Oil filters, non OEM leaks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Epillon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a small puddle of oil under my truck so since I'm a hypochondriac I called my dealer for an appt asap. They got me in same day (miraculous) and said the filter was leaking because it was some Mobil oil filter Pep Boys installed in my last oil change just 2k miles ago.

So has anyone else had issues with non OEM oil filters? Seemed a bit of a rubbish to me because I run K&N's on all my bikes and have never had a leak. Think it was just loose or the o ring wasn't set well, can only speculate since they changed the oil fresh and tossed everything.

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the OEM's leak. Service manager at my dealer even admitted that Mopar was having problems with them leaking. I switched to the Mobile1 Extreme, no leaks, on my second one now.

EDIT: Actually now that I've thought about it, it wasn't that the Mopar filter leaked it would loosen up and then leak.

Last edited:

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
"Pep Boys installed in my last oil change". There is your issue.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read somewhere the sealing surface on some have a rough surface , due to an incomplete machining process . Lots of people have had the oil leak issue .
Remove your filter and see for yourself if the machined surface is nice and smooth . Make sure there's no perpendicular scratches across the face of the sealing surface . Small scratches that can be felt with your fingernail can create a passage for hot thin oil to escape .
Hope this helps .

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've use Mopar, Fran, Puralotor, and M1 without leaks. Never had any issues with leaks on other cars either. Like other people mentioned, either poor service techs or bad seal surface.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last oil change I used a Napa Gold filter and no leaks. I do my own services too

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
every mobil1 ive used leaked... even on my brothers truck same issue.. surface was always clean.. lubed and tight... as much as every one seems to dislike fram... ive never had an issue with the XG2

OP
OP
Epillon

Epillon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Pep Boys installed in my last oil change". There is your issue.

This location by house is cool because I can hang in the bay the entire time the mechanic is working and can see any shenanigans. They're fairly reliable for minor stuff but I'd never have them do anything beyond the oil and tire rotation.

What's interesting is some have said their leaks stopped with a non OEM filter but thats when mine started.

Actually it's impossible for me to say anything with any certainty since I don't know why the filter was leaking ie..bad install, wrong torque, bad filter? Anyway, it's fixed and running like a beast still.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got money that says the old filter O ring stayed attached to the mounting surface of the engine and they apply the new filter over that. It happens.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
fram synthetic filter, no leaks. On my second one now

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
There is not a brand out there that has not made a filter that never leaked. It happens.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I got money that says the old filter O ring stayed attached to the mounting surface of the engine and they apply the new filter over that. It happens.

form my own experience ( young, know it all, 16 year old...oops) that does not turn into a "leak", it turns into a rapid oil evacuation when oil pressure rises. :rotflmao:

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't experienced a leak. I don't think they lubricate the filter gaskets at the assembly plant before they install the filters. Give how tight mine was on the truck, they must be aware of leak issues and are giving the filters an extra turn. I had a heck of a time getting mine off the first time. Since the first change, I haven't had any more issues.

Here is what it looked like after I finally got it off.

Attachments

• 20160131_125430.jpg
    20160131_125430.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 64

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I haven't experienced a leak. I don't think they lubricate the filter gaskets at the assembly plant before they install the filters. Give how tight mine was on the truck, they must be aware of leak issues and are giving the filters an extra turn. I had a heck of a time getting mine off the first time. Since the first change, I haven't had any more issues.

ooo god!!!

im lucky my first 5 changes are free through the dealer. using them FAST (early changes) gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Changing my first few changes early knowing that their is always a higher amount of metal sheded off the parts in the first few thousand miles.

don't know if it helps anything, but it cant hurt and tickles my fancy

How did you end up getting that mangled mess off? I would really start worrying when the bottom starts turning and the top doesn't.

fredansandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to puncture the filter towards the top with a small screwdriver being careful not to damage the threads. It was tedious, but it worked.

Reading this thread about leaking filters really makes me wonder if that is why it was so difficult to remove. FCA knowing about the leaking filters may be installing them tighter than normal to prevent leaks.

This past weekend I did the 2nd oil change on the truck and the Royal Purple filter I installed per the instructions came off with no problems.

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read this....

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/2013_oil_leak_@_filter-32095/

I had the same issue with oil constantly leaking past the filter, dealer replaced my filter adapter under warranty and she's dry as a bone now. Here's the star case info....

STAR Case S1309000010 - Engine oil leak from oil filter adapter area. The repair is if the oil filter adapter threads are rolled or damaged, replace connector/nipple with new hardened connector/nipple and torque to 30lbs.ft (41nm).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Epillon

Epillon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Oh lawd that's a mess! Lol I remember the struggle of filters without a socket nut on my older bikes. The dang strap pullers never work so it's always a stab through it with a screwdriver and torque the entire filter off! But that's impressive the amount of destruction you laid down.