Pentastar parts backorder - going on one month

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The truck sprung a leak after the last oil change, the "tech" probably went all Hulk on the plastic oil filter/cooler housing on top of the engine. Dealership is telling me the part is on backorder for almost a month now. Given that FCA is cranking out 100s if not 1000s of those engines every day that sounds like BS.

Does anybody have experience with FCAs spare parts logistics and can confirm it takes months to get back order parts ?

Also, if somebody here has access to the parts system I'd appreciate the part number, all online sources only list the up to 2013 part and AFAIK it was changed in 2014.

Thx.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have access to parts system at my dealer. I will need your VIN and the exact part your looking for.

Luke

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Idk why, but it sounds like the dealer is jerking you around. If it's the part I think you're talking about, the p/n is 68105583AF and it should be readily available.

OP
OP
C

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, Luke above got me that number already. Called another dealer 70 miles away and the parts guy didn't have the part in stock but did say the nearest parts distribution showed inventory as -88. There may be one at a dealer some 200 miles away. Oh well.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thing about back orders is that there is never an ETA. It's basically sometime between now and then.

The oil filter housing is a somewhat common leak point on the 3.6. I haven't replaced one in a little bit so I can't remember if they're currently on back order. I can't really see any reason why they would lie to you about a part on back order. So if you've called a couple dealers and they've all said the same thing then chances are they're not all in cahoots to jerk you around.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
punch in the number on ebay or a internet mopar parts site like allmoparparts.com on several things my dealer has given me a long lead time and i look the parts up online and have them in like three days.it must be something in their system that they have to get a part from a certain distribution center.i needed the bolt/install kit for my running boards and the dealer said like 30 days backorder.they were everwhere online.so they must not be able to like get a part from anothe dealer or something.my rear seatbelt was cut on my truck when new and the service department said the part was on backorder.i had one from denver in 3 days and installed it myself.5 weeks later they call for me to come get it installed i told them i installed one myself 4 days after i talked to them a month ago.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
punch in the number on ebay or a internet mopar parts site like allmoparparts.com on several things my dealer has given me a long lead time and i look the parts up online and have them in like three days.it must be something in their system that they have to get a part from a certain distribution center.i needed the bolt/install kit for my running boards and the dealer said like 30 days backorder.they were everwhere online.so they must not be able to like get a part from anothe dealer or something.my rear seatbelt was cut on my truck when new and the service department said the part was on backorder.i had one from denver in 3 days and installed it myself.5 weeks later they call for me to come get it installed i told them i installed one myself 4 days after i talked to them a month ago.

That approach only helps if you're not getting warranty repairs.

Obviously a dealer is only going to get warranty parts from their own distribution centres. Dealers are 100% able to get parts from another provided the dealer with the part will give it up. However if a dealer can get it from a distribution centre they prefer to do that as getting it from another dealer ends up eating into any profit on the part.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you need just the cap its like 12.00 bucks pat number 68191350 aa.on ebay the first three listing show 18 avaliable.if you need the whole cooler assembley its like 70.00 and i found just as many in stock its the part number listed earler in the post 68105583af.just in the ebay search type in mopar then the part number.give mopar parts online a shot first they're a sponsor.didn't know how mopar worked i know gm and ford don't work that way never had a problem getting a part from them ever and i've worked on a bunch of ****.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thing about back orders is that there is never an ETA. It's basically sometime between now and then.

Thanks that's some useful info. Still hard to believe that a company that does just-in-time manufacturing does not know when/where parts will show up ;)

I doubt the ebay sellers and somethingratherparts.coms have warehouses with 10000s of parts. They likely just relay the order to FCA and have it drop shipped, so I'll just be in the same queue.

The part that irks me is that RAM is most likely aware of the problems with the part (after all they are at AF revision already) and don't plan for enough parts.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks that's some useful info. Still hard to believe that a company that does just-in-time manufacturing does not know when/where parts will show up ;)

I doubt the ebay sellers and somethingratherparts.coms have warehouses with 10000s of parts. They likely just relay the order to FCA and have it drop shipped, so I'll just be in the same queue.

