Next mod advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wish I won the lottery so I can do all my mods at once. However, I have to do it piece by piece. My question is, should I do exhaust or window tint right now?

Exhaust will be the mufflex 18m. (On sale at moes performance)

Tint will include a tad bit darker on the back 3 windows. Tint the front 2 (driver and front passenger) and a light tint over the windshield.

Let me know of those two I should do first and why.

Thank you

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I would do the the exhaust first. Be careful with the mufflex system though. I ended up having to have mine welded on because the stupid thing wouldnt stay tight and kept sliding back over time.

P71Ryan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously it's up to you but after having my Durango tinted I'll never own another car without tinted windows lol. I did the exhaust on mine the week I bought it but if I could switch the mods I'd probably do tint first.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust. You will enjoy the sound more than you will the tint.

Do the tint in the spring, the sun is a little cooler for the next few months... ;)

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would do the the exhaust first. Be careful with the mufflex system though. I ended up having to have mine welded on because the stupid thing wouldnt stay tight and kept sliding back over time.

I have seen were people are cutting couple extra slits in the mufflex pipes to improve the clamping force.

I did exhaust over window tint but that's just me :crazy:

OP
OP
HemiPower36

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wow, lol, I appreciate the response thus far. So far I have 3 in favor of exhaust and 2 for tint. Still a good toss up. I think I am leaning towards the exhaust now. I did not consider the fact that I still have cooler months ahead of me.

Has anyone else experienced slipping with the mufflex exhaust? Should I just get a magnaflow (which is what comes on the mufflex anyway)?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Zero issues with my mufflex.

Use an impact to tighten the bolts. I bet most of the reason they've slipped on people is that they've only snugged them down without really torquing them and compressing the clamp much.

jlis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say tint. We get good sunlight in California!

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If one or the other I would go exhaust. I did both for less than you'll probably do one. I did 20% tint on just the front windows for $60 bucks and built my own muffler swap for about $75. There was a guy on here who used a stainless jones muffler and built his for ~75 bucks as well. Unless you live where they salt the roads you shouldn't need full stainless. If you do, I guess spend the ~300.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You already know the exhaust gets my vote. Like mentioned earlier, use an impact to tighten down the clamps, and it doesn't hurt to cut an extra slit in the inlet tube...That will give it plenty of clamping force to ensure a tight seal.

gsw_03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd do the tint first. Whereas I enjoy the startup sound and the roar at WOT, there are cruising speeds and RPMs under load (even with MDS disabled) that have really annoying exhaust tones in the cab. If you had a single cab, I'd say go with the exhaust, but the crew cabs get more cab noise from the exhaust, and there are times when I consider going back to the stock exhaust because of it.

UsAndaTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Living in California, I did the tint first. I will do the muffler in the future, but quite far down the list. There are so many mods out there. Why muffler over some other mods? Y-pipe, Veraram, tuner mod, all better than muffler. Also, changing your pipe tips to a bigger size will change the note (slightly). Just curious...

EldoEsq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did the Mufflex 18 first...love it and am extremely happy. I cut an extra slit, and only hand tightened. No issues whatsoever and sounds great.

I will be tinting the front windows to match in a few weeks!

OP
OP
HemiPower36

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Living in California, I did the tint first. I will do the muffler in the future, but quite far down the list. There are so many mods out there. Why muffler over some other mods? Y-pipe, Veraram, tuner mod, all better than muffler. Also, changing your pipe tips to a bigger size will change the note (slightly). Just curious...

You have a good point regarding better mods than the exhaust. I could do vararam, TB, tune....etc. I just love the sound of a v8. I want my truck to roar.

OP
OP
HemiPower36

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did the Mufflex 18 first...love it and am extremely happy. I cut an extra slit, and only hand tightened. No issues whatsoever and sounds great.

I will be tinting the front windows to match in a few weeks!

Awesome. How does the 18m sound in the cab? Tons of drone? Alittle drone?

EldoEsq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Some drone...not tons. Not bad at all in my opinion, but it is there at about 1500-1600rpms. It's really not an issue...the sweet sound on startup and acceleration and cruising and coasting makes up for it!!!

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the above statement. It's more of an issue with CC compared to the quad cabs because of the location of the muffler. I hit gear+/- and put it in 8 or 7 to turn off MDS or up the rpms to 1800-2000. The trucks with the 3.92 rear seem to experience less drone also because they are turning about 1700+ rpms at highway speeds.

Last edited:

EldoEsq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I agree with the above statement. It's more of an issue with CC compared to the quad cabs because of the location of the muffler. I hit gear+/- and put it in 8 or 7 to turn off MDS or up the rpms to 1800-2000. The trucks with the 3.92 rear seem to experience less drone also because they are turning about 1700+ rpms at highway speeds.
Sounds about right...I have the Crew and 3.21 rear.