No overdrive, can't shift to 1st and 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Hello everyone! Hope you can help me out.

My father in law has a 2010 Dodge Ram Laramine. Full cab. 71k miles. Tans fluid has not been changed yet.

His automatic transmission has been acting up. It started right after he cleared the light for engine oil change.

It's like the over drive will not kick on. High-way driving has the RPMs way high and it will not kick into the last gear.
Also, he cannot shift manually down to 1st or 2nd.
During driving, CEL came on, and this is what he got at Auto zone for code readout:

P0016 Crankshat/Camshaft Timing Misalignment
P0014 Bank 1 Camshaft 2 Position Target Performance
P0016 Crankshat/Camshaft Timing Misalignment
P0014 Bank 1 Camshaft 2 Position Target Performance

I suspect this may not be the exact cause, but what trigger the CEL when the issue was present.

Any help as to where to diagnose? That you!

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
It's in limp mode which is 3rd gear only.

Cam/crank sensors are a common failure and they can trigger codes for each other sometimes. It needs a mechanic and shouldn't be driven until fixed. The timing being off can cause knock/detonation and pop the head gaskets.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
agree, have this checked by a mechanic before a minor repair becomes a big costly repair.

OP
OP
P

PaulPool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8
Thank you both for the quick reply! He was already planning to take it to the shop soon, so I advised him sooner than later and not to drive it. I will post an update when we find out what it is.