The part that irks me is that RAM is most likely aware of the problems with the part (after all they are at AF revision already) and don't plan for enough parts.

I sell things ( not parts ) on ebay, and while I drop ship some stuff, i only do it when I run out of inventory. I sell laptop bags a lot, and i order them in " cases " because I get a big discount, so I might have 5-10 of any of the bags I sell, i print the label, package it, and UPS picks them up in batches every morning at 10, it's highly possible he does the same thing, orders them in cases, then simply ships out each one. might be worth asking him about.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

There is over 1000 dealers right now that have that part on the shelves and multiple warehouses with it. There is no reason why the dealer can't get the part.

One of the eBay listings has a photo of the box with a manufacture date of sometime this month so they likely have it in stock.

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is my first Ram and I really like it, but this is the 5th story like this I have heard. Seems like Ram's service dept's need a major overhaul on their business practices. Very sad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is my first Ram and I really like it, but this is the 5th story like this I have heard. Seems like Ram's service dept's need a major overhaul on their business practices. Very sad.

It's the entire Chrysler dealership experience. I am a diehard Mopar guy, but I don't blindly buy Chrysler products just because of the name on them. I actually think they're making great vehicles these days and that's why I've bought so many. But, the dealerships are a major letdown. I've been to quite a few of them and even the "good" ones don't compare to those representing other brands.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It's the entire Chrysler dealership experience. I am a diehard Mopar guy, but I don't blindly buy Chrysler products just because of the name on them. I actually think they're making great vehicles these days and that's why I've bought so many. But, the dealerships are a major letdown. I've been to quite a few of them and even the "good" ones don't compare to those representing other brands.

This is my first new Mopar product. I've owned new fords, gm and Honda.

I've decided here recently that I'm sticking with American brands from here on out for personal reasons. But i will say, without any experience with the Dodge dealer yet, but based on what i read here, pretty much universally, the big 3 have the absolute worst warranty service out there. I've not gotten good assistance from ford or gm either.

Honda was willing to bend over backwards to try to make me happy and I've heard similar stories about toyota. The big 3 should take some customer service/warranty service lessons from Honda and Toyota. . Just my experience.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The parts are out there I have had several online dealers tasca and mopar parts hq mainly have to order parts not in stock directly from chrysler and even then I didn't take longer than a week at best.and they're just dealer parts departments that sell online.so I just don't understand it.when I have got parts from gm the old shipping label from another dealer would still be on the label sent to my dealer.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Part backorders have nothing to do with the service dept or the dealers. It has to do with the distribution centres and suppliers.

There is a 2015 diesel currently on our lot that has been there since February and the earliest timeline for the part it needs is June, and there is not a damn thing we can do about it.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Part backorders have nothing to do with the service dept or the dealers. It has to do with the distribution centres and suppliers.

There is a 2015 diesel currently on our lot that has been there since February and the earliest timeline for the part it needs is June, and there is not a damn thing we can do about it.

Wow, that's not good at all. Is FCA paying for a rental this entire time?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wow, that's not good at all. Is FCA paying for a rental this entire time?

Ya he has a rental. He's still pretty upset though, I don't blame him. I would be too. Good ole DEF problems, huge pain in the ass for everyone.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ya he has a rental. He's still pretty upset though, I don't blame him. I would be too. Good ole DEF problems, huge pain in the ass for everyone.

That's unfortunate, but at least they put him in a rental

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is over 1000 dealers right now that have that part on the shelves and multiple warehouses with it. There is no reason why the dealer can't get the part.

One of the eBay listings has a photo of the box with a manufacture date of sometime this month so they likely have it in stock.

Exactly. When I got the OP the part number I also told him we didn't have it in stock but a dealer close by had one and I could get it overnighted to me if need be. But I'm in Texas and he's in Oregon so shipping. I don't know if his dealer is jacking with him or they don't search that far out for the part at other dealers.
But it's out there. I know there's no backorder unless they aren't asking other dealers and they are just relying on Chrysler warehouses.

Luke