Painting Under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IGarbutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i believe there is a thread on here where members have painted there engine covers and air boxes etc... could somebody share a link to it or post pictures, want to see what parts are getting painted and different designs

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is done for prep, etc would be great to know too.
Adhesion promotor? Primer? Painting plastic is new to me and maybe some others here.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I need to take better pictures my phone camera Is going to hell. Ive done a little bit

JnHNQqx.jpg
udO0VMW.jpg
hRQe3Do.jpg

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Adhesion promotor? Primer? Painting plastic is new to me and maybe some others here.

I removed the cover and gave it a real good spray down and let it dry. 2 coats of normal automotive primer and 2-3 coats of spray paint and 2 coats of clear (Krylon).

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I think someone on here dipped their vararam cover to orange or some color to match the truck. Thought it turned out pretty sick.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Look at davidrams build thread he has done alot of work under the hood

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Depending on how **** you are about it will determine the level of prep you do. Here's my process and I've have pieces painted under the hood over several vehicles and never had any issues.

1. Spray down with a degreaser, I prefer simple green
2. Rinse thoroughly with water and let air dry
3. scuff surface with a green scotchbrite pad or 400 grit sand paper
4. Degrease, rinse, and dry again
5. 2 coats of adhesion promoter per product directions (this is optional if using a plastic primer like Krylon)
6. 1-2 coats of primer depending on color and coverage
7. Optional sanding with 600+ paper if you want a really smooth finish, clean and rinse after
8. 3-4 coats of color depending on coverage and saturation
9. Clear coat, as many layers as you want to do. If it's a part that gets dirty regularly then I do 5 coats, anything else just gets 3 coats.
10. Optional wet sanding with 1500+ wet sand paper to really gloss the part.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i believe there is a thread on here where members have painted there engine covers and air boxes etc... could somebody share a link to it or post pictures, want to see what parts are getting painted and different designs

Reopening an old thread here but it is a common question. Painted my engine cover almost 2 years ago using paints and preps found in any auto parts store. It is holding up very well.

This much paint costs about $50.
i-3Qwkxz9-L.jpg

Sand heavily, apply prep, apply primer, paint base coats.
i-3RBCvcf-L.jpg

Apply color coats:
i-5s65h9W-L.jpg

Apply clear coat and decals:
i-s3bLf8D-L.jpg

i-QPNZxMn-L.jpg

i-J3p83wg-L.jpg

Last edited: