P0016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Covey7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 RAM 1500 5.7 L Hemi with 48000 miles. I started getting P0016 I replaced camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor cleared Error code start truck twice and it come back. It's limited to 2500 RPM. Any other ideas?

MR.Z06

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a P0016 code on my Evo X when I swapped cams. Air got into the VVT cam gear actuators (MIVEC for the Mitsu, I don't know what Ram calls their system)-(the oil passages that actually adjust the cam) Anyway it would cause the cam position sensor to read slightly off on start up and thus the P0016 code.

I know you didn't swap cams just sensors but I'd start with the vvt system first.
-Dirty Oil
-Faulty Cam Sensor
-Faulty wiring
-Faulty oil control solenoid
-Stretched timing chain
-timing not correct
-Air in cam gear actuators

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Need someone with at least a two channel scope tool to check the camshaft/crankshaft correlation and know what the correct waveforms are for each.

Regardless, something is shifting the correlation out of spec. If I was to take a stabbing guess, you probably got a stretched timing chain but I would not even venture there until check out on a scope.