OTD Prices on New Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

NOLA ItsNotOva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some locations/dealers won't budge. Period.
There theory is "if you don't buy it, the next guy will".

I've found the larger dealers around me are like that. You show them numbers from another dealer, and their comment is " no way.. we can't buy it for that". Lol..ok
The one that is closer to me has been for sale for months. Keep checking their website and its still up. Don't have my down payment together yet tho. And no add ons for me lol. Just want the spray in bed liner

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
around me they start out 10-15k off sticker (towards the 15 for all the bs rebates that 99.9% people dont get).

If you add this type of price plus a non inflated trade in value are you still at the same as the deal you are speaking of earlier?

also as to your tax game if they told you that its them even playing more numbers with you. ex you buy the truck for 45k but they give you 9k for a trade. you pay tax on 36k. or they give you the new truck for 40k but only give you 5k for your trade you still only pay tax on 36k!!

one of the best advices what was ever given to me was to do it as two separate deals. first come to a price on the new truck (acting like there is no trade) then add the trade into it.

Jeff Belzer's | New Vehicles for Sale in Lakeville, MN

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
around me they start out 10-15k off sticker (towards the 15 for all the bs rebates that 99.9% people dont get).

If you add this type of price plus a non inflated trade in value are you still at the same as the deal you are speaking of earlier?

also as to your tax game if they told you that its them even playing more numbers with you. ex you buy the truck for 45k but they give you 9k for a trade. you pay tax on 36k. or they give you the new truck for 40k but only give you 5k for your trade you still only pay tax on 36k!!

one of the best advices what was ever given to me was to do it as two separate deals. first come to a price on the new truck (acting like there is no trade) then add the trade into it.

Jeff Belzer's | New Vehicles for Sale in Lakeville, MN

My dealer had several incentives I didn't qualify for. One was if anyone in the household leases a vehicle. Nope.
One was if you recently purchased a piece of AG equipment from a certain manufacturer. Nope.
Couple others I can't think of off the top of my head that are so unlikely to ever be used. Surprised they don't have a $10,000 born on Feb 30, incentive. Lol.

Your correct on the tax. No matter how the dealer got to the bottom#, you still pay tax on that#.

However it's been my experience, that the less they take off the top, and put it on the trade, the more likely you are to get add-on thrown into the deal, as on "paper" they have more room to work with.

Bottom line. You have to know the numbers game. Every version of it. Don't get caught up in the moment. Walk away, run the #'s yourself to figure out if it's a good deal or not.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
At this point I am now only talking about OUT THE DOOR price, including ALL taxes and fees.

Now we will subtract the trade, and the cash.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
At this point I am now only talking about OUT THE DOOR price, including ALL taxes and fees.

How can you talk about OTD price to include all taxes and fees? Every locale has different taxation and dealer fees. Wouldn't it be more realistic to talk price not including taxes and fees?

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi

How can you get a OTD price with taxes and fees, then throw in the trade which is going to change that #. Especially the tax...

I get the theory of getting the price down to the lowest you can, then hitting the dealer up with your trade.

However, before I even step foot on the lot, I know what the average trade in is, what my trade is selling for, and what I'm willing to take for it.

I go in with a simple approach. What's the bottom #, and how close is it to the number I've got in my head.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As others have said, it is a pretty big crap shoot and depends on a lot of factors.

Rather than focusing on a dollar amount off sticker, shoot for a percentage. You can expect to get anywhere from 15-25% off sticker depending on the truck, time of year, location, volume, etc. etc.

If you don't get a final number you like, be patient and move on until you find one that you are happy with. Again, don't search for getting $10k off and just assume that is a good deal. Look for % off.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OTD price will be different for all. Like mowin stated above with those few extra rebates he may not get, personally I have used the competitive lease discount, and supplier price on both my 2015 ram and 2015 chry 200 that i purchased 1 month apart from one another.

but yes taxes will be different and locations get different rebates.

however since i purchased my old '13 i have see most rams near me 10-15k off.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 20% rule of thumb is a good one to start with. You can squeeze a little more out of a deal depending on how strong the dealer is. I have bought two ram trucks and got 21%(express) and 24%(big horn) off sticker with a minimum of fussing.

Personally I don't have the time or patience to screw around and beat a dealer to death for a few hundred dollars. My last 3 deals were internet sales. I made contact, told them I knew the trucks I was interested in on their lot. Went down, picked one, and said lets get this done in 5 minutes. One deal took 30 seconds, another took 2 minutes, the last took 7 minutes (they low balled my trade to start). It is critical to know your credit before going -I know BOA will tell you your credit score for free if you have a credit card.

biz4765

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
17 express crew black edition in 12/2016 46K msrp sale price 37K even plus tax and fees obviously. A 16 would have been cheaper due to year end rebates but I was impatient so I went with the 17 rather than finding and shipping a 16.

Co worker got a 16 big horn crew same day same dealer 48 msrp 36 sale price. High volume dealer in Phila PA region. Tri County Dodge