Odometer Resetting Itself - Have you seen this before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
i feel like i am watching an angry mob with pitch forks...

more then likely it is just a faulty instrument cluster as the mileage is stored independently in the cluster. had a brand new Cadillac CTS do the same thing, dealer ordered a new cluster with some extra miles on it and swapped it out. no title issues, no warranty issues.

i see no reason to demand a new truck over this, its just a single faulty part.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i feel like i am watching an angry mob with pitch forks...

more then likely it is just a faulty instrument cluster as the mileage is stored independently in the cluster. had a brand new Cadillac CTS do the same thing, dealer ordered a new cluster with some extra miles on it and swapped it out. no title issues, no warranty issues.

i see no reason to demand a new truck over this, its just a single faulty part.

Just because you didn't get a new truck, doesn't mean he shouldn't. The fact you accepted it with not knowing how many miles were actually on it is quite ignorant actually, sure the dealer told you it was fine, why wouldn't they ?

Anyone that takes a truck that's had past odometer display issues in the past deserves to get screwed, even more so when you're told how imperative it is that it deosnt' get fixed. corrected. No pitch forks, just a good way to stick it to the " man " who constantly sticks it to the people :)

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just because you didn't get a new truck, doesn't mean he shouldn't. The fact you accepted it with not knowing how many miles were actually on it is quite ignorant actually, sure the dealer told you it was fine, why wouldn't they ?

Anyone that takes a truck that's had past odometer display issues in the past deserves to get screwed, even more so when you're told how imperative it is that it deosnt' get fixed. corrected. No pitch forks, just a good way to stick it to the " man " who constantly sticks it to the people :)

:crazy:

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wait to see what they find out before you go off half cocked. The mileage should be stored in the PCM and the cluster, its probably just a cluster issue.
If it reads 6 miles in both you may have a issue and a case for a different truck.
Keep things in perspective regardless. Definitely a first world problem.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Its def a good point. But if the PCM or any brain type component has issues, he should look at getting a new truck. I had a Tahoe that had issues with the BCM and there was all kinds of strange electrical gremlins that never got truly sorted out, even after they replaced harnesses and all kinds of wiring and the entire BCM. It was a friggin nightmare. Not saying that is exactly what would happen to him, but electrical issues can be a real disaster and you dont want to have to deal with that down the road when you have no warranty.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stop me if im wrong but i would guess that if someone bought a brand new truck but isnt there a 30-90 day warranty policy i can imagine OP getting a different truck if they choose to do so

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
wow i love being called ignorant...really makes my day. on my particular case, once the instrument cluster got to three digits the LCD started having errors displaying the information, dots and dashes but no numbers.

the mileage is stored in the PCM and the instrument cluster independently so the true mileage of the OP's truck can be verified. the dealer will have to order a new cluster with the mileage already programmed.

perhaps i just have more realistic expectations and don't believe a single faulty part warrants replacement of an entire vehicle.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Stop me if im wrong but i would guess that if someone bought a brand new truck but isnt there a 30-90 day warranty policy i can imagine OP getting a different truck if they choose to do so

There is a 3 year, 36 thousand mile bumper to bumper warranty. As soon as you sign the papers and drive it off the lot it belongs to you.
There is no return policy, once it has been sold it cannot be resold as a new truck. It would be a used truck at that point.
Dealers do not warranty vehicles the manufacturer does. You can't expect the dealer to take a beating reselling your used truck

DRAFT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CREW
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I can't help but think about the movie "Ground Hog's Day".:)

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see, well who knows how many miles that truck actually has i think i wouldve thought something if i noticed it during the test drive. I hope the OP gets this handled in his favor

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guess what?

If you bring it to them and they want to fix it and have you keep the truck still, your title now has odometer issues and will forever have red flags for its odometer and true mileage. Your resale value just completely went to ****. Seriously.

I would never in a million years let them just fix it and keep the truck. You just bought a brand new truck and now the title is going to be screwed.

What red flag issues with his title? resale?
Vehicles speedometers/clusters are replaced all the time when they fail.
The sky is not falling, **** happens. Why scare the guy with bizarre scenarios.
It sucks to have an issue with a new vehicle and I feel for the guy, but thats what warranty is for.
Bring it to the dealer and have it fixed.
First world problem.
Life is to short to get so twisted over stupid ****.

Last edited:

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
wow i love being called ignorant...really makes my day. on my particular case, once the instrument cluster got to three digits the LCD started having errors displaying the information, dots and dashes but no numbers.

the mileage is stored in the PCM and the instrument cluster independently so the true mileage of the OP's truck can be verified. the dealer will have to order a new cluster with the mileage already programmed.

perhaps i just have more realistic expectations and don't believe a single faulty part warrants replacement of an entire vehicle.

Some people don't have filters, I do not. I wasn't calling you ignorant, I was saying what you did was ignorant, surely your mother taught you the difference as a child, I know mine did.

As far as the mileage being stored in the PCM, and cluster, that's absolutely incorrect, whoever told you that said something ignorant ( see what I did there ? ).

The PCM can WRITE to the board in the cluster, but it can not store the data. It can, of course, display the mileage, with the right tools, it's used as a last resort, and I guarantee you that without a doubt, no one at the dealer level knows how, or would even bother with it.

Anyways, back on topic, you aren't ignorant, take what I say at face value, i'm very literal, and blunt, what you did in that situation was ignorant, imo.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What red flag issues with his title? resale?
Vehicles speedometers/clusters are replaced all the time when they fail.
The sky is not falling, **** happens. Why scare the guy with bizarre scenarios.
It sucks to have an issue with a new vehicle and I feel for the guy, but that's what warranty is for.
Bring it to the dealer and have it fixed.
First world problem.
Life is to short to get so twisted over stupid ****.

The clusters are indeed replaced all the time, and the PCM can display whatever it's programmed to display, it's not stored in the PCM.

Moreover, if the cluster is just resetting itself, it's because it's getting bad data, I'm sure it's nothing more than the cluster, and or pcm, and of course the data can be verified. The problem here, is he didn't' tell us if the mileage goes up when he's driving, or if it resets only when turned off, not put in part / back to start, etc.

The people, like myself, making it a bigger thing than it is, is so he can get more from the dealer. This isn't a tire that needs replacing, you can play anything up, why wouldn't you, they are there to make sure they make money, you, as the consumer, should be you are there to make money too. He's not breaking any laws, he's not lying, and he's not doing anything unethical, very rarely do you get major issues that allow you to pull out all the stops without having to break one of those, illegal, unethical, or lie.. he should milk it, if you think you have better " morals " and wouldn't do it, good for you, your opinion i'm sure has been noted.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Some people don't have filters, I do not. I wasn't calling you ignorant, I was saying what you did was ignorant, surely your mother taught you the difference as a child, I know mine did.

As far as the mileage being stored in the PCM, and cluster, that's absolutely incorrect, whoever told you that said something ignorant ( see what I did there ? ).

The PCM can WRITE to the board in the cluster, but it can not store the data. It can, of course, display the mileage, with the right tools, it's used as a last resort, and I guarantee you that without a doubt, no one at the dealer level knows how, or would even bother with it.

Anyways, back on topic, you aren't ignorant, take what I say at face value, i'm very literal, and blunt, what you did in that situation was ignorant, imo.
I have no idea what your trying to say,

"The PCM can WRITE to the board in the cluster, but it can not store the data. It can, of course, display the mileage, with the right tools"

Are you saying the PCM can only display what is stored in the cluster with the right tools?

That is incorrect, The PCM stores the mileage independent of the cluster, you can actually change the mileage in the PCM with Wi-tech, you cannot change it in the cluster, also changing it in the PCM will not change it on the cluster.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Actually I just read your 2nd post where you quoted me, you proved you don't know what your talking about, so don't bother answering my question

Rambo182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I subbed to this thread to see what happens to OP. Just un-subbed bc it has turned into a ******* match. Great job gents.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
AND "as the world turns"
I am following this thread

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no idea what your trying to say,

"The PCM can WRITE to the board in the cluster, but it can not store the data. It can, of course, display the mileage, with the right tools"

Are you saying the PCM can only display what is stored in the cluster with the right tools?

That is incorrect, The PCM stores the mileage independent of the cluster, you can actually change the mileage in the PCM with Wi-tech, you cannot change it in the cluster, also changing it in the PCM will not change it on the cluster.

There is an odometer chipset that does nothing but encrypts the data from the logic board on the cluster. The pcm stores bits of data in conjunction with the cluster . They are accessed by the encryption board and together post an output. You can change the mileage on the pcm because it can write to the cluster, as I said before. I'm sorry you don't agree with me, and that's fine. And for the record, the pcm can change the cluster, it uses a signed cert from Chrysler , it may not be able to do it with our tools, but it certainly can be done. The data stored on the pcm is useless data without the cluster unless you've manipulated it, it has a chip for storing ram memory of the odometer, but if whole you'll be flagged and your warranty will be voided, a full odometer reading should never be stored in the pcm.

Unlike an audi, fca uses RAM not nvram. When the truck is shut off the data in this ram is removed, next time its powered on it rewrites. If the data rewritten is different than when it was turned off last, it would not know. This is actually poor design. But that's how it's designed.

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the cluster only shows what the PCM writes to it then why is it that when you replace the cluster it still shows the donor vehicles mileage??? By what your saying it should change the cluster to match the PCM.... also, if you don't get the mileage reset by a professional then why is it that the PCM continues to keep track of the original mileage while the cluster continues from whatever it was at when swapped????

Also, where are you getting all your info from... do you work at a dealership???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn