Oil Changes/Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clawofthegriz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to site, have new 2011/1500 ram dodge, 5.7 hemi. Manual states chg oil/filter at 8,000 miles. From old school, use to changing oil/filter every 3,000. The Dodge (chrysler) manual recommends use their oil/filter. Does anybody have any pros and cons to this requirement. Does anyone see any harm (outside of Chrysler) with changing oil/filter every 3,000 miles and using other brand oil/filter, just as long as you can prove you changed oil around the 8,000 miles mark so if something were to go wrong, Dodge can't say its an oil maintenance/filter problem. To me all brands of oil/filter are basically about same, some better than others.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
3K miles is fine, as long as the oil you are using is the proper API spec...You can get the MOPAR filters at WalMart.

The only way to tell if your oil is ready to be changed is by doing an analysis on it...the
3k mile rule is a a rule of thumb, not really a diehard set rule. The tolerances your engine was built to all have a determining factor in when to change oil and with the advancements in modern engines these days, those tolerances to oil change intervals have been extended.

With that being said though, always stay within the suggestions of the engine manufacturer and dont go outside those suggestions.

And yes, you are about right when you say almost all oils are the same, I have been working for an oil company for the last 12 years.

Gray2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have been changing mine every time my light comes on. i use mobile 1 5W20 with a fram oil filter. I'm thinking about extending the length between changes because i use synthetic oil.
However when ever you get your oil changed make sure to use 5W20 because i have heard of a person who used royal purple 5W30 in his 2010 ram and it ruined his engine and it voided his warranty.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
i have been changing mine every time my light comes on. i use mobile 1 5W20 with a fram oil filter. I'm thinking about extending the length between changes because i use synthetic oil.
However when ever you get your oil changed make sure to use 5W20 because i have heard of a person who used royal purple 5W30 in his 2010 ram and it ruined his engine and it voided his warranty.

If you still have a warranty on your truck, live and breathe by the owners manual and dont go beyond that interval. Don't change your oil based on what the back of an oil bottle says...while it is true that synthetics "broaden" your range of protection from heat and thermal breakdown...every engine is different, every persons driving characteristics are different...

Gray2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that is very true. i do a lot of back and forth trips around my house with a small percent of 25 min drives on the highway to the property

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
see, heat cycles KILL oil additives...the longer you can keep engine oil above 160 degrees the better and easier on the oil...so someone doing short trips to the grocery store or around the block is actually making their oils work harder than someone taking a 2 hour trip across the county.

Gray2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ya thats what my supervisor told me one night while cleaning up along with some other things about oil

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm due for my first oil change on my 2011 and the light came on at just about 3500 miles. I'll do this one at the dealer since I got a free oil change. Then switching to mobile 1 and I usually do them around 4000 miles with no issues.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4.

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why does the light come on around 3K miles if you don't need to change it that often?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
who knows. maybe because its my first?

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No-my light comes on around 3K each time. (I'm at 11,7 or something now)

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
Bah. Who ever is recommending Mopar filters needs shot.

By in large that filter can be several different makes depending on the batch number. It could be a rebadged Wix one go around and it could be a rebadged Fram. The problem? You never know what you're going to get and it can create a LARGE issue. Take Fram filters for example... The filter element in them is notorious for falling apart after a few thousand miles. Not a big deal if you use conventional oil and change every 3,000 miles, but if you like to use synthetic and go the full 6,000 to 8,000, then you will have problems. I found this out the hard way with my 1997. Used a fram on it one time and when I went to change the oil, the element was literally plopping out of the oil pan on me. Ever since that incident, the motor has a noticable tick on the driver's side of the motor from a buggered up valve.

When it comes to oil, there really is no reason to not be using a synthetic. Up front they cost more, but in the long run, they are actually cheaper. Always pick a well known brand. Really doesn't matter which you go with, but Mobil1 and Valvoline are my favorites. MAKE sure you use 5w-20 in the 5.7 ONLY. With the MDS in the motor, it relies on the oil weight to ensure proper engagement and disengagment of the feature.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
well I did my myself. Never had time for the dealer. I did it at 4k Mobil1 oil and Fram tough guard filter. I have been using that combination for 10+ years.

Although I need the level kit. It was a pain to get under the air dam comfortably in front to get the filter.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm due for my first oil change on my 2011 and the light came on at just about 3500 miles. I'll do this one at the dealer since I got a free oil change. Then switching to mobile 1 and I usually do them around 4000 miles with no issues.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4.

Why does the light come on around 3K miles if you don't need to change it that often?

No-my light comes on around 3K each time. (I'm at 11,7 or something now)

What's this light you speak of? Mine never came on and I changed my oil at 8300 miles. Evic didn't display any messages either

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The EVIC should display a message saying Oil Change due or something like that. Plus it will issue you an extra chime when you start the truck.

OP-Where did you see 8000 miles in the manual? I haven't looked in mine, but I read the book in my mom's 09 and it specifically says to never go over 6000.

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And that's the first oil change you're supposed to do? Crazy!

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're seems to be some confusion though about the second and so on oil changes. My dealer sticker says in 3,000 miles but the owners manual says in 8,000 miles