Oil Change message this soon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeyhubbard21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2012 Ram 1500 in September brand new. It has 3500 miles on it and the change oil message came on already. It says to change the oil every 8000 miles...any idea's why mine is comming on this early?

MK12RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The computer is suppose to base your oil change intervals by your driving habits. So, lots of stop and go and hard throttle will result in an oil change sooner. The same goes for opposite only the intervals well be further apart. I have 3600 on mine and I'm wishing mine would go off to change the oil (I have free oil changes for 5 years or 70,000). With the regular non synthetic oil I like to change around 3000, with synthetic I like to change around 5000. Thats based on my driving habits though.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to RF. My truck so far the light has come on right at the 3500 mile interval. I've seen people say its based on driving habits and its supposed to factor things in but i think more than one member has had it right at the 3500 mile interval. The light will even come on right after you change the oil if the oil was changed before the 3500 miles

triangleman29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome! Yeah what they said! lol

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Dealer told me it was exclusively an interval light. However, I will say that it came on for me the 1st time at 8,000 miles, and just recently came on again around 3,500 miles after I reset it. I don't understand why the interval would have changed...

What are the possibilities it is an engine hour interval light, and not a mileage interval light?

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to say mine comes on every 2500 miles. I tend to ignore it completely because there's no way the oil is bad that soon. I use royal purple also and whenever I change it, it's still got a good amount of purple to it.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to say mine comes on every 2500 miles. I tend to ignore it completely because there's no way the oil is bad that soon. I use royal purple also and whenever I change it, it's still got a good amount of purple to it.

I am sure you know, but that purple is just a dye, it's not an indicator of service life. We use the same type dye in ATF.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Hey if it still looks purple, that is better than black lol.

Can someone explain why my light came on at two different mileage intervals by chance?

At the OP-> My dealership told me it is a set interval, and it should be every 8,000 miles like your manual said. He also said they just haven't standardized all the production lines which seems really really dumb/poor form, and that is why they sometimes come on at non-8,000 mile intervals. He said to change the interval in the personal settings in the EVIC. I don't think you can change that in the EVIC though....

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine came on at 3500 miles for the first change.

Only at 4,600 now, so no idea of next indication.

I do find it strange that it was exactly 3,500 for me, and for many others. Not 3,503 - exactly 3,500.

OP
OP
J

joeyhubbard21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the info guys! Guess im going to go get my hands dirty after work. Now the question is, do I have to change it when it gets to 8000 like the manual says? "Knocking on wood" but for some freak accident to occure and my engine blows up and I didnt change my oil at the 8000 mark and change it at the 11500 will they say "well since you didnt change it at the 8000 mark your warrenty is void."

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny I think my oil life light came on right at 3500 as well. I acutally had my first oil change for free at my dealer on a set date about 3 months post taking delivery of my truck so i just brought it that day, think it had about 3200 miles at that point. About a week and a half later my oil life light came on. Luckily knowing chevys just hit the pedal like three times in a row while ignition is keyed to run resets it, i tried that and it worked. Anyways i have about 48-- miles now so i will pay attention to the next time my oil life light comes back on. And i have a 29.99 oil change coupon from another dodge dealer in the area so i will just let them do it, for $30 i cant do it myself and save any money anyways.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first 2012 I bought in Feb. and had over 19,000 miles on it when I totaled it. The light came on every 8000 miles. I was told by the service manager that 8000 miles is okay - just don't go any longer. You don't have to change it at the 8 - 16 - 24 - etc. mileage indicator, just 8000 miles. Keep a log of what you do to it and you'll be fine for warranty issues. The 2012 I have now has about 7000 on it and I've already changed it twice. First time at 1200 miles with conventional oil and again at 4500 miles with Mobil 1. I just keep track of everything I do to it.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am sure you know, but that purple is just a dye, it's not an indicator of service life. We use the same type dye in ATF.

Yep, I know that, lol. I just like the fact that I can tell it's still got some color to it.

Thanks for all the info guys! Guess im going to go get my hands dirty after work. Now the question is, do I have to change it when it gets to 8000 like the manual says? "Knocking on wood" but for some freak accident to occure and my engine blows up and I didnt change my oil at the 8000 mark and change it at the 11500 will they say "well since you didnt change it at the 8000 mark your warrenty is void."

Personally, and a lot of people think differently, I don't let my oil go that long without a change. Since I got my truck, I've been dead set on changing it every 5k since day one. They say modern day oils (synthetics) are so much better then what was available back in the day and can last up to 12-15k before needing to get changed but I like the peace of mind knowing that my motor is running nice a smooth all the time. I mean, I use royal purple which is expensive stuff and I don't mind spending the money changing it every 5k because I know if I ever have any issue's with the motor, the chances of it being oil related should be almost nonexistent.

So it all comes down to when you want to change it as long as it's not more then every 8k, you should be fine.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
8,000 is the interval, not the mielage to change oil at.
I think you have to insert a modicum of common sense into this equation. The truck will try to tell you when it needs it but somtimes yo umay be better off doing what you think is right.
I ignore my light completely (I havem't seen it yet). I changed it first at 5,000km to get the break-in oil out and went to synthetic as we're into winter and it could use the extra lubrication and co9ld-start help.
I have ordered an oil anaylsis kit to establish the intervals I can follow, but am always over-cautious when it comes to oil change intervals. I consider it cheap insurance (compared to severe engine prioblems).

My $.02