overheating issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazynewf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have issues with my 2009 2500hd 5.7 hemi i drove to work today everything was fine i started it an hour later and started driving and it maxed the temp gauge. i bought a new thermostat but that did nothing i lost reading on temp gauge with lightning bolt on, now it is back again staying at hot even after truck is off for 2+ hrs now its bouncing around mid to max temp. top and bottom hoses are heating up and after a bit build pressure in them. temp will not return to normal and fluild is full, ran it for 10 min with cap off to get air out

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Water Pump?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Have you changed your Hoat coolant at all? It can also be a blockage, I would verify first that the pump isn't pumping. Is your heater blowing cold?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It may not be your water pump then, you should take it to a mechanic like immediately, I wouldn't drive too much on it at all. Somebody could have mixed coolants at one time?

Does the radiator fan work?

One good reason for clear radiator lines, they are a pretty cool upgrade.

07V8stang.jpeg

Last edited:

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It may not be your water pump then, you should take it to a mechanic like immediately, I wouldn't drive too much on it at all. Somebody could have mixed coolants at one time?

One good reason for clear radiator lines, they are a pretty cool upgrade.

07V8stang.jpeg

That's a really good idea!

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the truck is still running fine it sounds more like a bad temp sensor. If you maxed the temp out and then kept driving it I'd think you'd have other signs/symptoms. If the coolant level is still full and tests good(you can go to oreillys and they will let you use their coolant tester) then I'd lean more towards a sensor. Just my .02. If you disconnect it it should zero out gauge. Worth a shot before embarking on changing the water pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
They put the waterpump on the assembly line.

Then they build the truck around it......

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice man. Glad you got it fixed [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk