Opinions please, another extended warranty thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK.....

I got mine from Clay...and did so @ 47 months & 17k miles...paid $2430 for lifetime 100 deductible.

And the prorated thing, well, I wouldn't count on that too heavily...as when you read the fine print, the warranty starts with the vehicle in service date, which is the date you buy the truck, NOT the date you buy the warranty. Some, like mine, even tho I got it 6 months ago, are only worth a small fraction if cashed in, again, due to the in service date being when they start the counter.

So, your 7 yr warranty is only 4 yrs more than the 3 yrs you get for free, and the lifetime, well, it's lifetime until the repair bill is more then the truck is worth, then they give you the value of the truck. Some people on here claim they will get 100% back, but the paper from mine does not support this.....it's is not that way for all the warranty's they offer, so check into it real good.

I shopped for this from the time my truck was 6 mo old till I got it, and the cost didn't change, so I waited. When the quote for a truck that had 32k on it was the same as a truck with 6k on it, I decided I could wait to buy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK.....

I got mine from Clay...and did so @ 47 months & 17k miles...paid $2430 for lifetime 100 deductible.
I shopped for this from the time my truck was 6 mo old till I got it, and the cost didn't change, so I waited. When the quote for a tuck that had 32k on it was the same as a truck with 6k on it, I decided I could wait to buy.

This is my thinking as well, and nice to hear from someone that took the same approach I'm considering!

Thank you all for your opinions. I do like new vehicles, but I can go the distance if I have a reason to. Again, if I do buy the LIFETIME warranty, I'm personally committing myself to owning this truck as long as it lasts. Without the warranty, I'm skeptical if I'd go 100K + miles. An added benefit with the warranty in place, I can start driving the truck with the mindset "I don't care how many miles I put on the truck". As it is now, we try to keep miles down and drive my 2005 G6 with 142K miles when possible, which I hate paying for something so nice and new but you don't want to put miles on just to stretch the 3yr/36000 clock. To me, the LIFETIME is a no brainer. :happy107:

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Geico has a warranty service , its like 120 bucks a year, covers everything on the power train , even lift kits. I use it on all my vehicles, used it on my lofted ranger last year , 100 dollar deductible and got my fuel pump fixed free of charge. Don't have to go to the dealer either , they pay the repairs over the phone with a credit card. Worth looking into?

Appreciate that, I wasn't aware of this service. It looks like you have to sign up within 15 months or 15,000 miles of ownership, and the only negative I see is it will only be good up to 7 years 100,000 miles. At $120 a year for 5 years = $600 (about how long it will take for us to get 100,000 miles), that's pretty cheap if we were just to figure keeping the truck to 100,000 miles. And $250 deductible, that's really not too bad considering that would still be saving about $2000 over the MOPAR lifetime. How reliable is GEICO at paying out though? I've never used them. They claim they cover everything mechanical and electrical.

You sir gave me something else to ponder. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure I remember reading in my Lifetime MaxCare contract that while it's not transferable you can cash out a prorated amount if you sell the truck (or want out for some other reason, I suppose).

There is a "service fee" of some sort and I'm sure they stick it to you but at least you could get out if you want. I think with it being "lifetime" they base it off of 150K miles. This is foggy memory from nearly 3 years ago but should be in any of the contracts if anyone cares to research.

It's pro-rated based on 7 years 100,000 miles. After 100,000 miles, you can still cancel and get a check for a wopping $25 :)

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK.....

And the prorated thing, well, I wouldn't count on that too heavily...as when you read the fine print, the warranty starts with the vehicle in service date, which is the date you buy the truck, NOT the date you buy the warranty. Some, like mine, even tho I got it 6 months ago, are only worth a small fraction if cashed in, again, due to the in service date being when they start the counter.

So, your 7 yr warranty is only 4 yrs more than the 3 yrs you get for free, and the lifetime, well, it's lifetime until the repair bill is more then the truck is worth, then they give you the value of the truck. Some people on here claim they will get 100% back, but the paper from mine does not support this.....it's is not that way for all the warranty's they offer, so check into it real good.

I shopped for this from the time my truck was 6 mo old till I got it, and the cost didn't change, so I waited. When the quote for a tuck that had 32k on it was the same as a truck with 6k on it, I decided I could wait to buy.

who is clay? tks

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
who is clay? tks

The guy mentioned in the original post.....

I know I have personally sent over a dozen people to him, not counting any that may have ended up there from my posts here....every one of them saved money over previous estimates given by other sellers...some were significant, as in close to $1000 saved.

0bnxshs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The guy mentioned in the original post.....

I know I have personally sent over a dozen people to him, not counting any that may have ended up there from my posts here....every one of them saved money over previous estimates given by other sellers...some were significant, as in close to $1000 saved.

I saved a great deal of money with Clay on a warranty for a 2014 Jeep GC over what my dealer or FCA online wanted. But here's why. It's the same FCA warranty as any dealer or FCA online will sell you for an FCA warranty. The warranty is insurance. In the state of Florida (at least) insurance is regulated to the point of fixing prices. When I got the quote from Clay I went to my dealer to ask if he'd sell it to me for the same price. He can't. In Florida, and likely other states, the price is regulated. Just something to consider for anyone buying a warranty locally.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
An update to my old thread. I'm in contact with Clay again and going to pursue getting the LIFETIME warranty contract written up. My initial quote last December was $2430. I inquired again last week and it had gone up in May to now $2865. So for those who are holding off because the price didn't seem to change much in the first couple of years, it seems it did for me.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
An update to my old thread. I'm in contact with Clay again and going to pursue getting the LIFETIME warranty contract written up. My initial quote last December was $2430. I inquired again last week and it had gone up in May to now $2865. So for those who are holding off because the price didn't seem to change much in the first couple of years, it seems it did for me.

There doesn't seem to be a reason to wait to buy the extended warranty. The Max Care always begins its coverage on the date and mileage the vehicle was delivered to you.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just holding off for the sake of having more time to come up with the money, and thinking I wasn't losing anything by buying more time. Lesson learned.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That seems like a pretty sharp increase but I guess everything goes up. Did you also shop Ziegler again this time around. That's who I ended up buying from. If I remember right they were a couple bucks cheaper than Clay back in 2014 when I purchased.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That seems like a pretty sharp increase but I guess everything goes up. Did you also shop Ziegler again this time around. That's who I ended up buying from. If I remember right they were a couple bucks cheaper than Clay back in 2014 when I purchased.

I spoke with Brian at Ziegler (Bob Cline was out) and he just quoted me from http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/ with a $200 promo, which brought it down to $2,980 from them.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you guys don't follow Lehto's Law on YT, I would suggest taking a look.
He deals with the law concerning automobiles etc.
Here are a few concerning automotive warranties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8QlB7hCB3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmOYj6PKil8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkGqlYdY92c

That guy looks like a great resource for car stuff but he's not really talking about what OP is in this case. Those links deal with 3rd party warranties - often referred to as "aftermarket". And yes, they suck bug hairy balls and most aren't worth the paper they are written on.

The Mopar backed MaxCare is generally an extension of the factory warranty.

Yobuck139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased lifetime max care for my 17 PW from Clay last month. Quick and easy to deal with and best price I could find. I would recommend him any day. I plan on keeping my truck for a long long time and now I can rest easy on repairs. The electronics are what I'm most afraid of and that is the only reason I traded my '13 in. Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam