One truck, 10 years.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
If you could buy one truck that you were keeping for 10 years, what model would you buy? Would you buy a Longhorn so you're comfortable and wanting for nothing, or would you say it's got too many electronics to go wrong with it? Would you buy an Express and say simple is better for the 10 year timeframe?

I have a 16 BigHorn that is supposedly being bought back by FCA, IF it lasts that long. I had a 96 Ram that had a slipping tranny when I traded it for a 98 Ram. When I got rid of it, the tranny was slipping, I had a 12 Ram that was awesome, this 16 has been the worst vehicle I've ever owned. 3 out of 4 Rams were NOT the best, but I like the brand. I really need something to last me for the next 10 years though. Am I a slow learner???

Chevrolet doesn't appeal to me, Ford's Ecoboost scares me but the 5.0 doesn't so that is a strong possibility, Tundra fuel mileage worries me....

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Express, simple truck with the basics. Bought mine for the long haul.

Attachments

• 20170710_091658.jpg
    20170710_091658.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my '12 thinking it would be my 10 year truck, so I got it loaded and have ZERO regrets. I'd rather have it and not need it then the other way around when it comes to truck features.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you even consider wanting a longhorn then get exactly that. You'd miss those features if you didn't get them and wind up getting a new truck. That's how it always goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my '12 thinking it would be my 10 year truck, so I got it loaded and have ZERO regrets. I'd rather have it and not need it then the other way around when it comes to truck features.

Agree. Always better to get more features than need be, as it could be more costly to upgrade or install down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The truck I just bought is the one I plan on keeping for the long term and went HD, custom optioned and ordered from the factory for just that reason. Laramie 2500, 6.4L/4.10. I wanted to move to HD for the payload, longer bed standard, transfer case, 6.4 Hemi, suspension set up, possibility for mods you cant do or are questionable on a 1500, the list goes on. All of those things I wanted for a long term truck. The Laramie was always the trim I knew id get. There are certain things it has that you cant option in a Big Horn and as much as I love the Longhorn interiors, I knew going in I would worry too much about ruining such a nice interior over the years. The Laramie is just nice enough where it feels plenty upscale, but im not scared to use it like a truck and then just clean it up afterwards. The seats in the Laramie are much more comfortable than the cloth seats in the Big Horn.

I was very happy with my 1500 and have been even happier with the new truck. Bottom line is whatever your needs for a long term truck, make sure you get what options you really want and get plenty of truck for your needs.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
My thinking in 10yrs half that stuff wont be working any longer, see to many post about the 8.4 radio not working right, back up cameras, back up sensors, park assit ,electronic seat, warmer and coolers.

Had to many trucks loaded out to only have those things start to fail to early. Shoot the drivers seat in my 07 with only 94k on the clock stopped working.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you could buy one truck that you were keeping for 10 years, what model would you buy? Would you buy a Longhorn so you're comfortable and wanting for nothing, or would you say it's got too many electronics to go wrong with it? Would you buy an Express and say simple is better for the 10 year timeframe?

I have a 16 BigHorn that is supposedly being bought back by FCA, IF it lasts that long. I had a 96 Ram that had a slipping tranny when I traded it for a 98 Ram. When I got rid of it, the tranny was slipping, I had a 12 Ram that was awesome, this 16 has been the worst vehicle I've ever owned. 3 out of 4 Rams were NOT the best, but I like the brand. I really need something to last me for the next 10 years though. Am I a slow learner???

Chevrolet doesn't appeal to me, Ford's Ecoboost scares me but the 5.0 doesn't so that is a strong possibility, Tundra fuel mileage worries me....

I was a GMC owner prior to my Ram purchase. I researched what I like and wanted, fuel economy, and joined and scoured forums during my search. I didnt want another GMC/chevy because I felt their front end suspension was garbage and constantly fixing ****. Not a fan of Ford whatsoever, hard pass for me and was not a consideration. Pretty much left me between the Tundra and the Ram. From what I read, the Tundra was a MUCH weaker frame and the suspension was "squishy" like the GMCs and I wanted a truck truck. Throw in the crappy gas mileage for the Tundra and there was little incentive to lean toward the Toyota route. And who could resist the hemi!?

I kinda had my pick between a handful of trim levels but up in AK the selection is rather limited and each trim level up gets stupid expensive. I landed on a CPO '13 SLT after looking at the Express, SLT, and Big Horn. I didnt like the plastic bumper of the Express I looked at, and I knew I preferred the 17" wheels instead of the 20" on the Express. The Big Horn was a bit too fancy for my tastes. Super comfy, but more than what I needed and how I would be treating the truck. The SLT for me was the perfect trim because I have more comfort than I could ask for, steel bumper (chrome.... plasti-dipped but will be getting bed lined soon), not too many electronics where I fear something catastrophic could happen all the time but enough to keep me comfy and entertained, and the color was nice too lol :naughty:

I bought the Maxcare lifetime warranty for 2800 or so and have cashed in for more than what I paid for already. Knowing I will be keeping this truck for at least 10 years made that extra lump more than worth it and in conjunction with proper maintenance I have no doubt this truck will go the distance

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an Express that I plan on keeping a long time. It has what I need and nothing I don't. Sure I'd prefer a Laramie but I'm not going to die without a heated steering wheel, leather, or a bigger radio. I'll probably add a back up camera, steering wheel controls, and remote start at some point and then it will have everything I want.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I didn't worry about price - a Limited for sure... fully loaded with every option and 4x4. It would keep me from wanting to upgrade until the next body style..... thats my plan for the next one.

Smokey613

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We plan to keep our 2014 Laramie CC for a long time. Got the Max Care 7/100 on it. It did not have every option we wanted but it's pretty loaded. We had our 2004 2500 SLT w/ 5.9L CTD HO for 10 years and it was fairly worry free. Still looked and drove like new when we traded it in on the '14.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 11 ST with the Hemi and I admit I didnt know what I was doing when looking for a Ram I just knew I wanted a Ram and I regret not looking for a Higher trim level I love how my Ram works and drives just a tad bland for my taste especially if I want a decade lasting truck next time Im getting Every bell and whistle available either staying with a supped up 1/2 ton or might go laramie CTD either way its gonna be Mint*

Ram904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

OP, any Ford should scare you. I've owned several Ford's and they all have been POS. Ford's electronics are shlt and the 5.0 has a shlt oil pump that will fail. I had to use a hammer and hit the steering wheel to start my 2010 F150; 4 Ford dealers couldn't figure out the problem. My 2015 Mustang had a similar issue. Plus, the new F150s have bodies built out of recycled beer cans. I would stick to Ram or go with Toyota. My 2014 Tacoma TRD off road has been completely abused and never failed. I suspect that Tundras are pretty stout even though I have never owned one. But I would absolutely never consider a POS Ford. I'd buy a Titan before I bought another F150. I should post the video of how I had to start my F150 lol.

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got an express, I'm hoping to keep my truck for the Long haul, debating on getting the max care, only got 17k on my 16. I prefer simple with fewer bells and whistles, less complicated equals less **** that can break. Only things I wish my truck had was an lsd and lumbar support built into the seats.
Op if you're thinking about a Ford get the 5.0, they sound awesome and are supposed to be pretty reliable. Ecoboost I'd stay the hell away from, buddy has had to have his rebuilt twice by the dealer, there's an issue with the water pump design, and real worldmpg is not all that great, plus they sound like a bag of wet ***** going through a snowblower going down the road.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've gone through many trucks looking for my 10 year truck. I don't think that exists. I had an 07 Ram half ton that had tons of electronic gremlins. Switched to Chevy...had 2 of them, the latest a '14 half ton that started having problems. I finally decided a 2500 might be better for longevity. I'm a year into my 2500 Ram with 6.4L and am happy. It has its finicky things but overall nothing major yet and am praying it lasts 10 years!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: RWW

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty happy with my express.

There isn't ever a time I get in an think "I wish I had this or that"...

I too have had loaded up vehicles....never use half of it. Keepin it for the long haul so who cares about resale value.

I'm stickin to the KISS mentality.

Reactions: RWW

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
limited with a lifetime warranty.

MikeG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the express cause I like to play/change things to my liking.

You couldn't give me a chevy.

I like the ford but I think it's way over priced

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few have said it and I'll add the same comment. Whatever you choose, if you have a ten year commitment in mind, spring for the LIFETIME Warranty. It's worth the $2800 or so because anything but the brake pads and tires and wiper blades (and probably a few little bits I'm forgetting) is covered with a $100 deductible. Get the truck you want/can afford and run with it. I bought a CPO and sprang for the warranty after the purchase so I paid out of pocket instead of financing it as I felt it made more financial sense. Remember that the warranty is NOT transferrable. I put my wife on the paperwork so if anything happens to me or her, the warranty will continue. This is something you think about at 68 years of age, especially if you aren't planning on EVER replacing the truck. :favorites13: (Had my '02 Dakota 4X4 for 16 years!)

Last edited:

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My last truck was a 2nd gen 2002 2500 CTD slt regular cab long bed, it had some bells and whistles. I owned it from 2005 until 2014. In 2014 I purchased a 14 ram 1500 express 4x4 regular cab short bed. I'm very happy with my 14 ram 1500, it has everything I need. Only down side is I bought it off the lot and it has manual windows. I am fine with it but sometimes I feel like I should have got power windows. My idea when buying it was to keep it for a long time. I love the hemi and being in northern indiana 4x4 was a must.