styling. What do you guys think of the photos?

I for one am hoping they continue with the drop fender design. It is the only thing keeping the Ram unique. Everytime I look at my 2500 the design strikes me as the best looking truck since the vintage trucks of the past. Really hoping Ram doesnt mess it up.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sure hope not.... I love the style of the current Ram

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it might be the new idea of a re made Dakota, kinda like chevy colorado's new look and size, with that being said the mid-size truck game could come to be the new big fight of the truck industry with the colorado new design with a possible new Dakota and that leads me to think ford could bring back the Ranger, open the mid-size market along with a new Design of the Full-size Ram trucks to give them the extra sales in the new 5th gen so we will see what comes in the future. MID-SIZE TRUCK WAR!!!!!!

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Ram 1500 pickup trucks (DT): What we see coming down the line

If you look about 1/4-1/3 down the page you can see the front and rear in a darkened/shadowed pic. The front reminds me more of the current Durango than the Dakota.
The idea that there will be a twin turbo V6 to replace the Hemi in my opinion is not a very sound idea for sales just for the fact that the Hemi is a mopar iconic symbol of owning a Dodge or a Ram even if the numbers are there. the sales will go down due to the idea of buying a V6 over a V8 Hemi.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
FCA would be wise to enter the midsized market and with a new Ford Ranger coming they pretty much have to or they will be losing out big time. They also should be building the Ram TRX to eat that pesky little Raptor.

The truck in the pics could also be a mish mash of upcoming Ram full and midsize components.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The idea that there will be a twin turbo V6 to replace the Hemi in my opinion is not a very sound idea for sales just for the fact that the Hemi is a mopar iconic symbol of owning a Dodge or a Ram even if the numbers are there. the sales will go down due to the idea of buying a V6 over a V8 Hemi.

I agree the Hemi name should live on. It is part of the brand. No matter what they do they should give a new motor a hemi-head to preserve the name.

I think FCA should have had Cummins build them a diesel for the 1500 trucks. That would prob sell like hotcakes.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I was really hoping for was a Redesigned 1500 that could handle the 5.0 Cummins. now that is something I would buy over a new V6. the new ford Ranger is a little too...nissan looking to me so hopefully Ram can engineer a better "truck looking" dakota and they can throw that new twin turbo V6 in that instead of the 1500.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think FCA should have had Cummins build them a diesel for the 1500 trucks. That would prob sell like hotcakes.

One thing I was really hoping for was a Redesigned 1500 that could handle the 5.0 Cummins. now that is something I would buy over a new V6.

Ram had the opportunity but passed as it doesn't get the fuel economy numbers that the EcoD is capable of. Nissan is touting it as an in between 1/2 & 3/4 ton truck but it cost almost as much as the 3/4 CTD.

Where Dodge missed the boat was with Detroit Diesel 4.0L DELTA engine, back then they didn't think anyone would be interested in buying a 1/2 ton diesel.

If it was possible, have Cummins lighten and scale down the current 6.7 for the 1500.
With FCA owning VM Motori, any diesel for the 1500 will most likely be built in house.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really? Whatever happened to a truck looking like a truck? :jawdrop:
lol, the reason i say that is when you google the new idea of the dakota it looks like a honda ridgeline and we all know how that turned out.
I'm really hoping they make the dakota for the purpose of having V6's and leave the V8 to the full size.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram had the opportunity but passed as it doesn't get the fuel economy numbers that the EcoD is capable of. Nissan is touting it as an in between 1/2 & 3/4 ton truck but it cost almost as much as the 3/4 CTD.

Where Dodge missed the boat was with Detroit Diesel 4.0L DELTA engine, back then they didn't think anyone would be interested in buying a 1/2 ton diesel.

If it was possible, have Cummins lighten and scale down the current 6.7 for the 1500.
With FCA owning VM Motori, any diesel for the 1500 will most likely be built in house.
Well with the whole fiasco with the ecodiesel hopefully Ram can come to some sort of agreement with cummins to redisign the 1500 to hold up the 5.0 Cummins why let nissan and toyota who are just fanboys of the cummins :flipthebird: , when dodge and Ram are the true blue buyers if that makes any sense. this is just stirring in my brain with ideas I wish someone who worked for FCA was reading this.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Rams the only truck left that actually looks like a truck.. and unfortunately the way the auto industry is evolving is in the way of lighter materials and smaller engines matched with forced induction for the same performance with better fuel efficiency. Which means the extinction of big V8's is coming and we are all going to live to see it.

It would be a real tragedy if Ram tries to go all super modern and high tech in their redesign like Ford did with the latest F150 because my appeal to buy a Ram stemmed from its more traditional truck look.

I don't see FCA pulling the plug on the Ecodiesel motor anytime soon to replace it with a Cummins so I wouldn't bank on that. FCA owns VM which means their cost to build the power plants is much cheaper than to sub out to Cummins. That paired with the notion that they are going to probably "fix" the Ecodiesels emissions with a software update and the sales they have made from the Ecodiesel wouldn't make sense for them to drop the engine out of their lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
FCA would be wise to enter the midsized market and with a new Ford Ranger coming they pretty much have to or they will be losing out big time. They also should be building the Ram TRX to eat that pesky little Raptor.

The truck in the pics could also be a mish mash of upcoming Ram full and midsize components.

They are with a jeep pick up.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The new Limited is about exactly everything I want - CarPlay + Sporthood + Suede headliner. Hope I can find one cheap when the new body style comes out.