Now what (ECO Deisel)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco-diesel
Finally after 4 1/2 weeks i have my ECO diesel back.
Had to get 4 injectors and a map sensor replaced. Also had to flush the entire fuel system.

Was told to use Fleet Asphaltanie treatment, by another Dodge dealer.

I have used this treatment since the truck had 12,000 miles on it and it has 29,000 miles on it. But my issues were due to build up in the fuel system ?
I also replaced the fuel filter at 12,000 miles

Obviously this treatment is junk.

What do you use ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you happen to live in Pennsylvania? On another forum there has been a few guys with the same issue and response from the dealer.
I use Opti-Lube in mine.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I never used additives in mine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check out standyne additives.

OP
OP
M

Mike A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco-diesel
Do you happen to live in Pennsylvania? On another forum there has been a few guys with the same issue and response from the dealer.
I use Opti-Lube in mine.

Yes I live in PA but generally get my fuel in MD.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The ECOdiesel isn't the only diesel on the road but it is the only one have injector issues due to asphaltenes (I've seen other comments on other boards about this).

I guess the magic question is why? A fuel injector source, fuel filtering? Since asphaltenes are naturally found in crude the issue would be showing up in diesel's other than the ECO I would think.

OP
OP
M

Mike A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco-diesel
The ECOdiesel isn't the only diesel on the road but it is the only one have injector issues due to asphaltenes (I've seen other comments on other boards about this).

I guess the magic question is why? A fuel injector source, fuel filtering? Since asphaltenes are naturally found in crude the issue would be showing up in diesel's other than the ECO I would think.

From what i have read the American diesel engines are designed for "our" fuel.
Whereas the imported ECO diesel is designed for the more refined fuel they use over seas ?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
From what i have read the American diesel engines are designed for "our" fuel.
Whereas the imported ECO diesel is designed for the more refined fuel they use over seas ?

Interesting read;
Understanding how Asphaltenes are Created and Lead to Lost MPG

"Simply put, the injector operates with a large amount of pressure and at a very high temperature and unfortunately it can scorch the fuel. This burning can create a black asphaltene build up. The small pieces of asphaltenes, which contain carbon, group together forming larger clusters that can even plug the fuel filters and lead to a shorter filter life."

I'm not quite sure what to think about this. I have several diesels used for land management plus my RAM Cummins, never an issue. I even went and looked inside my diesel fuel storage tank looking for the tell-tale signs, nothing.

OP
OP
M

Mike A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco-diesel
My paper work from the dealer has new instructions. I am supposed to add stabilizer at very fill up, add a fuel cleaner every three months, and change fuel filter every 7,500 miles.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My paper work from the dealer has new instructions. I am supposed to add stabilizer at very fill up, add a fuel cleaner every three months, and change fuel filter every 7,500 miles.
I would be reaching out to RAM about this. You bought your Ecodiesel expecting a certain cost and schedule for maintenance. Now your dealer is suggesting a much more expensive and rigorous schedule. Ultimately your warranty is through RAM, not your dealer. Get it in writing from RAM.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
There are guys on the ecodiesel forum that have run their fuel filter over 115,000 miles without issues.

Why do some have issues while others do not?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the brand of fuel?
Maybe the brand of fuel filter?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know that much about diesel fuel but my dad swore by flying j diesel fuel. He would drive completely out of his way to fuel at flying j. He even out larger fuel tank on his truck so he could go from Ohio to AZ using only flying j fuel.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What a pia. Ask your dealer specifically what additives to use. As stated, get in writing.

OP
OP
M

Mike A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco-diesel
Once again 14,000 miles later.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting read;
Understanding how Asphaltenes are Created and Lead to Lost MPG

"Simply put, the injector operates with a large amount of pressure and at a very high temperature and unfortunately it can scorch the fuel. This burning can create a black asphaltene build up. The small pieces of asphaltenes, which contain carbon, group together forming larger clusters that can even plug the fuel filters and lead to a shorter filter life."

I'm not quite sure what to think about this. I have several diesels used for land management plus my RAM Cummins, never an issue. I even went and looked inside my diesel fuel storage tank looking for the tell-tale signs, nothing.

That sounds weird, as any fuel in the injector close enough to heat up usually gets shot into the cylinder, and the rest recircs back to the tanks.....so not sure how enough would get back to the fuel filter to cause that kind of problem, unless the ED injectors are a lot different when compared to a 12v.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45